Aaarghhh..one of those days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:angry:

First, the job, removing three 115-125 foot tall conifers, and three alders (dropping the alders into a greenbelt and making habitat snags) was 55 minutes from the shop.

Then, we had a green newbie helper. I spent an hour prepping saws, while Eli did the first easy tree. Next, I attempted to show the newbie how to run a saw. Impatient at his poor skills, I stopped him, and went up the first alder. Shortly therafter, as Eli was near the ground and switching saws, he dropped the Echo 3400 25 feet onto concrete, breaking the main case.....leaving us with one climbing saw. (I have an old 3400, hopefully I can use the old case..bound to be a tough job...)

Two hours later, as Eli was in another tall fir, the anal neighbor came home, and promptly wanted to know why sawdust and a couple twigs were on his two month old freshly seeded section of lawn. I apologized for God's choice of wind direction, and promised to have him blow it the other way....Actually I broke out the Echo blower...

After I got some fun rides bombing the three long leaning alder tops (using triangle hinge shape to reduce barber chair chances- trees too small for bore cutting) I talked to several neighbors, trying to get them all to get together and have us look at cutting 20 or so dying and/or hazardous alder, then came back to help Eli safely drop the last 25 feet of the very tall dead hemlock.

Shortly thereafter, the newbie proceeded to start the chipper, with brush right against the rollers, which were not reversed. The auto feed is not working, so it jammed, bad enough, but apparently he tried to force the clutch or something, which, when I opened the inspection cover, was still emitting an incredibly strong noxious aroma, and would not engage. So, in the a.m., I get to tear into it, to see if it is broken, which I'm quite sure it is....Groan... downtime, repairs, and unneeded expenses sure suck wind big time....

Then the customer came home, and wanted to know why the wood was on his (already very dry and brown) lawn and not being hauled away. Apparantly, I had said something about getting a friend to haul it, which may be true, but I forgot about it. So I assured him I'd find someone to get it out within a couple days. Then he said something about the holes in the lawn.

So, we get home after 80 minutes of driving and dumping chips. I call around and locate a wood hauler, phew!!! Then the customer's wife calls...and she is very nice, but has a passel of problems. She's cool that the wood will disappear, but worried about the sawdust and holes in her lawn. As well, one of the guys had taken their shovel, not knowing it wasn't ours. So I promised to bring it back, and blow the lawn, and even fill in some holes-- after the firewood is gone. I did remind her that I had told her the price was low as we would be free dropping the wood, as lowering it would have doubled the price.
But the kicker was the neighbor had come over, complaining about the mess we made, which was very very minimal after we blew his lawn, his driveway, his Jaguar....... he mentioned wanting restitution for his time, even brought up the insurance word.....what a jerk...the lawn is and will be 100% fine. I'd be tempted to laugh in the guys face...but I better not. I hope he'll mellow out, but I won't be surprised if he tries to cause further trouble.

But some good things happened--- a couple jobs came in, and out Butterfly saddles made it from Fresco!!

The pic is of some local color, and I'll post more in a new thread about the beautiful western red cedar that we took 55 feet off the top, leaving 75 foot. Oh and I reckon y'all will be wondering why the heck we did that.....;)

Great pix all mourn!

Pretty bad when ya even blow chips off grass to erase any signs and sneak in and out like a ninja on top of everything else, and have grief dispelled like that.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

i had a similar one and only made one small almost softball size dent, after missing the pile of initial roped down stuff. The retired built like bull guy was held in wonder till then, then started going off like a hand grenade in a hallway. When i came down he still was giong off veins bulging, screaming "don't yoiu know i've had heart problems and operation........". It was small, we were hitting about 8 properties taht day in area etc.; so i was going to leave it and not charge him, scooted the guys down to clean up another mess down the road. Not good enough, so they came back and picked it up. What about the stump he wondered, i told him who ever took out the other 2 trees that i'm not can do all 3 stumps, not good enough. So, everything else was going good, we were hitting all properties after lunch with grinder on road, all front yards, save 1........ i threw in the stump, he said we wouldn't be back. After i did the stump he wanted to know about the nice pile of chips, what where we gonna do about that......i let it be known i though i had been fair, for free.... Cussing, throwing trash can, saying he'd guess he had to do it.... So Tiny was made to scoop them in guys trash can; against his will, but with big boots was about 4 kicks, so really was nothing. As Tiny is standing up; this guy comes up and kicks the trash can over of the grindings, in his face. i had to get Tiny out of there.

The guy lives on the backside of the president of the association; just had bought his home, i used to do werk at it and others convinced him to use me, even though he had someone else lined up.

About 6 mos. later; we are working across the street, hours later i look up, and here is my man; wanting to overpay me in cash etc.; how excellent a job. Told him no. He said that he would leave it in the truck on the seat.

i told him when i had enough, i had enough! If he went near the truck; when they came; i'd say i thought he was trying to steal it.:angel:

THE REAL MURPHY'S LAW:
NEVER TURN DOWN MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Believe it or not it offends God. ( If God can really be offended)
I'd have thanked the guy, put the money in my pocket and offered a few kind words about not making life any more stressful than it already is.
Sounds like everyone here could use a good vacation.

Yeah, can't do that all the time; i admit; and i prolly try to go along more'an most.......

But when they think they can push all they can, then buy out, i just sometimes don't wan't their fricking money.

And, that whole incident was very pure, and has paid for itself in other ways, other jobs in the area; as guy has shown his true colors there too....

Time wounds all heels;

&

Don't yell theatre in a crowded fire,

orrrrrrr something like that!

Last edited:
Wise words to live by Daniel, perhaps the verbally abused deserve a tip once in a while. HEY HOLD ON THAR! RB you let a newbie even touch a saw or chipper?? :eek:Who deserves a spanking for that?? (Been there.. done that)-err let a newbie mess up a piece of equipment that is :eek:

Yeah, i thought the chipped saddle would have woke everyone up to having the FNG work any powertools without direct stupervision by manglement.

Buddy i work with regularly will not let an FNG touch powered equipment for at least a week.

SilverBlue,

You got that right!!! Well, I only gave him a five minute c. saw lesson, then my patience wore out and I cut him off. And I was nervous about him starting the chipper when I wasn't there... Actually he was doing pretty well.. It may have been me who failed to reverse the feed rollers on the previous shutdown.

Good news is, I got the clutch to work, and we had an awesome day today. Pics will follow..... But the clutch may well need work....

Below pic:

This was one nice landscape! The pond and waterfall's pump move 9600 gallons per hour. Mighty peceful setting, and with great sound effects too boot.

KC, You were too nice. Some people cuss-a lot. I can ignore every other word from a decent sort with a potty mouth but I will not tolerate being the object of someone's cursing. I've walked before and may again. I can still recall the look of consternation on one woman's face-consternation collapsing into mortification at her own stupidity. As for the guy who seemed to be courting apoplexy-if it happened it couldn't be to a 'nicer fellow'.

I've turned down money in the past but I think that Murph is onto something. Perhaps the Daniel in ancient Babylon wasn't the only wise one with a line on God's thinking!;)

Bad news was that a month later, the clutch went out..in the middle of a 3 day job...40 minutes from home..and the rental yard where I had to rent a Vermeer 1250...underbid job...6.5 loads of chips....and rental costs plus chipper repairs....

..you win most ..and lose on a few..

such is life

no worries!:Monkey:

Bad day

we all have days like that just when u think it cant get any worse it does hope the problem with chipper is easily fixed.hard to work without it.

Latest posts

Back