A couple muffler modded Stihls.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawJunkie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Finally got to cut some today after work with my 390 that I did a muff mod on. It's running right around 14,200 and the improvement over stock is pretty substantial I think. It seems to be cutting really well where it's at so think I'll leave it. Also took the 440 along to finish noodling up some big rounds so I could move them. It has the factory DP muffler cover. It's just getting broke in good and I probably have somewhere around 10 tanks of fuel through her. Probably a few more than that. Anyway, I put the tach on just to see what she was turning. I was pretty surprised when I saw 16,000 reading on the tach!! I am guessing she loosened up a bit since I last adjusted the carb. I am thinking I better turn the saw down to about 14,500 or so to be safe. Cut like crazy, but I don't want to seize it.

Finally got to cut some today after work with my 390 that I did a muff mod on. It's running right around 14,200 and the improvement over stock is pretty substantial I think. It seems to be cutting really well where it's at so think I'll leave it. Also took the 440 along to finish noodling up some big rounds so I could move them. It has the factory DP muffler cover. It's just getting broke in good and I probably have somewhere around 10 tanks of fuel through her. Probably a few more than that. Anyway, I put the tach on just to see what she was turning. I was pretty surprised when I saw 16,000 reading on the tach!! I am guessing she loosened up a bit since I last adjusted the carb. I am thinking I better turn the saw down to about 14,500 or so to be safe. Cut like crazy, but I don't want to seize it.

16,000 would have been way to lean ,turn it down to where its 4stroking good and go with that

Yeah good burble at wot and put the tack away. Also check in in wood and Baker minor adjustments

ea, my 660 is right when set at 13,900 RPM with the DP and the stock outlet opened up to around 3/4". Stock is 13K.

I would think 14,5K would be max and I would keep an eye on the tune. Mine is cleaning up completely in the cut and burbling a bit at WOT.

ea, my 660 is right when set at 13,900 RPM with the DP and the stock outlet opened up to around 3/4". Stock is 13K.

I would think 14,5K would be max and I would keep an eye on the tune. Mine is cleaning up completely in the cut and burbling a bit at WOT.

I'll turn it down next week. I've been to busy working and the weather is miserable here. I pulled the muffler off and the piston and cylinder were fine. I was a little paranoid I guess.

16K ! That's screaming. Good for a weekend race saw but not going to last you long as a work saw. Manual says 13,500 +/- but tuning
to a mild 4 stroke is a proven method. :chainsaw:

WOW 16K!....and i thaught my 440 doing 14,100rpm was pushing it..lol..but my plug is still light brown...

Latest posts

Back