Adding a log lift valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bert0168

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK experts, I'm looking for information on how to plumb a second valve into my system to run a log lift I plan on adding to my splitter (don't worry, I'll have pictures when the build starts :msp_tongue:)

I obviously want to run it off the same pump but don't know how to hook the supply and return into the system so they operate independently.

Pictures, links, descriptions or diagrams are all welcome.

Edit: They are both open center valves, the split cylinder is detent on return, the lift cylinder will be spring return both ways

Last edited:
OK experts, I'm looking for information on how to plumb a second valve into my system to run a log lift I plan on adding to my splitter (don't worry, I'll have pictures when the build starts :msp_tongue:)

I obviously want to run it off the same pump but don't know how to hook the supply and return into the system so they operate interdependently.

Pictures, links, descriptions or diagrams are all welcome.

Edit: They are both open center valves, the split cylinder is detent on return, the lift cylinder will be spring return both ways

It will depend on the valve you have now. It's going to need a 'power beyond' cartridge. Some valves will accommodate one and some won't. If you have a part number on the existing valve and/or a picture, maybe I or someone else can help you further. Your existing valve may already HAVE a power beyond in it, but I'd have to see it to know. It's usually in the side of the valve next to or near the return line.

Most will tell you you'll need a power beyond capable valve and the power beyond sleeve in the valve then the lift valve. Now if the lift valve has power beyond it will have to be the first valve in line. If the splitter valve has pb capabilities it will need to be the first in line. I haven't seen a splitter valve with power beyond capabilities.

I haven't seen a splitter valve with power beyond capabilities.

You can't say that anymore ;) Here is mine. Auto cycle on left(first from the pump) then to 2 spool (on right) for my stabilizer arms. Both have returns going to filter then tank.

MVC-029S_3.JPG

MVC-021S_34.JPG

It would be pretty unlikely your current valve can be converted to a power beyond but see what you have and go from there.

You will probably get advised that two ordinary valves can run in series and that PB is not needed. That works, but is risky as the first valve gets full pressure on the Tank port. Also may defeat the relief valve depending on the layout.
First choice is power beyond on the first valve in the series.
Second choice is a 6 port 2 way manual selector valve to swtich between the two cylinders (split or lift) but it may be a hassle to use.
Could use a 3 port selector between pump and the two valves, but then you need a new relief valve before the selector

Added: or get a 2 spool valve?

kcj

Last edited:
Here is the lift valve I have, it's the 20038 (top right, 2nd page)
http://www.energymfg.com/pdf/broch_hydraulicvalve.pdf

I'll get the split valve picts up later

That literature states that all their valves are capable of accepting a power beyond valve unless it's a closed center valve, which I doubt. So just give them a call and get the power beyond valve and we can go from there.

I would NOT, under ANY circumstances, plumb ordinary valves in series. That defeats a lot of safety's and might get you hurt. At the very least it could cost you a lot of money when a valve blows apart.

Kevin in Ohio has built a darn nice unit and probably has a little more knowledge than I do on this subject... pick his brain!

You can't say that anymore ;) Here is mine. Auto cycle on left(first from the pump) then to 2 spool (on right) for my stabilizer arms. Both have returns going to filter then tank.

MVC-029S_3.JPG

MVC-021S_34.JPG

It would be pretty unlikely your current valve can be converted to a power beyond but see what you have and go from there.

I should have said a single cheap valve..LOL

I should have said a single cheap valve..LOL

Actually the 2 spool is Power beyond capable too. Takes the same part as I recall. I wasn't sure what I'd do with the layout at that point but wanted to have the option. Ideally you want the most used valve first for less heat and restriction factors.

MVC-023S_18.JPG

To the OP, On your returns, I'd run them together before your filter. Pipe fittings are okay here as long as you up the size. You don't want to neck it down and cause a restriction. A simple T fitting will be fine but try to put the main flow on the straight side of the T. I had to use a cross as I have a bypass on my autocycle valve to save the wear and tear.

MVC-019S_15.JPG

I'm no expert either and there are loads of guys who are, on here. This site is where I learned a lot and try to share as others have helped me along the way.

Most will tell you you'll need a power beyond capable valve and the power beyond sleeve in the valve then the lift valve. Now if the lift valve has power beyond it will have to be the first valve in line. If the splitter valve has pb capabilities it will need to be the first in line. I haven't seen a splitter valve with power beyond capabilities.

Bailey Hydraulics has that valve, Putting one on my splitter build. 3/4 in and out / 3/4 work ports. about $270.00 I think

The 20038 valve is capable of 3000 PSI on the outlet port when connected in series. It MUST be placed in series first, downstream of the pump outlet and the splitter valve inlet port. The two valves should only be operated individually, not simultaneously since the downstream induced load pressure on the splitter valve will affect the log lift valve's internal relief valve.
If you have questions, call.
Steve Hansen
Applications Engineer
Energy Manufacturing Co., Inc. /
Williams Machine & Tool Co.
(319)-465-3537 X-402
(319)-465-5279 FAX
[email protected]

Back