A guy telling me his wildthing is fast just ran the 5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back on the wildthing topic:

i actually own one. i bought it used (refurbed) from overstock.com. i got the saw, 16" bar and chain, carrying case and tools delivered for a little over $100. the reason i bought it was because i was helping my father-in-law every weekend cut wood for him to burn. i used it for 2 years and was frustrated most of the time. i couldn't get it to start most of the time (bad shoulder). FIL had to start it for me most of the time. don't know if that was a brand issue or a refurb issue.
i'm looking at cutting a lot more wood this year. just bought 1 1/2 acres that need cleared to build a house on, plus i will burn wood for heat now too. wife gave me ok to buy new saw. bought an ms260 pro 16". all i can say is whoa.
i know it is brand new and should (and does) start right up, but even in cutting there is no comparison.

Simonizer said:
Like the Harley guys that think they have a fast machine until they jump on a ZX-11. Hilarious.

Of course I do not identify myself as a 'Harley guy', but I did have one for awhile. It (Sportster) vibrates like a Wildthing.

BTW - the WILDTHING is for sale too! :)

:Eye: (or would it be a justified mercy killing?)

Harleys are different than other bikes, but they all are. I know a guy who's heavily into old British bikes, and he'll admit that most of 'em are pathetic from a certain point of view...but he loves 'em, oil leaks, crappy electricals, outrageous parts prices and all. I think they're pretty neat too.

I have limited experience with Harleys, but the experience I have has been positive. The new Harleys don't have the romance of the old pans, the beauty of the old knuckle-heads, or the "cool" of the old flatheads. There's just something special about a bike that has only 3 or 4 gears...and really doesn't need 'em, just let the motor grunt. Kinda like the old tractor guys enjoying their John Deeres still pulling hard lugged down almost to zero RPM. It's all good, guys.

Dolmar? I wish I could get hold of one too. There's a dealer nearby, but he seems to want to sell other marques, probably because he's still mad at Makita. He also isn't keen on the 7900 saw, as he feels the 6400 is a lot better value. Of course, he's right in a way; there's not a lot of big timber here, so the 6400 should handle 99% of local work without a problem. But why not have all the candy!

eyolf said:
Dolmar? I wish I could get hold of one too. There's a dealer nearby, but he seems to want to sell other marques, probably because he's still mad at Makita. He also isn't keen on the 7900 saw, as he feels the 6400 is a lot better value. Of course, he's right in a way; there's not a lot of big timber here, so the 6400 should handle 99% of local work without a problem. But why not have all the candy!

Out of every 10 saws we sell in the 64-73-7900 family, 5 will be 7900's, 3 will be 6400's and 2 7300's.

Also rec'd 2 more pallets of Dolmar's today (25 Saws). Most of those being the PS-5100 S .325 & 3/8".
Steve

eric_271 said:
If you are talking street yes. If you are talking pro stock bikes ALL the 2 strokes are sucking hind tit. ;)

Throw enough money at anything, you will make it faster, only 2 strokes i have run saws etc.

Harleys ain't the only racers :)

asb151 said:
I glad somewhere here appreciates the American Legend. I wouldn't sell my for the world. Buy a Jap bike and its worthless after 5-6 years. HD's have the best resale value of any item I have ever seen. Even better than a used chainsaw on ebay. :) I have had multiple friends buy new, ride for a couple of years, and sell for more than what they originally paid. Not too many products can manage that. Yes, they are a little on the slow side. I guess that depends on the phase of life you are in. ;)

Yes, you got me!

Have to agree, i actually like the Buells :cool:

As for the Brit bikes...

TonyM

Sir, sorry for hijacking your thread :angel:

Harleys are junk. The resale value falacy is about 5 years two late as the market is now flooded with them.
you are talking street yes. If you are talking pro stock bikes ALL the 2 strokes are sucking hind tit.
There are no racing two stroke left in pro stock if I am not mistaken. Also doesnt Kawasaki based four cyclinders dominate pro stock? Harley hasnt made a impact on the racing world in 30 years or more. Remember that POS sport bike they tried to race for several seasons then dropped?

asb151 said:
I glad somewhere here appreciates the American Legend. I wouldn't sell my for the world. Buy a Jap bike and its worthless after 5-6 years. HD's have the best resale value of any item I have ever seen. Even better than a used chainsaw on ebay. :) I have had multiple friends buy new, ride for a couple of years, and sell for more than what they originally paid. Not too many products can manage that. Yes, they are a little on the slow side. I guess that depends on the phase of life you are in. ;)
This high resale value for used HDs will end soon. Few people actually ride them so even ten year old bikes have no wear at all and they're really no different from a new one. The market is starting to look very saturated to me. The average buyer doesn't care if you're selling a FXTRLMNOP Wide Glide or a FXRSTMZX Glide Wide. They're both Harleys.
JG

bwalker said:
Harleys are junk. The resale value falacy is about 5 years two late as the market is now flooded with them.

There are no racing two stroke left in pro stock if I am not mistaken. Also doesnt Kawasaki based four cyclinders dominate pro stock? Harley hasnt made a impact on the racing world in 30 years or more. Remember that POS sport bike they tried to race for several seasons then dropped?

Ben last year the pro stock bike class was 95% 2 stroke bikes. This year its about 50% 2 strokes and the Harleys, sorry the junk Harleys and SS copy of the junk Harleys have domanatied the last 2 years. Been a big jump to the 4 stroke camp. Kawasaki has been sucking hind tit also. :p Now you are up to date on pro stock bikes my boy.

bwalker said:

Yep, Harleys are junk. I wish we had a good high performance product made right here in the USA, so I could be more proud to be an american. Unfortunately, Harley is a brand name the sums up most americans - fat, slow, arrogant and overpriced. Built for a land with 55 mph speed limits. What a shame.

Ok Ben. Just thought you might be interested. But the old saying race on Sunday sell on Monday means a lot more when your winning and the sleds have kicked a$$ for the last 2 years. When it comes to bikes, if I were to buy one it would be a Harley. Im not young enough or dumb enough to buy a street bike cause its fast. Harley's are a classic. Look at all the other brands that copy the looks of the Harley. They are wanna be's.

bvaught said:
Yep, Harleys are junk. I wish we had a good high performance product made right here in the USA, so I could be more proud to be an american. Unfortunately, Harley is a brand name the sums up most americans - fat, slow, arrogant and overpriced. Built for a land with 55 mph speed limits. What a shame.
Hey, you have Lockheed-Martin and the SR-71. Now THAT is fast.

Those Pro Stock bikes motors aren't HD motors.
They are Byron Hines creations....
Nowhere near stock......

EDMman said:
Those Pro Stock bikes motors aren't HD motors.
They are Byron Hines creations....
Nowhere near stock......

Who said anything about stock? If you are serious about power and who has it take it to the track. They still say Harley just like the kawasaki bikes that say kawasaki that are not stock how ever its not the one that says Harley on it thats sucking hind tit. :p

eric_271 said:
Yea, what was that trip coast to coast? I think 1 hour. Could have been 3 but I dont think so.

London to NY in 1 hr 55 minutes. That plane was so fast it had officially posted times and then there were the REAL times that were classified. When the pilots were interviewed and asked about it.....they would just smile. ;)

Latest posts

Back