A good load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well...maybe a skosh overload?

goodload.jpg

Second load of 3 ready for delivery on a 3 cord order. Guy helped out by picking up a trailer load to make the full 3 cord - saved me one trip.

Wouldn't try putting that much on if it were decent wood but that is Willow.

Harry K

Last edited:
Good load. You have a very good truck or that willow is awful light. If I tried to put that much wood on my truck I'd probably break something.

Just a guess, but i think that may be a little more than a half ton ! :clap:

Naaahhhhhh Looks like it is about half the weight in the bed as the truck. Looks about right. No point is testing it out anymore than this though. LOL

Good looking load of wood there Harry ! Somebodies going to stay warm this winter with what you are delivering. So it isnt the greatest, so what ! it makes heat. That's the important part. Pound for pound it is the same as any other. A few more pieces and a few more steps to make up for it but it is heat all the same.

Next good thing is , those deliveries are making more room for those monster Locusts you keep coming up with. I envy the work ethic you still show, you get out regularly gathering more wood. Not just any wood but wood with some nasty thorns all summer. I like to wait till it cools off so I get to wear a jacket for moderate protection.from them.

My hat goes off to you.

Last edited:
Dang, I'm glad you mentioned that was willow. You almost pushed me of ther edge to sell my 3/4ton and rebuild-restore an early 80's 1/2ton with a small cummins.

(Something I've wanted to do for a looong time. Wouldn't save much money compared to just buying a new one. But the old ones looked better IMO and you have to admit a 1/2 ton with a little 5-ish liter diesel would be very nice. No racer, but very practical...and good mileage. I hope the new crop of 1/2 ton diesels "survive" the market.)

Next good thing is , those deliveries are making more room for those monster Locusts you keep coming up with. I envy the work ethic you still show, you get out regularly gathering more wood. Not just any wood but wood with some nasty thorns all summer. I like to wait till it cools off so I get to wear a jacket for moderate protection.from them.

Heh. I just wish that I had some monster locusts to cut. I find 'em but 'getting' them is anohter question - thus far my score is the same as last spring - just that one site.

Scouted the roads up and back while delivering the last two days - results: 1 possible that I have to followup on. Anohter abandoned farmstead with some fair size ones - not a lot - estimate maybe 2-3 cord total.

If I don't have more success it will be back to the willow logging again next year.

Harry K

I have a 1 ton Ford and I always fill it that full. Never even squats the truck too much. But with a 460 in it I'll fill to the brim. It'll pass everything but a gas station
:givebeer:

giving the old ford a workout....eh?

not bad...hardly sagging.

It's sagging pretty good. Bumper is 1/2 the normal height. All paved road (15 miles worth) but a bit narrow. Didn't get over about 48 mph all three trips and the gas gauge dropped by 3/4 tank. It was an uphill haul all the way again. Why can't I ever get a haul going _down_ with a load?

Harry K

It's sagging pretty good. Bumper is 1/2 the normal height. All paved road (15 miles worth) but a bit narrow. Didn't get over about 48 mph all three trips and the gas gauge dropped by 3/4 tank. It was an uphill haul all the way again. Why can't I ever get a haul going _down_ with a load?

Harry K

Look at the bright side, when you are loaded heavy, its easier to stop going uphill.

Turnkey is the Willow worth burning? I have about a cord split, stacked and seasoned. It seems as light as Balsa Wood. I have not burned it yet, but it seems it may not be worth the effort.

Turnkey is the Willow worth burning? I have about a cord split, stacked and seasoned. It seems as light as Balsa Wood. I have not burned it yet, but it seems it may not be worth the effort.

I heat my house with it. Gopher wood for sure but why wouldn't you use it? It is already there, cut, split, stacked. So you make some extra trips to reload the stove, owb or whatever you are using. I usually, on a cold day, refill the stove about 1x/hour.

Harry K

Diced up a 40" willow trunk, and dropped the remaining 24" leader, took two weekends, it did heat the house, just more trips to the woodburner. My motivation: after that was cleaned up, 6 downed oak trees, 18"-32" dbh, that willow was easy to take as an appetizer.
Lots of people turned their nose up at that willow, and never knew what was waiting for them.

All wood burns at the same temperature, its how long it will burn that separates desirable from less.

Well...maybe a skosh overload?

goodload.jpg

Second load of 3 ready for delivery on a 3 cord order. Guy helped out by picking up a trailer load to make the full 3 cord - saved me one trip.

Wouldn't try putting that much on if it were decent wood but that is Willow.

Harry K

Is there something wrong with my computer? I can't get a picture to come up.

I have a 1 ton Ford and I always fill it that full. Never even squats the truck too much. But with a 460 in it I'll fill to the brim. It'll pass everything but a gas station
:givebeer:

Dual tanks will let you pass every other station. 460, nice to have there when you need it but you pay for it the other half of the time.

Is there something wrong with my computer? I can't get a picture to come up.

Was a pretty good load. 8 ft F150 stacked above the cab. In my book , Harry's da MAN !

Dual tanks will let you pass every other station. 460, nice to have there when you need it but you pay for it the other half of the time.

Only the last rick was stacked, the rest just tossed in. I wouldn't even try putting that much on stacked tight.

Was a pretty good load. 8 ft F150 stacked above the cab. In my book , Harry's da MAN !

Dual tanks am nice!! I have a buddy with no PU and he borrows mine. Always tops it up when he does. I have taken to running with one tank I am using and one tank 1/2 full. Makes him feel good to crank $50 gas into it :).

I just topped off the other day after the 3 load delivery = $68 and that is after the price came down to $3.69 from $4.27.

Harry K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back