ABN, CBN, Borazon, Grinding Wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it especially helpful when square grinding and needing to keep the crisp corner.

I've tried the kool grind but I can't get it to help anything yet. Slows down the cutting too much.

Blue ceramic wheel on my square grinder.

Could just be me, though, but I've stopped trying it.

Can someone define the differences and similiarities in these specialty grinding wheels? What are their advantages/disadvantages? I need a new 3/16" wheel for my Tecomec and an shopping wheels.

Brad,

ABN, CBN, and Borazon are trade names from different manufacturers of Cubic Borazon Nitride. DeBeers, GE, and others manufacture the crystal. The wheel manufacturers select either virgin CBN or reclaimed (from a strip and replate of a wheel), if virgin CBN then you may have a plated crystal (titanium, nickel, copper), an etched crystal (non-plated, chemical etched for bond adherence), or a unplated crystal. There are many grade specifications for friability also.

You may see a vast difference in wheel service life because of these factors.

You also may want to have your worn out plated wheels stripped and replated. It is much less expensive than new.

Brad,
just trying to help out where i can..LOL
naw, it'd be nice to try one of those fancy wheels but it would'nt work on my stihl USG grinder anyway (unless i had a bushing turned for it)....
it'd be funny if you received a box of wheels in the mail though ???
don't forget about meeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

Edge and Engine sells a Forester CBN wheel with a 12mm arbor that will fit the Stihl USG grinder for $99.95. They sent me an e-mail stating that they can supply me with the wheel.

I bought one of the Foresters from E&E a couple of weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but funny thing, I was planning to get it on tomorrow and sharpen a chain for a 281 I just got back together.

Brazon wheels

Breyerfarm, you are soo right. That KoolGrind wax has made all the difference for me.

I tried some new angles and shapes today on some of the Oregon wheels that I have. I sharpened 8 RSC 3/8 chains, I still think 60/30/10 or even 60/30/0 works the best. Haven't tried those ABN/CBN wheels yet, but I have been getting a lot of requests for sharpening, so maybe???

Jason

Well worth the money!

I have two of the Forester wheels purchased a little over a year ago. I have probably done 150 or so chains on each, some with some hefty amounts of material removed, and I can't tell any difference in the way the work now vs new. I like them bc you can hog out some serious metal without heating the tooth.

Latest posts

Back