A bigger mill- 2 power heads or one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got my 36" mill working well with a ps-7900. Now to go bigger I either need to get another 7900 and a double ended bar OR a 120+cc saw- 088 or 880.

Seems that I can get a total of 12.6 hp with the two 7900's, and it would be cheaper than buying a 088 or 880, and the 880 only has 8.6 hp. When I mill big stuff,>36", I will have help. How hard is it to use a 2 powerhead mill???

Also have the advantage of the extra saw oiling the bar.

opinions please

i do it

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this, but for me it was a workable solution. I currently run 2 powerheads on a 66 inch bar, but am setting up a new GB mill with an 84 inch bar.
2 powerheads work and work well, BUT, you have to have 2 people. [Unless we can talk BobL into designing some neat controls.] You will have to do the math and see how it pencils out for you in your particular situation (dollar wise). It made sense for me financially and gave me the ability to handle big pieces. My advice is to carefully think it over and look at all the options considering cost AND utility. ( is an 880 or a 3120 usable in your situation for anything other than the mill? My 2 big saws are, the 3120 didn't seem to have much utility for me.) Also will you have a reliable milling partner? (I do.) The last thing?
Don't believe the naysayers, 2 powerheads do work and work well.
Don't be afraid of this approach if it is right for you.
Scott

Two powerheads will give more available power and due to the added power, possibly a higher average cutting speed, it will not give a higher maximum cutting speed with the same chain setup.

I went through the same process when starting out. At that point a had a ms361. Granberg advised me to go to the biggest saw I could buy instead of 2 power heads. I'm glad I did. Now I can cut when I like - never having to wait for someone else. The 880 easily handles my 60" bar. My helper never ended up helping anyway. If you cut bigger, you can always add another 880!! Good luck.

Steve.

Steve, you are right. My help is usually in the mirror or no where. I have 1 guy that is reliable when his leg works, but sometimes the guy is in too much pain to help. I love stihl saws and would like to get an 880 but man they ain't cheap. I have a friend that will loan me his 090 but I do not like to borrow stuff.

So the 880 will pull a 60" bar with no problemo?? I have been looking the used route and I think I can score a gently used one for about a grand. mmmmm

Latest posts

Back