A late summer shed built

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On our family farm, this building was called the "bull pen", cause thats where he lived. Big, nasty old Holstien bull. About 15 years ago the roof & sills were shot & I tore it down. Finally got back on track. The two 8x8 posts are locust, they'll sit on layed up cement blocks that go down 40" to the footings. The main beam is spruce, it's 6x12x14 ft long.
new1.jpg
I put it together on the ground with 2 braces, squared it & lifted it into place with the small crane on my F350.
new2.jpg
Everything was sawn out on my bandmill, 16 ft 2x10 rafters give a nice overhang.
new3.jpg
I used one inch thick pine for roof boards rather than buying plywood [cheep I guess]
new4.jpg
The last pic. shows the almost finished shed, I should get one more pic tomorrow as now it's got a bunch of firewood under it plus a 4 wheel running gear.
new5.jpg

Looks like quality work, built from love and hard work, rather than a tripe to lowes, rep to you.

Mike Van,

Post and beam is a beautiful construction method. I built a little shed out back that utilized such techniques. Nice work. I swear you stole my truck: I have a blue 96 Ford F250 that looks just like that.

Tom

Last edited:
You just can't beat post and beam! Nice mortice and tennons, looks like a ton of fun to build!
Well done. :rock:

Last edited:
Awesome job!! you could park a few trucks up there!

post and beam

I work building timberframe homes and structures love to see people use these methods much stronger than nails if done right. Nice work!!!!

Great Workmanship

Hey Mike, That looks as if it will last 1000 years. I wish I had that kind of talent to build anything even close to that. You can come and build for me anytime. Great Job.

Very heavy and solid, excellent. Nice birdsmouth on the rafters as well.

Back