A Good Trailer For Delivering One Cord Of Wood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big g

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
do youguys recomend any trailors for delivering wood. im tired of goingwith a half cord at a time. it doesnt have to be a dump style. im not really familar with these because i usually make two trips to deliver a cord i sellabout twelve cord a year locally justtrying to find the easist and cheapest way to deliver. thanks for any replies guys

A trailer is the cheapest, but far from the easiest way. Backing it into the tight spots that some customers have can be a real pain. Been there, done that. I use a F450 with a dump bed that holds 2 cords now.

I bought a nice used 7000 lb. Bri-Mar dump trailer for my own firewood. I added some PT wooden side extensions, but to the top of the steel sides is 120 cu ft (6x10x2). It has been one of the best investments i've ever made. Unloading is as simple as pushing a button.

wood001.jpg

ductape thats s great setup just whatim looking for if you dont mind what does something like that go for used.

It was only towed by a little old lady to church on Sundays! I'd say if you shop around, you can find one like mine in the $2000-2500 range. Maybe less if you're patient. Its alot if you are paying for it with a few cord a year. When i started burning wood years ago i had a little Nissan shortbed. Great on gas, but it used t take me four or more trips to bring home the same amount of wood i get in one trip now. I couldn't buy new, finances wouldn't allow. I assure you i've gotten my money back on this trailer already !!

yea thats really nice trailer i have an f150 six foot bed with rails on it and i hand stack it but the extra trip stinks i guess ill stick it out this year i didnt realize those tailers were that much but they sure are nice. thanks for the help ductape

I bought a nice used 7000 lb. Bri-Mar dump trailer for my own firewood. I added some PT wooden side extensions, but to the top of the steel sides is 120 cu ft (6x10x2). It has been one of the best investments i've ever made. Unloading is as simple as pushing a button.

What do you use to pull that trailer?

Kevin

DT,

I have a 2500 Cummins and a 6x12 landscaping trailer which I can easily get over a cord on, but the trailer is not ideal. I do have some landscaping equipment so having a low deck and quick/functional equipment gate is a must. I've been toying with buying a dump trailer similar to your (although either a 6x12 or 6x14) which would serve both duties. My only concern is I haven't seen many dump trailers with real equipment gates (other than the crappy pull out ramps which won't work for me).

Anyway, I can't really tell by your pictures, but it looks like you have a traditional equipment gate on yours. I also notice it looks like you've reengineered the hinges on the sides... can you please explain what you've done and maybe post a pic or two of the gate?

Thanks!

BTW, expect to pay over $2K for a used 6x10 dump trailer and $3.3k+ for a 6x12. 6x14+ usually go for $5k+ or so. If you think this is a lot of money, go get a quote on a new one... they are EXPENSIVE!

I would say any trailer would be a good trailer .. even if it double your capacity.

Keep you eye on the local lists and you'll find some good deals. I paid $1500 for a 6.5'x16' Tandem trailer, I slapped some sides on it and I'm laughing.. (just need a 4WD truck so I stop getting stuck!!:cry: )

Picked up a 7x10 dump trailer a guy built for 1500 he never used it! Built it and couldnt get the hydrulics to work :confused: I went to tractor supply bought a $275 cylinder some hoses, lowered the hinge point on the push of the cylinder and we were rocking! I looked for a year before i found that trailer, and then i had to drive 3 hours to get it hauled it back home on a sunday with no lights or plates. But, i am sure glad i did it saves alot of running one face cord at a time is now 4 face cord, or whatever the client orders. Saves alot in gas! We also run a 8x16 dump with 3' sides on it holds 7.5 face cord, saves alot of time and money.:clap:

I bought a poor mans trailer, a 6x16 tandem with 16 inch sides. Have to load in manually and of course offload by hand but I can haul a lot of wood with it.
I paid 900 bucks brand new.
If you went this route, you can save a few bucks, the only thing that I would recommend is have brakes installed. Fully loaded with a cord and half is a lot to stop regardless of what you are pulling it with. I have a Dodge Dakota and there have been a few times that have added to my gray hair when it came to needing to stop in a hurry.
Works great for pulling wood into the trailer though with a winch, the bed sits low to the ground and I made a steel ramp 4ft wide and 8ft long.
Just a poor mans option.

I just bought a 7x12 for 1295.00 (farm use) No dump but it will work for me i'm sure. It has a spring assisted lift tailgate.

I found a cheap 5x10 landscaping trailer, nice rear gate, solid deck. I just put 3ft sides on it, loaded I get around a cord/just over. Since I am either hauling with a Dodge Grand Caravan, or my four banger Ford Ranger (4wd) it holds about the right weight/load.

Tes

Bill, unless you have other uses for a trailer, buying a new one for 12 cord would really hurt the $$$$$$ profits. Maybe a smaller used one? Half cord on the truck & half on the trailer?

one cord is not a very hard requirement to meet..

most any tandem axle trailer will work once you put up sides.
it's really important to find a trailer with brakes. it's not what you can pull, but what you can stop.

stay away from mobile home axles ...

5 lug axle = 3,500 lb rating
6 lug = 5,000 lb
8 lug = 7,000 lb

condition of tires limits what your trailer will handle.

deals pop up on craigslist all the time... the really good deals go quick... sometimes within minutes...

took me 6+ months of searching before I found mine.... a tandem axle trailer with brakes and 7k lbs axles.

went to look at a trailer with HD axles... it was Heavy Duty and cheap... but way too ugly! (home built) ... got to talking with the owner... who just happen to have another trailer stored at his fathers place 150 miles away...

drove down and picked trailer up right away...
exactly what I was looking for ... 18ft with dove, tandem 7k axles with brakes, like new 10 ply truck tires, good floor, 2 5/16 ball, frame mounted jack, etc ... the entire trailer was in excellent condition ... paid $1,650... one of the best buys ever!

Last edited:
Kevin, I pull the trailer with my 97 F-350 Powerstroke/Automatic. With the trailer maxed out and all my gear plus a little wood in the truck, i can set the cruise control on the highway @ 63 and barely notice the trailer is back there. You could certainly get away with alot less truck with my trailer though.

F-350023.jpg

Wet1, I made the tailgate into a swing-away. I can pull the pins so it can be dropped down also. The gate is in progress. Its the original gate that i added angle and mesh to the top to bring it up to the height of the sides. I planned to make it into a ramp gate, since the tractor i had at the time would fit in the trailer. My current tractor won't fit...... so i haven't been in a hurry to make it work as a ramp also. The four steel plates for the hinges i had cut at a local steel shop with their plasma. The rest i fabbed up at home with steel i had hanging around. I looked at a couple trailers with split/swing-away gates to get an idea of how to make it so the tailgate swings around and rests pretty flat against the right fender when its open. Only drawback i see is i can't open the gate with anything in the way on the right side within six feet. Sometimes i have to open the gate first, then back into the spot i want to load/unload. No big deal though. I really would have liked a ten, or twelve thousand pound trailer.... probably 6x12, but this one was too good of a deal to pass up.\

wood001-1.jpg

wood002.jpg

Kevin, I pull the trailer with my 97 F-350 Powerstroke/Automatic. With the trailer maxed out and all my gear plus a little wood in the truck, i can set the cruise control on the highway @ 63 and barely notice the trailer is back there. You could certainly get away with alot less truck with my trailer though.

Nice truck! Nice truck and trailer set-up.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back