woodshed show & tell - lots of pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The 1st pic. is the old woodshed here at the farm, my grandfather built it, we think in the 20's. In the early 90's, I did a 'makeover' on it, as it was in sad shape. There never was a floor, just dirt & bark, the sills on 3 sides had rotted away, the siding was holding up the front. The header where the door is, I jacked back up over a foot to get it plumb. I put 6x6 sills, and added a few across the middle for a 2" floor. The barns made of roughsawn native lumber, about 18x14. I remember when I was small, chickens that stopped laying got their heads chopped off in there.
woodshed.jpg
Next up is one I made a few years ago for my syrup operation. When I started, I threw some 4x4's on the ground, stacked wood on them & covered it with old plastic roofing. This shed was all from leftovers, the 3 ft metal roofing, short 6x6's, even the sills I made from a 6x12 gluelam a builder was going to pitch out. I ripped it on my bandmill. For footings, I set posts in 5 gal pails with concrete
woodshed4.jpg
All the other lumber came from my mill.
woodshed3.jpg
This pic shows it done but empty [it holds a cord & a half
woodshed2.jpg
And now, it's full waiting for spring. The sun beats on it all day, the woods as dry as possible, you need good dry wood to run an evaporator.
shwood.jpg
And last, is a little pole barn we threw up in the 70's. It had an almost flat plastic roof on it, no overhang, leaked, etc. This past summer I ripped it off, framed up 16' headers that are double bolted to the posts, cut 8" pitch rafters, made 1" pine roof boards [too cheap to buy plywood]
shed1.jpg
so it came out like this -
shed3.jpg
I priced metal roofing for it right when steel was at it's highest - about 600.00 - I said no thanks. I got 40 year architec. shingles for 10.00/bundle, as they are going to be obsolete [39" metric are the new deal]
newshed.jpg
This shows the finished product. I had a few cord in there I sold, there's room for the splitter & 3 poit hitch winch. I do hate leaving stuff out in the weather. I've got one more planned for this summer, 16x14 to replace the old bull pen shed I took down years ago.

Slick shed Mike ! :clap: :clap:
Our is less elegant ( much less): 20' X 8' pole shed from spruce logs, 2x4 shed roof covered with 2' x 12' fiberglass panels. Dirt floor with pallets holds near 5.5 cords. Sides are semi-open scrap "flitch" boards from a friend's mill. Once everything was cut, it went up in a long day. Poles are on concrete deck blocks. Biggest cost was the panel roof.

Back