A newbie asks the old "Which saw For Me"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOODBUTCHER

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been a lurker for awhile now. Deciced to join to ask you all a much asked question. I cut firewood, lots of firewood. I am currently working on 2 miles of shelterbelt. I have a Stihl 009, a Jonsered 2050T, and have been using my friends 066 Magnum. I need a larger saw. something in the 4 to 5 hp range.
I like the 066, but that thing gets really heavy! I have narrowed it down to a few models. before that, I really have only a Stihl "dealer" in my area, but I do not care for him. The other saws are available at a farm store or online.
Im looking at several saws.
Stihl ms440 Pro
Stihl ms360pro
Stihl ms361
Jonsered 2163T
" " 2159
"" 2156
"" 2165
Husky
What are your opinions on these saws? pros-cons. Thanks for your time!

husky 365 (about $100 less than the 372), husky 372, stihl 044 or the 036 pro. All are great saws and will do what you want to do. How large of a bar were you thinking about running?

The Husky 372 is a darn fine saw, but I'm a Stihl guy, so I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend the 440 or the 361. Having a dealer you like is paramount, but at the same time, if something happens to your saw, you've got this site to help fix it! Seriously, a good dealer will make a difference, but I'd rather go to a dealer I don't like than go to Lowe's or mail order a saw-unless it's from Bailey's. You can't go wrong with them. I think any of the saws you mentioned will do you great. But don't skimp. Go with the best saw you can afford, and never look back. If you try to save $50 because you don't think you need that extra .4 hp or whatever, you'll probably be wanting that hp later on, if for no other reason than to just have it when you need it.

Take care all,
Jeff

Thanks guys, probably wont run a bar much longer than 24. I did hear good news though, my local Stihl shop has been sold, and the new owners are now in. I will stop down tomorrow and get down and dirty. Thanks for the input, I will check out the saws mentioned also (if I can find a husky dealer within a few miles) Later!

I've been running an MS361 a little in comparison to my 036 and have to say that unless you can get a very good deal on the MS360, the MS361 seems as though it's going to outclass it by a bit.  That being said the 70cc range is what you'll want, IMO.

Of those you listed my recommendation is the MS440.

Glen

Once again, don't overlook the Dolmar PS-7300 or PS-7900. I know, I know. There are no dealers! Well, they can be had for less money than a comparable Stihl, and they are better saws, IMHO.

glens said:
I'That being said the 70cc range is what you'll want, IMO.

Of those you listed my recommendation is the MS440.

Glen

Glens is corrrect.

Its just that the 372xp can be purchased for under $480.00USD. The saw has a more advanced antivibration system and you will not have to clean the airfilter all the time. This is due to the air injection system installed. I also think its easier to mount the bar. Oh Yeah, it sounds awsome when running.

Husquavarna 372xp is a sure bet, husky just replaced it with the new 575xp however the 372 is probably better. In the way of a stihl the 036/031 are good saws but underpowered compared to a 440 and weighs 1.2 pounds lighter than a 440 with nearly 1 horse less the 460 has a little more horse with an additional pound, all fine saws.

glens said:
I've been running an MS361 a little in comparison to my 036 and have to say that unless you can get a very good deal on the MS360, the MS361 seems as though it's going to outclass it by a bit.

Glen

Interesting! Hope you got a good deal on that 361. I`ll give you a ring to see how it stacks up.

Russ

I'll start a thread to report, but not real soon.  I've only gotten a couple of tanks through it so far.

There was a phone number with a message "reward if found" engraved on the bottom of the saw.  I called the number and left a message but never got any reply, so I guess it's "finders keepers", hahaha!

Glen

Just got back from a local Stihl dealer. Holy crap! 700.00 for a ms440 with one chain and 20 inch bar. Im not an expert, but that sounded AWEFUL high to me. There are two other stihl dealers within 30 miles should i spend the time to drive, or does the price seem right to you guys?!?(I hope that a Ms440 can be had a little cheaper!)
I REALLY liked the feel of the saw.
None of the area Husky sales outlets(no dealers) had the 372. I need to find one. I might make the trip Sat to Husky dealer (60 miles)
The saw will probably run a 20" bar most of the time. If I need more I can always use the 066 my friend has. THANK YOU

only stihl in your area... too bad.. depends on what size wood you are talkin..
i guess from what ive heard the 361.. i ran the 036.. only problem i had with it
was in heavy cut the oiler had trouble keeping up..im talkin an continuous
cut with bar buried in hardwood....that is if you dont want to look at the 372..
some difference in wt tho .. so i guess its where your priority is..
if you got an deere dealer in your area ,u mite look at there saws..
deeres venture into homelite ,has the deere dealers here fed up .. most dont even carry saws..but there italian saws are good..

Latest posts

Back