A Good Trailer For Delivering One Cord Of Wood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These dumpbed trailers do work nice, and I bet getting a cord in them would not be a problem at all. Here is a picture from last winter when we had ours loaded down picking up some small stuff after an afternoon of cutting fence lines.

NH_480.jpg

it's really important to find a trailer with brakes. it's not what you can pull, but what you can stop.

+1. I see a lot of people on various forums yapping about how much trailer they can pull with undersized vehicles, and never give a thought to STOPPING the thing.

18ft with dove, tandem 7k axles with brakes, like new 10 ply truck tires, good floor, 2 5/16 ball, frame mounted jack, etc ... the entire trailer was in excellent condition ... paid $1,650... one of the best buys ever!

Fabulous deal! :cheers:

Pay attention to tires, folks. They are every bit as important as the axle.

+1. I see a lot of people on various forums yapping about how much trailer they can pull with undersized vehicles, and never give a thought to STOPPING the thing.

That is why I stuck with a smaller trailer for my Ranger and Caravan. I could probably pull two cord of wood with my Grand Caravan, but a) That is a lot of weight, b) A lot of stress on the tranny, c) Probably burn up my rotors and pads if I had to stop in any great hurry if I managed to stop fully at all.

5x10x3 trailer is pretty good and easy to stop.

Tes

i use two.....the smaller one i tow with my van for small loads and the larger one we tow with my son's truck...

attachment.php

attachment.php

the small one is a converted boat trailer. the bed tilts and i left the winch on it to drag logs up on. i've had quite a few logs on that thing without a problem. the 4 x 8 bed is perfect for logs, drywall, plywood etc etc

Last edited:
DT,

I have a 2500 Cummins and a 6x12 landscaping trailer which I can easily get over a cord on the combo, but the trailer is not ideal. I do have some landscaping equipment so having a low deck and quick/functional equipment gate is a must. I've been toying with buying a dump trailer similar to your (although either a 6x12 or 6x14) which would serve both duties. My only concern is I haven't seen many dump trailers with real equipment gates (other than the crappy pull out ramps which won't work for me).

Well the early bird gets the worm...

Picked up a 2006 7x14x2 14k GVW dump trailer for $4k today! This thing is BIG and it's in great shape, I might have to mod the old Cummins to pull this baby when loaded up! It has the optional 7k axles and home made 4' side extensions constructed out of 2x12s, making the bed 6' tall. I know I don't need six foot sides on it, so I'll probably either remove the side extensions all together or cut them down to 12" extensions. I'm thinking the trailer is probably plenty big for my needs w/o the extensions, plus I could probably throw them on if needed for hulling a lot of brush. Tires, brakes, etc are like new. Only real problem with it is one of two equipment ramps is missing... Kind of stinks as it would be nice to have the set, but I can fab one up at some point. As I mentioned above, I'd like to build a beaver tail gate for it as well, but it's going to be a while before I have a chance to do this, like sometime next year!

Anyway, the guy had listed it on Thursday just after noon. I sent him an email about 30 mins after it was listed, but I never head back from him. I noticed the listing was pulled by the next morning so I figured it sold. Today I wake up and check my email and the seller had responded about 2 minutes before hand. I instantly called him at the provided number and told him I'll take it based on his verbal description. He said he got over 15 emails on it within the first few hours of it being listed so he pulled the listing and was just now getting around to contacting people. Guess I was the lucky early bird today... :cheers:

nice snag! 2x 7k axles with brakes is the deluxe setup!!

the really good deals are gone within minutes....
anymore one has to keep an eagle eye on craigslist to have half a chance at the killer deals...

Well the early bird gets the worm...

Picked up a 2006 7x14x2 14k GVW dump trailer for $4k today! This thing is BIG and it's in great shape, I might have to mod the old Cummins to pull this baby when loaded up! It has the optional 7k axles and home made 4' side extensions constructed out of 2x12s, making the bed 6' tall. ~

Anyway, the guy had listed it on Thursday just after noon. I sent him an email about 30 mins after it was listed, but I never head back from him. I noticed the listing was pulled by the next morning so I figured it sold. Today I wake up and check my email and the seller had responded about 2 minutes before hand. I instantly called him at the provided number and told him I'll take it based on his verbal description. He said he got over 15 emails on it within the first few hours of it being listed so he pulled the listing and was just now getting around to contacting people. Guess I was the lucky early bird today... :cheers:

Post us a couple pics of that rig ! Thats what i really wanted for a trailer, but never found one i could afford. That sucker must be pretty heavy even empty. No doubt you'll be able to get a couple cord in that puppy ! :cheers:

nice snag! 2x 7k axles with brakes is the deluxe setup!!

the really good deals are gone within minutes....
anymore one has to keep an eagle eye on craigslist to have half a chance at the killer deals...
Thanks!

You got that right, the competition is getting almost as bad as on eBay!

Post us a couple pics of that rig ! Thats what i really wanted for a trailer, but never found one i could afford. That sucker must be pretty heavy even empty. No doubt you'll be able to get a couple cord in that puppy ! :cheers:

I'll try to get a couple of quick pis for you over the next couple of days.

When I saw the trailer my first thought was "hmmm, that's a little bigger than I envisioned!" She's pretty heavy, probably a little over 4500 lbs empty with the side extensions on it. I certainly knew I was pulling something substantial when I left the sellers driveway. Not bad rolling down the hwy, but a little slow coming out of the hole... she'll be a tough pull with 2 cords of oak in her!

That's the same size dump I pull. If you have 4ft sides you can throw 2 cord in it without stacking. I pull mine with a cummins also. When I use my old truck I put 2 cord on the trailer and one on the truck. It'sreally slow out of the whole like that. Nice find on the trailer you'll love it. If it's your first dump you'll wish you got it years ago.

Scott

Here's a quick pic I grabbed with my phone yesterday. The trailer sure doesn't look nearly as big in the pic, but everyone who has seen it has said the same thing... damn, that thing is huge! As a matter of fact, I bought the wife a 930 Cabriolet a couple of years ago which she only drives in the summer. It sits outside all winter under a car cover (the garage is full with my stuff) and it kind of clutters up the driveway since it's not being used for about 6 months out of the year. She asked me yesterday if we could put a top on the trailer and store her car inside the trailer for the winter. I laughed, but after taking a couple of measurement, it will fit no problem! I might even do this as it would offer better protection for the car and also unclutter the driveway. :clap:

Sadly, the small lot of trees I'm clearing now isn't really accessible with this trailer, pretty much a truck only deal because of the terrain. Even worse, this will probably be just about all the cutting I'm going to have time to do this year. Oh well, I guess my new toy will still get put to use next year... plus that gives me a little time to do a few mods to the old Cummins so she can pull her like a champ. :cheers:

DumpTrailer.jpg

My brother uses one of these to haul away trees. It leaves a big loaf of tree debris. It works great for trees but doesn't have enough hydraulics to lift a load of dirt/gravel. They pull it with an F450 4x4 and it needs it.

HD-DB-008.jpg

I'd like to find a 7x14 myself.

Don

Wow, now that's a dump trailer your brother has there, goose-neck and everything! What will that thing carry? It would need a beefy hydraulic system to dump a load of stone or dirt of that size. What does your brothers F-450 have in it to pull that kind of load? My buddy has a F-350 with the 7.3 diesel in it and I have a 12v Cummins, I don't think either would have the snot to pull a trailer like your brothers all loaded up with stone or dirt. Hell, I know my 12v is going to have a hard time pulling my 7x14 when it gets loaded up with 10k lbs in her. I'm thinking it might be time for a 4" exhaust, injectors, and a couple other things to give her some more grunt... but even with that, I still don't know that it would pull a trailer like your brothers all loaded up with dirt... that's one serious trailer! :cool:

Wow, now that's a dump trailer your brother has there, goose-neck and everything! What will that thing carry? It would need a beefy hydraulic system to dump a load of stone or dirt of that size. What does your brothers F-450 have in it to pull that kind of load? My buddy has a F-350 with the 7.3 diesel in it and I have a 12v Cummins, I don't think either would have the snot to pull a trailer like your brothers all loaded up with stone or dirt. Hell, I know my 12v is going to have a hard time pulling my 7x14 when it gets loaded up with 10k lbs in her. I'm thinking it might be time for a 4" exhaust, injectors, and a couple other things to give her some more grunt... but even with that, I still don't know that it would pull a trailer like your brothers all loaded up with dirt... that's one serious trailer! :cool:

Those 450's usually pull a lot better because of the gears they have. Some came with 4:88 and 5:13 gears. Put that behind a diesel and you will move whatever you want. I can't believe how much better my BIL's Cummins pulls with 4:10 gears over my fathers with 3:55 (same year truck) Stopping and handling that thing full of dirt would be a chore.

Scott

Those 450's usually pull a lot better because of the gears they have. Some came with 4:88 and 5:13 gears. Put that behind a diesel and you will move whatever you want. I can't believe how much better my BIL's Cummins pulls with 4:10 gears over my fathers with 3:55 (same year truck) Stopping and handling that thing full of dirt would be a chore.

Scott

Good point on the gearing, that makes a big difference. Being a goose-neck, I'm sure that thing would handle a lot better than a bumper pull. Nice rig he has there!

It's way overloaded when you have much dirt in it. We had a small hump in the back and it still strained some getting dumped. If you get it too full it will not dump at all and you get to shovel it off.:mad: :censored: It does fine hauling tree debris, you can pack it in, that's what they bought it for.

The F450 has a 7.3 diesel in it with an automatic. I believe the engine is stock and the tranny is a full tilt build. They blew it once and had them do the full upgrade on it. The F450 is a quite a bit more truck than a F350. They run 19.5" tires on them.

When they first got the trailer they were pulling it with a 2003 Chevy 1 ton single rear with a 8.1 liter big block. The F450 handles it a lot better.

Don

here's a 12ft dump trailer for $2500 on craigslist, boston
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/grd/830406742.html
-----------------------

12 Foot Dump Trailer - $2500 (Melrose)
Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-09-06, 4:46PM EDT

2001 Crosley Dump trailer. Interior box dimensions-6' wide x 12' long x 4' tall.
Sides of box are 2'-0 tall with and additional 2'0 wood extensions. Rear swing out doors on rear. 8000 lb. dump capacity. 2 5/16 coupling ball with 7 way round plug for trailer brakes and lights. Title in hand. Custom made steel loading ramps are included with trailer. Trailer and ramps have loaded and hauled Bobcat and mini excavator. Great trailer for contractor.

^ That's a pretty good buy at $2500 for a 6x12 assuming everything is in good condition.

Picked up a 2006 7x14x2 14k GVW dump trailer for $4k today! This thing is BIG and it's in great shape, I might have to mod the old Cummins to pull this baby when loaded up! It has the optional 7k axles and home made 4' side extensions constructed out of 2x12s, making the bed 6' tall. I know I don't need six foot sides on it, so I'll probably either remove the side extensions all together or cut them down to 12" extensions. I'm thinking the trailer is probably plenty big for my needs w/o the extensions, plus I could probably throw them on if needed for hulling a lot of brush. Tires, brakes, etc are like new. Only real problem with it is one of two equipment ramps is missing... Kind of stinks as it would be nice to have the set, but I can fab one up at some point. As I mentioned above, I'd like to build a beaver tail gate for it as well, but it's going to be a while before I have a chance to do this, like sometime next year!

I got a call from the previous owner today, he said he found my other ramp for the dump trailer. I'm glad because I was dreading having to take the time to collect the materials and build a second ramp. The bad part is I have to drive a couple of hours each way to pick it up. Guess I'll be picking that up in the VW (diesel) rather than the truck...

Latest posts

Back