A Humble Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rayvil01

rayvil01

ArboristSite Member
I didn't realize that a digital camera was a required piece of milling gear. (You would think Granberg would post this on their website!)

So, I didn't have the camera to take pics of the first meager milling efforts. But, I did get it in time to get these few little Pine and White/Red Oak boards on the new heavy-duty plastic pallets a friend rescued from the dump. This wouldn't make a good toothpick pile for Woodshop, Aggie, and many of you. But, I gotta' tell you, I really enjoyed it...have bought another saw (395) and am feeling pretty hooked. :)

Thanks for all the information on this forum. You guys are great.

Oh, there's one obligatory pic of the hand-split wood pile. Keeps me young.

IMG_0048Medium.jpg

IMG_0050Medium.jpg

IMG_0056Medium.jpg

IMG_215Medium.jpg

woodshop

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
...This wouldn't make a good toothpick pile for Woodshop, Aggie, and many of you. But, I gotta' tell you, I really enjoyed it...have bought another saw (395) and am feeling pretty hooked. :)

Nothing humble about that stack of wood, those pine boards look pretty nice. Smooth... dimensioned. A lot nicer than my early milling efforts.

Glad you could acquire a 395, great milling saw, up there with the 660, but a little cheaper (not much though). Are you going to put a full 36" bar on it? I recommend the Windsor Speed Tip ( 36HU63STA ) unless you already have a bunch of 050chain. That bar is 063. It's not that expensive as 36" bars go from Baileys.

Heck of a handsplit firewood pile.

Last edited:

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
I envy your woodpile..mine is mostly unsplit yet...except for what we are using.

I like my method of splitting better...hydraulic splitter..and a wife who enjoys running it...frees me up to play with chainsaws and sawmills. :greenchainsaw:

I still gotta stack it though..kids aren't trained yet...

irishcountry

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Looks real good glad to hear you had fun!! The pine looks like you bought it!! Awesome , this forum is about all I enjoy about the internet anymore lots of info and inspiration keep it coming!! Great job

Matildasmate

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
ya can't go wrong with quality over quantity. nice lookin' lumber. i'd rather saw 200 feet of good lumber than 1000 feet of thick & thin any day.

I agree , nice pile's of timber you got there , flash firewood pile you got there also , I see you got some sort of grateing underneath it as well , nice setup , I only got black plastic under mine , and it's not split like your's . Cheer's MM

TNMIKE

TNMIKE

ArboristSite Operative
Nice start

That is a very nice start...I assume those are raised garden beds in the photo?? Those pallets look like some heat pump pads Ive seen. I would love to come across a few of those.

rayvil01

rayvil01

ArboristSite Member
That is a very nice start...I assume those are raised garden beds in the photo?? Those pallets look like some heat pump pads Ive seen. I would love to come across a few of those.

Thanks to all. I appreciate the kind words.

Yes, those are my raised beds. I'll put another pic in to show them below. I dovetailed the ends to keep them from working around. Made the job of building them a royal pain. But, I've thanked myself every Spring since.

Those pallets were from some specialty stuff we got at work from Switzerland. Those rascals are 35 lbs apiece or so. A buddy called: "Hey, we're taking these things to the dump. You want 'em?"

Woodshop, Yeah, I'm excited about the 395...an ebay special...not brand-new, but, new to me nonetheless and about 1/2 price. Thanks for the bar recommendation. 36" is just what I had in mind.

IMG_0024Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts