Added two leaf springs to my truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawoodcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Added two leaf springs to my 1/2 ton ext cab GMC the other day. Our good friend mechanic who did it for me said it would give me an extra 800 lbs and should not affect ride quality. Best money I ever spent, rides the same (still like sh!t), and holds a lot more without sagging so bad. He said he could have added four leaf springs and give me 1600 lbs but I would have bounced down the freeway.

I still try not to overload it, but it at least lets me fill the bed and not sag like crazy.

I added some to mine, made my 2wd and high as a 4wd.. It did stiffen up the ride some but you get used to it. I'm pretty happy with them also.. Between getting wood and geting hay we use the truck quite abit so it was worth it..

I am assuming he added 2 leaf springs on each side? The junk yards around here are charging about $35 a leaf for used springs, then add on about $35 for 4 new U bolts and 2 new center bolts. About 1-1/2 hrs labor, the going labor rate around here is about $85 per hour. So unless you do it yourself you are probably looking at around $302.50 not counting tax.

I put new 1/2 spring in 1 per side.. I have a buddy that owns a spring shop so I gave him a case of beer he bent and cut my springs and I did all the work. 2 stock spring might be abit much. 1 new add-a-leaf style spring is probably better..IMO

(Quote)" the going labor rate around here is about $85 per hour. "

Wow, there are a couple of shops around me that charge between $40 and $60 per hour.

Kyle

Added two leaf springs to my 1/2 ton ext cab GMC the other day. Our good friend mechanic who did it for me said it would give me an extra 800 lbs and should not affect ride quality. Best money I ever spent, rides the same (still like sh!t), and holds a lot more without sagging so bad. He said he could have added four leaf springs and give me 1600 lbs but I would have bounced down the freeway.

I still try not to overload it, but it at least lets me fill the bed and not sag like crazy.
Now make sure the tires can handle it. Check the load rating. I'm using H265 tires on the Ford Ranger shown on my avatar. That's what the F250 takes as standard and is no longer available that big on the Ranger. I also run 45 psi on the back and 40 psi on the front.

He means air bags.. you get get small ones that will help carry heavy loads,, I was thinking of getting some in the future.. air them up when you need them, air them down for a stock ride when you don't.

ANother added bouns about air bags is having a compressor on board.. Comes in real handy!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
i was thinking fo air bags too, i dont really need em though. i had over 2600lbs in the bed and the truck took it like a champ :) i try not to load it down that much but i put a hell of alot of wood in it most everytime i get a load. (i have tall sides)

You might consider a support for the rear end housing. I've seen 1/2 ton pickups bend the rear end housing and break off all of the lug studs. I used to work in a frame shop and we saw a lot of damage from over loaded 1/2 ton rear ends. One of the guys that I worked with had a big overhead camper on a 1/2 ton pickup. Every weekend that he used it, he straightened the rear end housing on Monday.

I use an Air Lift bag on the left side of my F350 where my crane/boom sits, it levels the truck bed back up with 50 psi in it. Otherwise, the 600 lb weight of the crane makes the bed sag lower. When I do take the crane off, just let the air out -

Supersprings

These are amazing. Put them on my last two trucks.About 1/2 hr. to install and cost a little over $200.00 at A&A auto. They are progressive and don't take away from the ride till ya get a load on. Awesome for towing and just plain hauling. And there are two different weights to choose from.Get em, ya won't be sorry.

I had one leaf spring added to each side. 200 dollars installed. I know the limit of my truck, unfortunately my parents don't. They borrowed my truck to haul some dirt and my buddy (that lives across the street from them) texted me a picture of the loaded truck the next day. Could not believe it, bumper was near dragging on the ground. Ended up replacing the whole rear end. bent rear end cost 1400 dollars. No biggie though, they paid for it, because I did warn them that they should not fill it up with dirt. Kind of pissed at the dirt guy who loaded the truck though. He should have known better, my mom probably did not know.

Yep , I was talking about the Air-Lift air bag kits they offer for trucks.

I found that after I lifted my SDF350 that My new tall springs work great off-road but stunk at hauling/towing.

I put there 3,500 lb kit on my 00 SD and it made all the difference in the world. When I haul firewood I like to do it 3 cords at a time and before bags my truck would drag it's butt with 7K of logs on my 20' trailer and a 8' bed full of cut stuff. I leave 45 psi in the bags at all times , smooths the ride of a 1 ton truck and levels it nicely... when I haul I air them up to 100 psi and I
couldn't squat it if I tried !

Get a set of Timbrens. I've added springs, add-a-leaves, air bags, and w/o a doubt the Timbrens are the best all around product I've tried. Cost about $200 shipped, about 20 minutes to install, no degradation of ride quality with no load, and those suckers hold about four tons w/o having any major squatting issues.

Last edited:
Back