A fine day cuttin with the infamous dinger...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
First off, HUGE thanks to dingeryote!!

Knowing I've been out of wood, he let me come and help do some cutting on a big ol' tree he knew of that needed down. Really can't say thanks enough!

Now on to the pics...

Here she be in her natural vertical state

DSC07050Medium.jpg

So after rounding up the squad of tree death

DSC07053Medium.jpg

We attacked. Decided the best way to proceed was to split the two trunks and treat as two individual trees.

DSC07059Medium.jpg

Quick vertical cut and we were on our way

DSC07063Medium.jpg

While I was changing bars to the 28, dinger hopped in and plunged his back cut to send the first section on it's way to tree heaven. Being that my hands were full, no pictures were taken, but I assure you it was breath taking!

Then it was on to the face of the main trunk... By the 20th or so time my saw died, we arrived at two conclusions: 1) my idle screw was way outta whack and 2) the 28" of full comp RSC was not agreeing with my 8 pin rim. Being far too lazy to switch back to the 7, I just threw some full skip on and called it good.

DSC07068Medium.jpg

Face in place (finally)

DSC07078Medium.jpg

Just for size reference, I'm 6'

DSC07075Medium.jpg

Started in on the back cut a little wary being that the wind was making itself known

DSC07086Medium.jpg

Setting the far and near side hinge still wondering how things would play out

DSC07091Medium.jpg

Got my hinge width at the roughly 10% of Di I usually shoot for and started driving wedges...

DSC07094Medium.jpg

And NOTHING!

So I doubled up...

...and still NOTHING :laugh:

DSC07097Medium.jpg

After laughing at me, dinger suggested taking a bit more hinge away assuming we may have knot problems. Another few inches was all it took.

DSC07100Medium.jpg

At that point, we found the hold up. This freakin nasty knot was right in the hinge wood! When the tree went, it musta pulled about a foot of this thing out from the middle of the stump. :dizzy:

DSC07103Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Those knots in the face-cut look to be a real pain! Nice job and great pictures. It doesn't look like you could have gotten around those knots unless you went uncomfortably higher up the trunk, and in that case springboards would have been in order hahha. :clap:

Well of course we had to take the obligatory saws stuck in wood at odd angles shot...

DSC07106Medium.jpg

Making a mess

DSC07112Medium.jpg

The prop owner was nice enough to give us a little tractor help!

DSC07113Medium.jpg

Oh how I love standing ankle deep in chips and saw dust

DSC07117Medium.jpg

How does that spray can marker work? I have thought about getting one of those... Everything looks like 18" to me! I even marked it off on my saw bar and still can't get it right!:rolleyes:

We grabbed dinger's wood splitter after a late lunch but eventually ran out of daylight. No worries, just grabbed a few days worth of wood to take home for the time being. Left the trailer knowing we'll get back out in the next few days to finish this mess we started :chainsaw: :D

Seriously can't say thanks enough for the generosity!!! :cheers:

And as a side benefit, I learned more about agriculture and blueberries today than I'd ever known, and it was fascinating! :cool:

Stuff that size in a field I wouldn't care where it fell as long as it didn't fall on me.

:agree2: Pretty much sums it up.

But there is a little pride on the line :D Well that, and I like my bars and power head non tree mangled :laugh:

Cool pics guys!

Sorry I couldn't join you.

It's all good. We'll definitely catch ya some other time :cheers:

How does that spray can marker work? I have thought about getting one of those... Everything looks like 18" to me! I even marked it off on my saw bar and still can't get it right!

Personally I wouldn't cut without it now! Last year you could actually tell by looking at my wood pile when in the day I cut pieces... Morning everything seemed to be 18-20 and late afternoon everything seemed to be 13" rounds...:rolleyes: I hated stacking wood like that. With the mingo, everything comes out within 15.5-16.5" which I love. (my furnace fits 16s nicely) If you want other lengths, you can just buy different wheels for it.

LOL!!!

"Infamous" HA!!!!

I'm Just glad ya didn't have the Camera handy when I decided to demonstrate the "Enhanced Gravity" surrounding downed Elm Trees LOL!!
Some Papparazzi could have ruined my Ballet Career if those were leaked to the wrong people!

You are more than welcome, and we ain't done yet.
After that, there's a pile of logs from clearing a 5+ acre woodlot just up the road, the Old Orchard, and some swamp clearing in a new Blueberry field.:D

Had fun!!
(Except for that Rock that broke my fall:mad:)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm Just glad ya didn't have the Camera handy when I decided to demonstrate the "Enhanced Gravity" surrounding downed Elm Trees LOL!!
Some Papparazzi could have ruined my Ballet Career if those were leaked to the wrong people!

[straightface]I would never take pictures of someone in a compromising or embarrassing situation and then post them on the intarweb[/straightface]

Really sad I missed that on camera :angel:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Great job taking pics!

Let us know how it burns! Hopefully water isn't included!

LOL!!

I'm burning a bit right now. Not as stinky as "Pee" Elm, but once cooked a bit it burns OK. Could be better.

Gotta get Nuzz onto some dry stuff when things freeze again, so he can scorch the baffles clean on his burner.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:p:p
[straightface]I would never take pictures of someone in a compromising or embarrassing situation and then post them on the intarweb[/straightface]

Really sad I missed that on camera :angel:

:hmm3grin2orange:

I am sure other opportunities will present themselves.:camera:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2: Pretty much sums it up.

But there is a little pride on the line :D Well that, and I like my bars and power head non tree mangled :laugh:

Wedges are alot of fun, I agree. I use them in the woods so I don't hang up and have to fence post it. I normally try to do the drop with as little screwing around as possible. Not :censored: up the saw goes without saying.:cheers::cheers:

Back