A Day of Recconing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a custom built radiator for it the other day. $650 plus the ride. A lot of money, but it's built to order.

Andy

Sounds reasonable -- I built top and bottom caps for a Pete radiator before; it's a lot of work, and a pain if stuff ain't stitched up right.

I'm not complaining, the cooling system is critical on these machines. The guy making it has been a lot of help too.
Changing from an oil cooled engine to a liquid cooled engine is a pain in the butt.

Andy

I'm not complaining, the cooling system is critical on these machines. The guy making it has been a lot of help too.
Changing from an oil cooled engine to a liquid cooled engine is a pain in the butt.

Andy

Wonder if liquid cooled won't present less problems for you in the future though?

Wonder if liquid cooled won't present less problems for you in the future though?

I've had both, and both work well if you keep up the maintenance on them. Mastication/Mulching is very maintenance intensive. You have to blow out the cooling system every few hours, keep all the debris out of the bottom of the machine, and wash it with a pressure washer at least once a week. If you put in 8 hours of mulching you've been there at least 12.

Andy

what ya didn't like the duetz?

The BF4M 2011 Deutz had some problems from the start. Fecon & Deutz wound up in a big law suit over them. From what I understand 70% of the engines used in the FTX 90 went south with very low hours. Mine has around 1700 hours on it and I considered that quite low hours, but apparently not for this particular model of Deutz.
I figured if I couldn't use my 3054T Cat that I might as well go with what Fecon chose to go with for what support it's worth.

Andy

yup, gotta keep um clean. I have a duetz in my bell, I must admit it is a very dependable motor. startingest thing I ever had.

I had a Bobcat 863 several years ago that had a Deutz. I had no complaint about that engine, it worked flawlessly for the 6000 hours I put on that machine.
I guess that they all make a lemon once in a while.

Andy

Well, it's been a long drawn out process, and it ain't over yet.
I have spent more time waiting on parts than actually working on this thing.
The monsoons hit, so I was getting rained out every day. In order to keep from complaining about the moisture that we need so desperately I went to TSC and bought a "garage in a box". Basically a 12'x20' tent, best $400 I've spent on this project.
I'm hoping to fire the engine by Monday evening, but so far the only goal I've achieved is that it's done right.

Here's a couple of the engine mounts.

This is what $3500 looks like sitting under the seat.

New radiator with old shroud mounted for what I hope is the last time.

The alternator that came on the Yanmar was too small for the task at hand, and they never intended for anyone to mount an AC compressor on this engine. So I had to get creative.

Andy

Radiator hoses, and an outrageously expensive Yanmar exhaust system installed. I'm going to have to put a "hood scoop" of sorts in to fit the exhaust.

Ain't she perdy?

Ease of maintenance is one of my goals. Should be plenty easy to get to the oil filter for changes. Isn't this what engineers are supposed to do when designing a machine like this in the first place?

Well, that's it for now. I'll let you know when she roars to life.

Andy

I bet I know your friend. Wonder if he lives anywhere near here.

That's the property we bought to put the business on. When I give directions I tell them to go through hell, and keep going 3 more miles...then turn left. :laugh:

Andy

You mean I dont have to drive up/down that damm hill no more??? woo hooo:rock:

Roy

Back