A real life gas story.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XJWoody

I'll back up Jhellwig on the MPG loss being primarily from winter vs summer blend gas. You should have seen it for years unless you live is south Florida where it is hot all of the time. I run ethanol year round in my work car and it is a 5 mpg hit for winter fuel. Now ethanol does mess with your fuel economy some but it should only be about 3-4% I get about a 10-15% hit from summer to winter blend.

Don.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. We have both the 10% ethanol blend and the good stuff available here (depending on what county you fill up in). The straight gas does give better mileage.

Whenever I can, I fill up on the straght stuff and I can really tell the difference. I am on the road constantly for my business, so I log a lot of miles and keep a pretty close eye on the fuel consumption.
I agree! I have one station Mohawk or husky 10% ethanol is in all there mid grade and premium and my truck gets terrible mileage with it.I wonder how it helps the environment if I drop from 15 to 10 miles in the city! If anything you would think I would get gas at a station called Husky not!
:hmm3grin2orange:

3 years ago my JD lawn mower (OHV) bent push rods from
carbon build up........Have noticed its not running just right
so today I poured some Sea-Foam in a squirt bottle, at WOT
sprayed it in carb almost killing it several times (lots of white smoke)
Also done the Honda ATV. Let them sit for 5 min. Both missed and
popped around for about a min after restarting them.

I don't think it just in my head........Both run better, can't tell it
on the top end but can on the idle and mid range.

Anyone use Sea-Foam in a saw?

My ATV just putts around the farm, 1999, 450cc, 2760 miles
with 633 hours = avg. of just over 4 miles per hour.
Putted around after lunch......No doubt about it, Sea-Foam
did make a difference, I'm going to try it in 041FB and FS80 trimmer

Trigger-Time

I have used sea foam for years in everything, and have suffered no ill effects from usage.

If I buy a can of gas it gets sea foamed as soon as I get home. That goes for mowers trimmers blowers and saws.

I run a can of it in the tank of both of my trucks every 2 months, and it did clean the bejibbers out of my 83 3/4 ton pouring into carb with truck running.

I am a big believer in the stuff!!

I use it at 1 ounce per gallon in OPE gas either straight or pre mix, and it definitely seems to me that gas will keep longer and burn better with it.

Chuck

Last edited:
Trigger-Time

I have used sea foam for years in everything, and have suffered no ill effects from usage.

If I buy a can of gas it gets sea foamed as soon as I get home. That goes for mowers trimmers blowers and saws.

I run a can of it in the tank of both of my trucks every 2 months, and it did clean the bejibbers out of my 83 3/4 ton pouring into carb with truck running.

I am a big believer in the stuff!!

I use it at 1 ounce per gallon in OPE gas either straight or pre mix, and it definitely seems to me that gas will keep longer and burn better with it.

Chuck

Damn straight! :rock:

The farm store I work in sells tons of the and I use it as a fuel stabilizer in everything I fuel from a gas can. I was into StaBil until I found out that Sea Foam improves storage characteristics as well as acting as a detergent.

I theorize that what is really wrong with our fuel today is the lack of detergents to keep things clean INSIDE the engine, and that Sea Foam simply does the job.

Back to the original post....I had the same thing happen. I read on here how the ethanol 'tainted' fuel is not good for the small 2-cycle engines. Dumped my '87 octane mix...went and made a fresh mix with premium gas. Thought I was doing a good thing, but damned if my 361 wouldn't start with the new mix. I eventually got it running, but I went through all the four letter words in the book in the process. What gives? Maybe its just that no one is buying premium these days (like the original poster mentioned), and I lord knows I don't blame 'em. I'm a weekend warrior and don't run a whole lot of equipment, but when it comes time, I don't want a hassle. Any word from the landscaping folks out there running lots of 2-cycle machines on a daily basis?

Jim all common brands and all grades of gasoline contain ethanol in the winter if the population is large enough. It is mandated by the Feds for air quality.

This one I was assured does not; airports have gasoline that doesn't contain ethanol. Just because it's summer is no guarantee there isn't residual in the tanks or that it is summer blend.

101 octane unleaded to 114 leaded. Supposed to be all over west coast. 101 goes for $6.25 a gallon in Washington State.

Trick Racing Gasoline

I have a neighbor that mixes 50-50 av gas and reagular pump gas. He collects two cylinder John Deeres has about 80 of them. With just reagular pump gas he has a lot of problems with them not starting from sitting to long. But since he has been mixing he has no problems. Sometimes some of his tractors sit a couple years without running and they will fire up and run with the av fuel. According to my fuel supplier the new fuel starts to go bad after 3 mounths,wheather this is true or not I do not know.:chainsawguy:
He is right as far as I can see, the new mixes are carp, good for a month or two because of the 'great stuff we add', bunch of horse **** imho.

And, there are several threads discussing fuel issues here that are very good, just look mate.

Last edited:
Back