A few saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmopar1k

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to the saw collecting thing. I am now addicted and have a few questions. First, Is there a mod i can do on a Stihl 029 and 029 Super that would help. I have no access to a tach so I need a simple mod that won't require a tach. Second, What saw in the Stihl line is equal to the old 046? Third, I got a free old mac. 10-10. Is this saw worth getting running again?
Thanks for your time!!!

the universal first mod seems to be the muffler mod.
I had a quick look at the parts diagrams for your saws it seems they have a screen fitted, If you want to do a mod and keep the screens Mr lakeside53s mod seems to fit the bill
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528&page=3

fairly easy to do even easier if you dont need the screen as i did to my 036
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=61075&highlight=036+muffler+mod

im no expert on tuning a carb but i seem to be improving, i screwed the h and l in fully and wound them out 1 1/4 turns instead of the reccomended 1, and tuned from there.
do a search on tuning carbs theres loads to pick from
Cheers

046=MS460
About the 10-10, it all depends on what it needs. If it just needs some cleaning and adjustment, go for it. If it is missing pieces and the top end is shot, they make good door stops, or throw it on your coffee table and just see if it isn't a conversation piece.:)

well you dont have a tac but there are otherways to get RPM readings.
do you have a laptop?
or an MP3 player with a mic?
or a long mic and cable for your pc?
because all you need to do is take an audio recording of your saw running and you can get a fairly accurate RPM reading.
you need to get some frequency analysing software for your computer. and find a nice steady wave. if your saw resonates at say 216hz at WOT. well lets just do a little math here 216hz*60=12960RPM
becuase all the hz are is just Revolutions per second. multiply that by 60 and you get RPM.
its a handy trick for when you dont have a tac around.

Latest posts

Back