? About Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaps

Kevlar is the best material for chaps. We use them at work. I personally like the Baileys green chaps.

Also...it is said that "chaps" should NEVER be machine washed...only hand-washed if you choose to wash at all. . . .
(it clearly is tagged on the waistband...to hand-wash only..!!)

You have to read the tags on individual chaps. Some have different washing instructions. Some manufacturers suggest that the chaps don't work as well when they are dirty.

I fold them flat and press suds through them on the bottom of a laundry tub. Same thing with rinse water. Then try to press/squeeze as much water out of them before lifting them from the tub to avoid pulling the pads loose.

Drip dry or dry flat.

Philbert

You have to read the tags on individual chaps. Some have different washing instructions. Some manufacturers suggest that the chaps don't work as well when they are dirty.

I fold them flat and press suds through them on the bottom of a laundry tub. Same thing with rinse water. Then try to press/squeeze as much water out of them before lifting them from the tub to avoid pulling the pads loose.

Drip dry or dry flat.

Philbert
You know I think the wold of you and respect your comments...But I've Never heard of 'dirty chaps' are a problem.

I've seen them old guys...that had chaps flat as new...and you could hardly identify the color...is it red or brown..??

If I'm in the woods or brush..I don't give a fat rat's ass..if they are clean or just filthy dirty..I want them 'stock' flat..

Bsnelling's chaps would be a good offering for what I'm sayin'..!! - Dude washes saw parts in his wife's dishwasher..!!

(NO chaps though...:hmm3grin2orange:)
:cheers:
J2F

What? You wear chaps for weedwacking? Come on. I run that in my shorts, I do wear steel toe boots as well.

Now for weedwhacking and brushcutting , I use a pair of coonhunting chaps made of light weight synthetic with full side zippers. Actually they are leggings that attach to your belt loop. Keeps your pantlegs and boot tops clean and helps buffer those pebble bits that gets whipped up in the melee. :rock:

Thanks for the replies I am going to order some chaps and I already have a couple Israeli tourniquets that I picked up at a combat medical class that I keep in my kit.

You know I think the wold of you and respect your comments...But I've Never heard of 'dirty chaps' are a problem.

Thank you for the kind words J2F. I enjoy your posts as well.

But as you probably know, I am also a guy who cleans his chains and puts saws in cases lined with oil absorbent pads (it's all documented here somewhere on A.S.).

And if I was the only guy to wash chaps, they wouldn't put the information on those tags, or on their websites:

Labonville Chap Specifications & Care

STIHL chain saw protective apparel is also wash and wear, unlike some other brands that require dry cleaning or light surface cleaning.

(Also, see attached from USFS).

I guess that the bottom line is I'm not gonna kick you out of the forest because your chaps are stained - I'm happy to just see you wear them. But if a guy is gonna wash them occasionally, he should read the directions. Throwing them in a top loader washer with bleach and your spouse's undergarments is NOT the way to do it!

Philbert

I personally use Labonville chaps and hope I never need to find out how good they are. I have a friend who uses Stihl chaps, and the backing on them is some kind of cheap material that acts as a sawdust and chip magnet. My Labonville's have the same outer lining on both the front and back surfaces and it's much better.

Thank you for the kind words J2F. I enjoy your posts as well.

But as you probably know, I am also a guy who cleans his chains and puts saws in cases lined with oil absorbent pads (it's all documented here somewhere on A.S.).

And if I was the only guy to wash chaps, they wouldn't put the information on those tags, or on their websites:

(Also, see attached from USFS).

I guess that the bottom line is I'm not gonna kick you out of the forest because your chaps are stained - I'm happy to just see you wear them. But if a guy is gonna wash them occasionally, he should read the directions. Throwing them in a top loader washer with bleach and your spouse's undergarments is NOT the way to do it!

Philbert
Exactly what I meant...the dude's chaps were like lumpy here and nothing there...So likely NOT the first wash.

What I'm sayin' is the "protective fabric inside is what stops the chain...the outer layer means nothing..clean or dirty.

I can't speak for all manufactures...but mine show NO cross stitching...

So it's sort of insides can move around ..NOT good..!! -

The dudes chaps I saw belonged on a bed (feather bed- quilt sort of thing).. Not on his legs...

I told him...he laughed - -all is good so far..!!..?? - -

Just sayin' they had seen MANY times machine washed..!!
J2F

Thanks, I am going to order a pair of labonville chaps.
Anyone have any experience with the elvex provest chainsaw vest ?

Thanks, I am going to order a pair of labonville chaps.
Anyone have any experience with the elvex provest chainsaw vest ?
OK...I just got to ask...I've never heard of a chainsaw vest.

Why are you interested in one..?? - I'm gonna guess 'kick-back' protection..??

If you are fearful of this..you are not doing something right...like sawing directly in front of your body
rather than off to one side..like to the right if you are right handed.

Also..other than limbing..always cut at a slight angle..ie. outside to inside..any kick-back is away from you.

Also..keep your handle hand close to the brake control for quick activation if there is a kick-back.
(Never trust that the 'inertia brake action' will be enough to actually trip the brake)
J2F

Was just surfing the online catalog for the chaps and saw the vest.

Was not sure of the application but since they are selling it someone must be buying.

The vest did not say Kevlar and said for limited kickback. I don't feel like I need a vest
But was just curious. On the other hand I do feel I need those chaps

Was just surfing the online catalog for the chaps and saw the vest.

Was not sure of the application but since they are selling it someone must be buying.

The vest did not say Kevlar and said for limited kickback. I don't feel like I need a vest
But was just curious. On the other hand I do feel I need those chaps
Thanks for the reply...Yes..for sure..get some chaps..!!

(and just because they are selling...err...'offering' them..doesn't mean they are selling any or much)
J2F

Chaps are made in the USA Labonville full wraps:rock: saw is a 346xp husky I purchased today.

Chaps are made in the USA Labonville full wraps:rock: saw is a 346xp husky I purchased today.

Just placed my order for the full labonville wraps in green. Going to unpack my husky 550xp
On Monday and change out to 3/8"
Going to try both an 18" and 20" Oregon pro lite bar and see how it goes.

Just placed my order for the full labonville wraps in green. Going to unpack my husky 550xp
On Monday and change out to 3/8"
Going to try both an 18" and 20" Oregon pro lite bar and see how it goes.

The picture above I'm running .325 semi chisel on 18" limbing red cedar, works great. Be safe:msp_thumbup:

I said.."Brushcutting..not 'weed-whacking' - BIG difference..IMHO - there's 'kick-back' occasionally and don't want in my leg!!

Just messin' with ya - - You knew what I meant...briars and brambles can be nasty stuff...!! - and there's 6' stuff too..!!
(were talking metal chisel blades here..!! - and 'blades' means just that - and NOT 'Bars" - LOL..!!)

You get those big chisel..(and shredder) blades spinning hard...they can rip some ass..if you can't control 'em..!!
J2F

Ah, you're using solid metal blades. I do weedwacking and brushcutting with the plastic blades, they are on pins so when you hit something hard, they simply move and take the kickback down to nearly nothing. Plus, I took a piece of rubber about 1/8" thick, and made a little flap that comes off of the bottom of the guard... no more crap on my shins or boots, and no more debris flying out at Mach 2 into my legs. Also prevents scalping of the lawn since it holds the trimmer head at a certain height from the ground.

Now for weedwhacking and brushcutting , I use a pair of coonhunting chaps made of light weight synthetic with full side zippers. Actually they are leggings that attach to your belt loop. Keeps your pantlegs and boot tops clean and helps buffer those pebble bits that gets whipped up in the melee. :rock:

See above, a rubber flap attached to the plastic guard with small self tapping screws and washers negated the need for chaps or otherwise. I'll have to get a pic posted one of these days.

I still need to bump up the compression of the Ryobi SS30... maybe port it a little more and make, then install a tuned pipe... It already turns what sounds like 15-16,000 rpm unloaded, drops maybe to 14-15,000 under load cutting brush. The trimmer head says 13,000 max rpm. Yeah, for the old string type. This Grass Gator triple blade head is holding up great... the drive shaft is doing well... but the clutch sounds like it needs a new spring...

Yes, chainsaw chaps are a good idea. Buy them and hope you never need them. Same principle as carrying band aids, having a CCW, or working out on the farm and having a rifle in the tractor. In the worst case something weird happens when you're felling trees, delimbing them, or bucking logs, your legs will likely be okay. Can't say the same for jeans or otherwise... plus those hospital bills can be amazingly expensive...

Back