adding diesel to high ethanol gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dancing Bear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On another forum I visit someone stated they add diesel to their 2 cycle mix due to high ethanol content in their gas. I searched this site and the web but found nothing on this. Does anyone here do this?
I'm still able to get straight gas here but that may change in the coming year.

I can only get 87octane in non ethanol here in southern Indiana.
I am thinking of going to 100ll av gas for all my 2cycle stuff.
The new diesel fuel has very little sulfur. This is the substance that gives diesel fuel its lubrication qualities. I add 2cycle oil to my on road diesel to get the lubrication benefit.
Off road diesel still has sulfur in it.
The EPA has really ruined diesels in this country.
I know why someone would put diesel fuel in with there 2cycle mix?

Why would they do this? Adding diesel would lower the octane rating.

Supposedly for added lubrication. I'm curious if this is BS or not. Here's the post:

"The ethanol that we have mixed into gas here in southern Missouri is much more than the 10% that is not a problem. Some times it is as high as 40% ethanol. This high ethanol will burn too hot for your saw and the oil mix cannot overcome the loss of lubrication. The solution to high ethanol in your fuel is to add a full 2 cycle oil bottle of diesel to the gas oil mix. This lowers the exhaust gas temp by as much as 40f and adds lubrication. You may not spend as much time around the repair shops or know the folks that work there as I do but its your saw. I mix my fuel with premium gas, stihl synthitic oil and diesel. Also around here Stihl has a tech scheet posted at the repair shops telling you to mix in the deisel."

There are a lot of things wrong with that qoute. The highest ethanol content allowed in the country right now is 15% I believe. Around here I see 10%. I don't know what E85 is at, but I doubt its 40%. Oil is for lubrication and cooling and the temp change of 40F in the exhaust has little bearing on the heat produced by the moving parts in the engine. Diesel has a much higher flashpoint like oil. It takes a lot more heat to ignite it and doesn't burn as hot. I don't see how the addition of diesel would be any different from adding more oil except that diesel is not as good of a lubricator. I would like to see his Stihl tech "scheets" that claim so. Now adding diesel to bar oil to thin it for cold temp use is a different story. Maybe thats what he saw in the Stihl "scheets". The biggest problem with ethanol is seperation and greater chance of engine knock, not cooling.

We work with two-stroke race engines and the problem with the ethanol, beside the decomposition of rubber parts is the ethanol does not mix with the oil as gasoline does. These oils were designed to mix with gas with a very low ethanol content or no ethanol at all. The flash point of ethanol is lower than that of gas, it is the mixing property's that is the problem. I would try using a synthetic or blend oil, and possibly a richer oil ratio 40/1or 32/1 etc. Also using a current design oil, and not something 10 years old may help. In South America the Japanese sell 2 stroke motorcycles that run on pure ethanol, thy have extra oil inputs for the oil injection and have a small tank with gasoline to aid in initial starting as the pure ethanol initial combustion is very poor. These bikes are down considerably in power from their North America counterparts.

There are a lot of things wrong with that qoute. The highest ethanol content allowed in the country right now is 15% I believe. Around here I see 10%. I don't know what E85 is at, but I doubt its 40%.

It's 15%. The "85" in E85 is 85% gasoline, 15% ethanol. 40%? BS!

It's 15%. The "85" in E85 is 85% gasoline, 15% ethanol. 40%? BS!

E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy.

lwn9186 is right E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline

Diesel?

I recently read a past thread where someone's home mix was Gasoline, Diesel, and Seafoam...

no mention of 2Stroke oil at all... sez they have been using it in all their saws for years!

:dunno:

Saws that I have seen that had some diesel left in the can by mistake before saw mix was made caused the fuel line in the tank to swell up and the fuel filter to fall off..

Scott

I run a quart of off road to 9 1/2 gals of Av fuel plus one quart of Seafoam and two bottles of mix oil.

Possum, why do you run that mix? What benefit does it provide? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand what I'm missing.

Do your saws have catalytic converters? Isn't the lead in 100LL bad for the cat?

I recently read a past thread where someone's home mix was Gasoline, Diesel, and Seafoam...

no mention of 2Stroke oil at all... sez they have been using it in all their saws for years!

:dunno:

Go back and reread that post I fixed it I think. I do know to put in the mix oil. It works for me.

Back