acquired a new saw today. long post with pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mujgy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was mowing some ditches for my uncle today and was sharing a few beers in his garage when I had finished. We had our usual conversation about the crops, weather and economy. Then I brought up the saw that was sitting on a shelf bugging me the last couple years. He wouldn't sell it to me last year because he was hoping his son in law would buy it. Turns out he had had the saw tuned up and the Stihl dealer said they would give him 250 for it. So he told his son in law 300. Well this son in law said why would he buy it if he can just come borrow it when he needed it.

So needless to say when I offered him 250 for it today he said that would be just fine. It's an 85 038 AVS Farm Boss, 20in bar and 2 RSC3 chains. Pretty clean saw, needs a new spur, fuel tank filler gasket, and the cover that goes between the bar and saw. Runs great. I'll likely tear it down this winter and clean it all out.

I know its worth a little more but he doesn't use it any more anyway. He's thinking of MS180 or MS211 or something small like that. He really likes the new elastostart cords. About all he used this saw for was cutting up REA poles for fence posts but he couldn't start it anymore due to a bad shoulder. I plan to use it as a felling saw or backup to the MS362. Might have to get a 25in bar and chain for it.

Should I put a rim sprocket on it instead of a spur?

This should be a 67cc saw if the research I've done is correct. Plus I gave my dad his 038 back.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very clean looking 038. This is just the standard 038. Stihl made it in 3 sizes, yours (standard AVS), a Super, and a Magnum. Your saw is 61.0 cc, 3.72 cu.in., 4.0 hp,

Thats the same as my late grandpas saw. It has many hours on it and still runs fine, but is noisey. I have been thinking I should go through it, I think parts are still all available according the one local dealer.

nice saw, those old saws just keep on runnin!!!!! you can purchase just the elasto-start handle and put it on anything..... might even make that 038 a little easier on the hand to start!!! i think the super is 70 or 72 cc.....i have been wrong before!!!!!! someone on here will know!

nice saw, those old saws just keep on runnin!!!!! you can purchase just the elasto-start handle and put it on anything..... might even make that 038 a little easier on the hand to start!!! i think the super is 70 or 72 cc.....i have been wrong before!!!!!! someone on here will know!

The "Magnum" is the 72cc version. The "Super" is 67cc and the standard is 61cc.

Well from what I have found out reading many forum threads is if the tag only says 038 then it is 61cc. If it says AVS, Super, Farm Boss and so on its 67cc. And obviously if it says magnum its a 72cc.

This being one that seemed accurate.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42146

But when I tear it down this winter I'll measure the piston to know for sure.

Last edited:
So a 038 Magnum II popped up on craigslist for $400, in really nice shape, 20" bar, new bearings, seals, rings. Not that I need another saw, how would it compare to my 440? Just curious....

Back