Added two leaf springs to my truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a truck with a floating rear axle, that means a heavy duty 3/4 ton or 1 ton. 1/2 tons are girls trucks, with their car like rear axle and such.

Get a set of Timbrens. I've added springs, add-a-leaves, air bags, and w/o a doubt the Timbrens are the best all around product I've tried. Cost about $200 shipped, about 20 minutes to install, no degradation of ride quality with no load, and those suckers hold about four tons w/o having any major squatting issues.

+1 on the Timbrens. I put them on my 1/2 ton, but I realize it's still a 1/2 ton and I treat it accordingly. I use the Timbrens for keeping the hind end up when pulling the trailer. Next truck will be at least a 3/4 ton, a 1 ton would be preferred.

Kevin

a half ton truck of TODAY just isn't built to handle much. I've had 7 of them in the last 12 years, and finally bought a 3/4 Diesel. Its just sad how weak the new 1/2 tons are.
I'd suggest a 3/4 ton to anyone seriousely working a truck. AL wheels are often weaker than the tires, so look at them too.

One of the reasons half tons these days are kind of light is that they are expected to ride like a car. Most people that have them only haul something in them occasionally. I know guys that got told to go away from certain dealers when they wanted a basic reg cab long box 4x4 1/2 ton pickup. All they carried were extend cab short box xlt / xlt lariat half ton trucks for the car replacement crowd.

Now with the gas price scare there is an exodus back into cars for some people who really didn't have much need for a truck.

Both of my trucks are 3/4 tons and both ride like crap but you can stack the wood in them without worry. I have a little car to get me to and from work for cheap so the trucks only get used for the most part when I need to haul something.

Don

I know guys that got told to go away from certain dealers when they wanted a basic reg cab long box 4x4 1/2 ton pickup. All they carried were extend cab short box xlt / xlt lariat half ton trucks for the car replacement crowd.

I've never understood the point of buying a full size truck with the extended cab and short bed. WTF is that arrangement good for, other that to say you own a truck??? 8' box is mandatory on any truck I would ever own...

Now with the gas price scare there is an exodus back into cars for some people who really didn't have much need for a truck.
I'd venture to say 90+% of truck owners do not 'need' a truck. Hell, I've travelled 100+ miles to picked up truck tires, a stove, 80 gal. water tank, etc with my 2000 Jetta TDI (I think I even have pictures for any doubters since everyone said I couldn't do it). I think most truck owners just own a truck to be part of the cool guy club.

Both of my trucks are 3/4 tons and both ride like crap but you can stack the wood in them without worry. I have a little car to get me to and from work for cheap so the trucks only get used for the most part when I need to haul something.

Don
I'm with you on that. Only I use the Jetta for hauling if possible when there's any distance involved... 50mpg trumps 20mpg any day of the week. :)

I wish I was in the market for a new truck. The dodge dealer has 08' Rams for 18K-20K off. They're pratically giving them away.

I wish I was in the market for a new truck. The dodge dealer has 08' Rams for 18K-20K off. They're pratically giving them away.

Is this a factory thing or dealer? I was going to drop money into my 97 12v this winter to get her up to snuf, but that sounds pretty enticing!

not sure.. might just be dealer thing.. Word is no one is buying big truck due to gas prices.. They have a whack of tuck on the lot. migth be worth checking out in your area.

Ya, I know most dealers have a lot of trucks and SUVs sitting on the lot these days. I've heard they are really trying to push them out the door, but I had not heard they were discounting $18-20k. If I could buy a 2008 3500 4x4with the diesel for $25k, I'd probably jump on that!

you can get a 4 door 1500 here with a hemi for around 22-24K.(thats with 18K off) Let alone a 3500..

I've never understood the point of buying a full size truck with the extended cab and short bed. WTF is that arrangement good for, other that to say you own a truck??? 8' box is mandatory on any truck I would ever own...
:)

Here is the WTF....Mine is a extended cab, short bed, and I have hauled 10 cords to my house this year. Extended cab so I can carry the wife and kids in it. Short bed fits in the garage when I want it to. If I had no kids, sure bet I would buy a 8ft diesel. But I bought this one used and fairly cheap (diesel too expensive), so I could spend my extra money on my wife and kids, transport the wife and kids, and still have something to haul the heat home in.

I've never understood the point of buying a full size truck with the extended cab and short bed. WTF is that arrangement good for, other that to say you own a truck??? 8' box is mandatory on any truck I would ever own

I also have an extended cab to haul the wife and kids. the bed is 6' 6" so I am only losing .11 cord or 14.9 cubic feet over a 8' bed. If I need to haul more I have a trailer. The club cab is also great for locking up tools etc. you don't want to leave outside in the bed. My friend went into the store and had his small tool box stolen out of his truck bed in a 10 min. time.

Around here you can never be too sure whether someone's going to laugh or get all pi$$ed off!!!

:hmm3grin2orange:

No, that was about the funniest thing I read all day. :)

People that get all pissed about stuff they read on the Internet need to lighten up, we're all here for the same passion... but some of us that do get upset are just jealous because we don't own the 60th aniversary cool guy club edition equipment. :laugh:

:cheers:

No, that was about the funniest thing I read all day. :)

People that get all pissed about stuff they read on the Internet need to lighten up, we're all here for the same passion... but some of us that do get upset are just jealous because we don't own the 60th aniversary cool guy club edition equipment. :laugh:

:cheers:

don't worry, I'm not pissed. Just wanted to enlighten why I have what I do. Believe me, I wish I had a brand new Ford F350 diesel sometimes. Then when mine gets the crap beat out of it and all scratched up in the woods, I am happy with what I got. I have a truck for one reason, to use it, if I was afraid of it getting scratched, I would have no reason to have a truck.

Now, if you say WTF do people want a crappy MS460 for, I will hunt you down....

don't worry, I'm not pissed. Just wanted to enlighten why I have what I do. Believe me, I wish I had a brand new Ford F350 diesel sometimes. Then when mine gets the crap beat out of it and all scratched up in the woods, I am happy with what I got. I have a truck for one reason, to use it, if I was afraid of it getting scratched, I would have no reason to have a truck.

Now, if you say WTF do people want a crappy MS460 for, I will hunt you down....

ROFL (in puddle of spit up coffee)
NOW THAT's WHAT REP IS FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back