A lemon Stihl MS 290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last year I bought a brand new MS290 with a 20" bar to help me with my little side business stumpin. After running it for about 3 total hrs, it stopped running, so I took it back to the dealer and found out it had blown a piston. Well it was under warranty and fixed for nothing. After taking it back about 3 more times for various minor problems, this summer, it stopped running once again, so I took it back, and found out this time it had a broken piston skirt, the dealer and distributor had to examine it back and forth according to the desk salesman a few time to determine what what going to be done, it was past its one year warranty and was told after about a month of the dealer keeping my saw and having to buy another saw to get me by, that the engine was going to be rebuilt and I would have to pay for labor. I figured no big deal, its given me some problems, but I've had my hands on Stihl saws since I was a kid helping out my father cut wood for our winter heating, and his old 028 ran like a champ for a long time. I finally got the call from the dealer it was done and told the labor bill was $228..I was like like WHAT..for another $150 I could buy an whole nother saw..I told em to keep it.
Now I ran this saw maybe a couple times a month, used Sthil bar and 2 stroke mix at 50:1 as recommended and had a whopping total of MAYBE 40 hrs on this thing..can anyone give me some suggestions what I could have done to get a more positive outcome from what happened?

Last edited:
Must have been pushing it too hard useing ethanol laced gas:dizzy: A saw that new wouldn't have a problem on 100% real gas.

Find out why they say it failed. If they did anything under warranty they would have to do an evaluation on it.

Last year I bought a brand new MS290 with a 20" bar to help me with my little side business stumpin. After running it for about 3 total hrs, it stopped running, so I took it back to the dealer and found out it had blown a piston. Well it was under warranty and fixed for nothing. After taking it back about 3 more times for various minor problems, this summer, it stopped running once again, so I took it back, and found out this time it had a broken piston skirt, the dealer and distributor had to examine it back and forth according to the desk salesman a few time to determine what what going to be done, it was past its one year warranty and was told after about a month of the dealer keeping my saw and having to buy another saw to get me by, that the engine was going to be rebuilt and I would have to pay for labor. I figured no big deal, its given me some problems, but I've had my hands on Stihl saws since I was a kid helping out my father cut wood for our winter heating, and his old 028 ran like a champ for a long time. I finally got the call from the dealer it was done and told the labor bill was $228..I was like like WHAT..for another $150 I could buy an whole nother saw..I told em to keep it.
Now I ran this saw maybe a couple times a month, used Sthil bar and 2 stroke mix at 50:1 as recommended and had a whopping total of MAYBE 40 hrs on this thing..can anyone give me some suggestions what I could have done to get a more positive outcome from what happened?

It sounds like your pushing the saw past its limits,considering displacement,bar size,stumps etc. doing multiple big stumps I would consider a saw in the neighborhood of a ms460 or bigger right for the job. Other factors that could be working against it might be hot weather, saw running on the lean side. Pushing a saw that size in stumps I would think would be like milling with the big saws in such cases most the operators richen the fuel-air ratio up a bit and sometimes the oil to fuel is richened too. If you can't afford a new big saw, shop for a good used one. Some of the older generation saws work well and hold up well.

buy more stihl, it will make you feel better!

:dizzy:

attachment.php

Just because you are a pretender

It sounds like your pushing the saw past its limits,considering displacement,bar size,stumps etc. doing multiple big stumps I would consider a saw in the neighborhood of a ms460 or bigger right for the job. Other factors that could be working against it might be hot weather, saw running on the lean side. Pushing a saw that size in stumps I would think would be like milling with the big saws in such cases most the operators richen the fuel-air ratio up a bit and sometimes the oil to fuel is richened too. If you can't afford a new big saw, shop for a good used one. Some of the older generation saws work well and hold up well.

The replacement saw I already bought was an MS 361 with a 20" bar as per the recommendation of my dealer..most of the stumps I typically do have been around 12-20 inches with the occasional bigger one from time to time. I don't use it really all that much in conjunction with the removal actually..I use it more for clearing brush, bushes and branches. I thought about buying the 460 with like a 28" bar or something to that order..but since I just spent the $575 on the 361..and I only do this part time..I'll just have to go easy on it until maybe the spring when I typically invest in my new equipment for the season. Thanx for the tip about richening up the mixture and the used saws though, I'll give em both a shot.

The replacement saw I already bought was an MS 361 with a 20" bar as per the recommendation of my dealer..most of the stumps I typically do have been around 12-20 inches with the occasional bigger one from time to time. I don't use it really all that much in conjunction with the removal actually..I use it more for clearing brush, bushes and branches. I thought about buying the 460 with like a 28" bar or something to that order..but since I just spent the $575 on the 361..and I only do this part time..I'll just have to go easy on it until maybe the spring when I typically invest in my new equipment for the season. Thanx for the tip about richening up the mixture and the used saws though, I'll give em both a shot.

I had a feeling you were cutting smaller stuff. I've blocked down big stumps with my 361 no problem, just takes time, sharp chain, and not pushing the saw too hard, but it'll get done.

361 is great for small trees and brush, cutting trails etc.

I know for a fact that the folks at Stihl read these threads. If they truly care (I think they do) they'll fix this for you. $228 is dealer cost on the cylinder plus about an hours labor. I would ask your dealer when his rep is going to be around next, make it a point to be there, and get it right from the horses

Definitely a lemon in my opinion. I assume most people don't know how small your grinder is....not big, so I would not be worried about you over working the saw. It sounds like your saw developed an air leak and caused the saw to run lean, cooking the top end. It could be the crank seals, impulse line, intake boot, etc. While 290's are a pain to work on, it should have costed less than 200 dollars to get installed. Like GrandeDog said, something is fishy and hopefully will be taking care of. The best thing out of this whole deal is that you got a awesome saw in the 361.:givebeer:

I just bought a Stihl MS361 regret it more then anything

I have ever done. I was handed the worst service I have ever received from anyone Amateur at best.

My stihl had to be fixed by a non stihl repairman for one of the simplest items on the saw the oil tank filter.

and now that it is up and running as it should be its still not as good as a 5 year old mac.

When the saw went in for the oil problem the repairman stihl guy said the saw was running lean but did nothing to fix it,,, remind you saw is under warranty, to avoid them in the future I richened the saw up to wear it’s a bit too rich, running 40:1 synthetic mixture, I trust them like I would a thief in my backyard.

I will never own a stihl again new or used..

I have ever done. I was handed the worst service I have ever received from anyone Amateur at best.

My stihl had to be fixed by a non stihl repairman for one of the simplest items on the saw the oil tank filter.

and now that it is up and running as it should be its still not as good as a 5 year old mac.

When the saw went in for the oil problem the repairman stihl guy said the saw was running lean but did nothing to fix it,,, remind you saw is under warranty, to avoid them in the future I richened the saw up to wear it’s a bit too rich, running 40:1 synthetic mixture, I trust them like I would a thief in my backyard.

So you got bad service - doesn't mean the whole brand is bad. I've had to deal with mistakes that were far far larger and more costly to fix than yours, didn't mean I hated the brand at the end of the day. Some people can fix stuff, and others can't - just have to separate the men from the boys on service.

:monkey:

The OP said he used the saw in a business. Professional use warranty for saws is 90 days. If Stihl did anything, then that is better than nothing.

I think your dealer just replaced the piston/cyl the first time and did not try to figure out why it blew in the first place. I can say that saw may not be the best in Stihls lineup but they are pretty tough. It has to be an airleak somewhere or he didn't install the piston properly or whatever but it is on the DEALER if he fixed it last year and after he fixed it it blew up a year later period. I would get in contact with Stihl personaly and let them know you have ran some great Stihl saws such as the 028 but your 290 just didn't measure up. I would bet they would at least investigate a bit and see if the previous repairs were done properly and then get back to you with a solid answer. When it is just out of warranty you are better off to contact Stihl ahead of time and let them know the situation. I don't think they have too many problems with newer saws so Im sure they will help you out. one of the best tips I can give is whenever work is done ask a lot of questions get the name of the person who worked on it and gather all the info you can. Later you will have some good documentation of exactly what was checked and who is responsible for the mistake and everyone will benifit in the end.

I know for a fact that the folks at Stihl read these threads. If they truly care (I think they do) they'll fix this for you. $228 is dealer cost on the cylinder plus about an hours labor. I would ask your dealer when his rep is going to be around next, make it a point to be there, and get it right from the horses

Thats the first thing I would do. If that doesn't help. Tell him next time you will buy a Husky. At least that has a 2 year warranty.Echo has a 5 year. Let him know there are companies other than Stihl,and your loyalty is for sale to the best in costomer service.IMHO they should have at least met you half way on the price,if not covered the whole thing.Problems in the past it was probably a lemon

Last edited:
Thats the first thing I would do. If that doesn't help. Tell him next time you will buy a Husky. At least that has a 2 year warranty.Echo has a 5 year. Let him know there are companies other than Stihl,and your loyalty is for sale to the best in costomer service.IMHO they should have at least met you half way on the price,if not covered the whole thing.Problems in the past it was probably a lemon
I buy & sell used STIHL saws & can tell you right now my garage is full of used broke 290s,310s & 390s all of the same family, if this tells you some thing. I am glad to be of help.

Last edited:
lemon or dog, lemon or dog ... you should have stayed away of that plastic toy from the beginning.

Back