About to buy gear, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly.

You need a climbing line.
You can't get out of the tree quickly without one,especially when you need to the most,,,,, if you are injured.
With a climbing line,you can get to the ground in a few seconds with only one hand,if need be.

And yes my friend,that could be a matter of life and death

i should have mentioned this myself.plus working of an anchor point above you makes moving around easier.

excellent advice.

Not likely that I'll convince you but here's something to think about...

Before bringing a chainsaw up into a tree a person has to learn how to BE in a tree. That takes some time, can't be instantly learned by reading a book. So if you were my next door neighbor I would recommend the following...

Learn how to climb. Don't carry a chain saw up, for a while. Don't even bring a hand saw up. Just climb, get very familiar with your climbing system with many hours in trees. Build up your climbing skill and strength. Climb with experienced climbers, observe how they move in the tree (instant humility, there's a lot you don't know yet, just watching a good climber will teach you volumes). When you start carrying a hand saw make your first cuts pruning deadwood. Start with small stuff, see how it behaves, learn how to control it when you drop it. Move up to larger branches, learn how to rig it down with a rope. Remember you're still using a hand saw. Learn how to prune live branches properly, study the branch collar, tree anatomy etc. Ok, maybe now you're ready to bring a chain saw up and survive, maybe.

If you have to have a tree down now go find someone qualified to do it.
-moss

i wish i had started with a hand saw in the beginning.i use it now more than my chainsaw.it's a life saver.

Do you untie her or does she have to escape?;-)

Chunking down a large pine spar as a "first project?" Now we are back in troll land.

That's right. I am learning how to do tree work, therefore I MUST be a troll. I have yet to see the word "troll" use correctly once on this forum. Was there a serious problem with real trolls at some point in this forum's past or what?

I've been talking to some pro's in person and they never seem to have a problem with me, in fact they like me.

Plas I'd not weight myself down with unnecessary gear starting off. The climbing rope can wait until you get more experience in the field.

Follow your bliss!

Giving bad safety advice intentionally, hoping someone gets hurt, that is super cool. I mean that is a REALLY cool thing to do. So cool in fact it probably warrants banning, in my opinion.

Not likely that I'll convince you but here's something to think about...

Before bringing a chainsaw up into a tree a person has to learn how to BE in a tree. That takes some time, can't be instantly learned by reading a book. So if you were my next door neighbor I would recommend the following...

Learn how to climb. Don't carry a chain saw up, for a while. Don't even bring a hand saw up. Just climb, get very familiar with your climbing system with many hours in trees. Build up your climbing skill and strength. Climb with experienced climbers, observe how they move in the tree (instant humility, there's a lot you don't know yet, just watching a good climber will teach you volumes). When you start carrying a hand saw make your first cuts pruning deadwood. Start with small stuff, see how it behaves, learn how to control it when you drop it. Move up to larger branches, learn how to rig it down with a rope. Remember you're still using a hand saw. Learn how to prune live branches properly, study the branch collar, tree anatomy etc. Ok, maybe now you're ready to bring a chain saw up and survive, maybe.

If you have to have a tree down now go find someone qualified to do it.
-moss

I would agree that you should start with a handsaw first. I would also say that you might want to master "rope climbing" before starting into climbing with spurs. After you get rope climbing down, using spikes will seem easy. At least that how it was for me. Good luck and stay safe, everyone has to learn sometime, you at least are making a good effort.:yoyo:

Life line

I should also add that using a climbing line while on spikes allows you to get tools from the ground, so I would highly recommend using one, as it is very efficient, as well as safer and opens up better positioning options.
Take care.

I am not worried about a climbing line yet, I am doing take-downs that do not require me to leave the trunk...lanyard and secondary back-up are what I need.

With your attitude, I question why you're even posting as you seem to pretty much have an answer to everything.

That being said, e2e or split tail, doesn't matter. Go with a batton seat to start out. Leg straps are much better for moving and climbing but you'll be uncomfortable for a long time until you learn proper body positioning etc. Why get a wire core flip line? Not nearly as pliable or as versatile. Get a climbing line. When you get tired, scared, uncomfortable, you can come down without having to use your spikes. And finally, 192 is about as useful as a handsaw, if you're buying spend the money and get a 200T

Last edited:
With your attitude, I question why you're even posting as you seem to pretty much have an answer to everything.

That being said, e2e or split tail, doesn't matter. Go with a batton seat to start out. Leg straps are much better for moving and climbing but you'll be uncomfortable for a long time until you learn proper body positioning etc. Why get a wire core flip line? Not nearly as pliable or as versatile. Get a climbing line. When you get tired, scared, uncomfortable, you can come down without having to use your spikes.

He might want a wire core lanyard for the safety factor. They also "flip" better than rope lanyards when spiking up a spar. I totally agree with you about the climbing line though. It also would help you to be tied in twice. After I blow the top out of a tree, I always choker my life line to to spar as a back up.

If you need to get to the ground quickly look for a soft spot and just take a flying leap! :)

Sometimes I ponder what heaven is like. I'm starting to think that it's simply the world we live in now, but without TreeCo.

Seriously dude, WHAT is your problem with me? I did nothing to you, nothing whatsoever. You just arbitrarily decided to despise me for no reason.

I'm just playing along.

You ask blistering stupid questions....

.....we make fun!

So what you are saying is that this is not a forum for beginners trying to learn, but rather guys who are experienced? Is this a directive from the owner of the forum, of from you? Did the owner of the forum state that the Arborist 101 section is to only be used by seasoned pro's? I'd like to see that email, perhaps you can post it.

Also, allow me to ask you a personal question: how old are you? An appropriate answer would be a number, not "older than you, son" or any other spammish reply.

why not? and define "brand new" if you will.

I've been using mine on pines since it was new with no problem. Am I missing something?

I was wondering the same thing. One really has to take advice given over the internet with a grain of salt. Yesterday I was repeating some of the stuff I've read on here to a "real life" pro, and he was like what the hell? I quickly stopped parroting back this stuff before I made a total ass of myself! There's a few real-deal pro's on here. My favorite is Reg, he's cool!

The other thing you will run into on any forum is posers...people on an aviation site who claim to be a 747 pilot who never even piloted a small plane. The internet allows people to live their dreams in a fantasy kind of way. Sorry to go off on a tangent!

Pretenders

I was wondering the same thing. One really has to take advice given over the internet with a grain of salt. Yesterday I was repeating some of the stuff I've read on here to a "real life" pro, and he was like what the hell? I quickly stopped parroting back this stuff before I made a total ass of myself! There's a few real-deal pro's on here. My favorite is Reg, he's cool!

The other thing you will run into on any forum is posers...people on an aviation site who claim to be a 747 pilot who never even piloted a small plane. The internet allows people to live their dreams in a fantasy kind of way. Sorry to go off on a tangent!

You're right about that. But sooner or later they say something that gives them away, when they do it's pretty obvious!

I've been using mine on pines since it was new with no problem. Am I missing something?

The only logical reason for not using a new lanyard on pine that I can think of is the sap build up. I think it was JPS that was telling me he always uses bit pieces of old climbing line for lanyards when working in pine.

Personally i always use a steelcore, but if you get a brand new one all gunked up with pine sap it can be a real PITA to adjust your friction hitch. I use an ascender type adjuster so not as much of an issue , but gunking up brand new gear gets me ill. Also i never wear any new clothes if we are doing pine trees that day...

This thread is already de-railled so here comes more de-railling. If you use a lanyard with a Microcender type adjuster, is sap on the rope an issue at all? I currently use a hitch on my lanyard and I know what evergreens do to those, but I do have several other lanyards with Microcenders that I might be switching to. Anyway, I guess I am asking if the pitch on the rope will affect the mechanical adjuster at all?

Plasmech, one word of warning to you. Make sure your pro buddy is actually a professional arborist and not some hack that makes you think he/they have all the answers. Everything you mentioned about the Internet is very true, but you should use the same cation with "real" people too. I don't consider myself a new-b any more and I am always happy to see new arborists posting questions. The more you are on this site, the easier it will be to figure out who's full of it and who's not. In the mean time, keep posting and I hope everyone will be nice and helpful towards you.:cheers:

i never had a problem with sap on my lanyard.

it's a wire core with rope grab.we do a lot of white pines here.always oozing sap.

i also use my 192t a lot more than my 200t.you don't usually need the 200 till you're in the stalk.

Plas, don't' worry about treeco. he's all pissed off because he hasn't't had his daily bowel movement. People are just that way sometime don't let him get to you, he is what he is. In this particular thread he is the one that sounds like a troll, don't ya think. take your time, get familiar with all the gear and tools, pay attention to what advice and teaching you get from guys who know what they are doing and you should be doing pretty good in the next couple of years.

Good luck and stay safe.:)

this thread is full of useless junk so let me add mine to the mix........................................ok, there it is

Latest posts

Back