Added Some Red To The Stable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Became the proud owner of a Jonsered 2186 today. A little overkill for what I cut normally but I have a friend with a couple of 30" oaks and another friend with a big white pine so it will stretch it's legs every so often.

Looked for a clean 70 cc saw but they didn't exist for much less than new retail. Lots of 85-90 cc saws for sale this time of year so the price was right.

Became the proud owner of a Jonsered 2186 today. A little overkill for what I cut normally but I have a friend with a couple of 30" oaks and another friend with a big white pine so it will stretch it's legs every so often.

Looked for a clean 70 cc saw but they didn't exist for much less than new retail. Lots of 85-90 cc saws for sale this time of year so the price was right.
Did you get that from the trading post? That was a nice saw.

svk, thats a nice saw, you will enjoy it. Like you said, it will not get used often, but sure is nice when you have a big one to cut up. What size bar did you get on it?
Purchased PHO. I currently only have an 18" in that pattern so that should be fun to use (cackling).

Big saws are fun! I don't use my Dolmar 7900 much but if I come across a 30" log that's the one that's nice to have! I have limited experience with Jonsereds but my 1983 Jred 630 was good enough that I sold my like new Stihl 361 because it works as well for half the cost. It goes to the woods as much or more than my newer saws.

I was curious of your outcome after the posting in the chainsaw section, a lot of brand bias there... :crazy2:
Well as you can see from my sig I'm a Swedish saw guy but was willing to play the field here.

The 70 cc saws move across the trading post like hot cakes and the clean Stihls command a premium that is too much for me to take. To tell the truth, I wanted and had the funding to buy a new 461. But if you offered me a clean used 2186 AND enough coin leftover for new hydro splitter the decision became pretty easy to make.

Nothing is forever and if I see a 70 cc saw that I really "need" I can always snap it up and sell the big boy. If I post it on southern MN craigslist there are enough big trees to increase the demand.

Well as you can see from my sig I'm a Swedish saw guy but was willing to play the field here.

The 70 cc saws move across the trading post like hot cakes and the clean Stihls command a premium that is too much for me to take. To tell the truth, I wanted and had the funding to buy a new 461. But if you offered me a clean used 2186 AND enough coin leftover for new hydro splitter the decision became pretty easy to make.

Nothing is forever and if I see a 70 cc saw that I really "need" I can always snap it up and sell the big boy. If I post it on southern MN craigslist there are enough big trees to increase the demand.
Hopefully one comes across soon because you will sell that 2186 to me. :D

But seriously, an 18" bar? LoL wow, I'd recommend a 24 or little larger haha. Hey, with all that coin you saved you can buy a nice Total bar. :yes:

My 385 is perfectly balanced with a 28 bar. Why brand bias? there is only 3 manufacturers of chainsaws not counting chink ones.

Also...

I just checked out your thread in the saw section.

Regarding the chains.....

I run both full and skip in chisel and full semi-chisel for the 394.

I can get the skip sharpened a touch faster.

Bar length is your preference. I wouldn't go any shorter than 28" though for that saw.

One of my 7900's wears a 28" and the other a 24". Both balance well.

Back