A Tree From Spring 2004

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beast12

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I will start off by saying I am new to this site. I have been lurking for a month but signed up today. Have made a few posts but also wanted to post some pictures.

I will be the first to admit I HATE HEIGHTS! Why am I a climber/bucket operator? Well, my dad told me when I was 11 I was going to do this job until I found something else. Guess what? I was too lazy to find a new job! :)

So, now I am job site foreman, main climber/bucket operator (I do about 85% of the in-tree work) and mechanic guy as well. I also am the main snow plow operator in the winter.

Here are some pictures of a tree I did last year that I DID NOT WANT TO DO. This tree was as tall as it was wide. But, I got it done and my dad got his money. :)

Pictures are below:

Great pics Beast! Job well done, not to mention nice and neat too! Welcome to the site!

Beast12 said:
my dad told me when I was 11 I was going to do this job until I found something else. Guess what? I was too lazy to find a new job!

You started when you were 11, and your user name is Beast12, I take it you've been at it for a year now. :)
Did you lower those pieces down by rope, or let them free fall?
Also, would you mind if I drew lines on your pictures to show how I might have handled this removal?

Mike he appears to be 24.

Nice cleanup of the stump!

Welcome to AS.

Use the search function.:D

Why was the tree removed? Just curious.

Carl

Welcome Beast, good for you. Kind of suprised that Mike didn't give you a hard time for not saving the tree ha, ha. Let me guess why the tree was removed- cause that's what the customer asked for.

Mike- looking at the pictures, I think I would have tied in to the central stem and swung around and chunked everything down leaving the central for last. (no slag on you Beast).

Mike Maas said:
You started when you were 11, and your user name is Beast12, I take it you've been at it for a year now.
Did you lower those pieces down by rope, or let them free fall?
Also, would you mind if I drew lines on your pictures to show how I might have handled this removal?

I am 23, been doing it since I was 11. Climbing for about 5 years or so.

Most of the branches were lowered down on ropes. There was a neighbour's apple tree as well as the homeowner's playground equipment and house below it.

Just the way the tree grew I had to treat it like 2 trees. It was SOOOOO spread out.

My dad was on the rope when I took that top off. He has been doing it for 26 years and is the best ropeman I know. When that top went off I was nervous but didn't feel a thing.

Feel free to draw lines on my pictures. If you look at the picture "I Wish I Could Untie The Rope" you will see some previous cuts made on the tree. They were starting to rot. Also, the main crotch at the bottom was a V-crotch and had water in it. :dizzy: That's why it was removed: Safety. The homeowner had 3 kids. :) I thank everyone for the welcome.

Oh by the way, I freeclimbed the whole tree and only tied in with my lanyard (one) while cutting). Not too bad, eh??

HAHA! Just kidding! I am ALWAYS tied in twice while cutting (a lifeline and a lanyard!) I wanted to get you guys going! ;)

-Matt

P.S. My username Beast12 is because my favourite number is 12. :)

First thing I would have done is use a ladder to tie ropes as indicated by the orange lines. This would help hold the tree together while I climbed. Then I'd tie in at the blue circle and work the entire tree from that tie in point. While I was up there, I'd hang a pulley and bull rope nearby, maybe at the red circle.

Then I would use a second pulley for the bull rope at each branch. The purple line shows where the rope would run for working the branch on the right, red indicating pulleys.
Setting the rope up like this, puts the load such that you're not pulling the tree apart, as well as reducing the load because it's shared by two pulleys.
Also by having the second pulley near you, the ground crew can just give the end of the bull rope a tug and it shoots right back up to you in an instant.

I would work the branch down to where the support (guy line) is, then move to the next branch, leaving the rest of the limb until later so it's there for support.

Any comments?

My concern is the base of the tree. It looks like it has extensive decay and a crack between the forks. It's being remove because it's not safe. If it's not safe to walk under, how is it safe to climb without first supporting it?
Every tree I encounter that is hazardous, I find a way to secure it, or me, in a way that I'm not risking my life. Make sense?

Once you secured the forks together, I agree you could climb higher and cut and chuck. A good roper can lower bigger pieces with a bull rope, with a lot less effort and even faster. When you get down to the lower bodty wood the cut and chuck gets harder. Plus you end up with lawn damage.

I don't see where there is that much decay at the base.

Maybe you can see it better than me, cuz I don't.

Last edited:
Wow Mike! Wouldn't that be A LOT of extra work? I am the type of climber that if I don't feel 110% safe in a tree I will not be up there. I DIDN'T want to do this tree BUT I knew the tree was structurally safe.

On your second picture you drew a blue life line. That was actually there. You can't see it because I unhooked it. :) I used it to get out there but once I was out there it was in my way. In the main stem I was tied into I had another life line as well as my lanyard.

It was almost one year ago I did that tree. :cry: I am glad it is over! :)

-Matt

P.S. I try not to BOMB stuff to the ground unless I am in the bucket truck. I would rather rig branches off saving the ground below. :)

Back