adding diesel to high ethanol gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why put the diesel in? Not trying to be a jag, just curious.

That's just the way we've always mixed. We have an 028wb that's 34 years old and this summer I tore it down to look around. It Stihl looked new inside, I went ahead and put a $12 pair of rings in it and it runs like new again. When you get that kind of service out of it why change the mix. It came from my sawmillng Gran paw.

I don't know if it is the 100Av fuel or the diesel or the combination of it all but like I said it's worked for us so far. We run the crap out of these saws they don't sit in the shed like alot of um do, so go figure. This is all that we run in all of the saws we have right now. We run 18 work saws and have a back up stable so if one by chance goes down. The only thing we've had to happen in a long time, we had four oilers to go out in one week. This was not from the mix we run, it's the time we run um. Okay I'm done I'll shut up and move on. The End

Possum, why do you run that mix? What benefit does it provide? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand what I'm missing.

Do your saws have catalytic converters? Isn't the lead in 100LL bad for the cat?

WE DON"T RUN NO CATS.
Hey man I just posted a follow up it's just a mix my folks have run for about 40 years. I know when Paw mixed in the old days he may not have had Av fuel, but we do now. These saws are all O model Stihls and 3 series Huskey's and some 2 series. It don't matter I run it in my old show off saws too, we got about 20 of them now. I've never broke a ring scored a piston or had any engine related problems from it either.

We have about 40 saws and only 2 were bought new. A 359 and 350 Huskey. We do not run a single stock saw. All have had at least a muffler mod and some are ported. All but my old 084. With this being said they run cooler with this mix they run cleaner and they start right up. I don't drain fuel it stays in them all the time in case of blow downs or storm damage. Most all will start 4 pulls cold, 2 hot, in the winter or summer. Now know that I tinker and tune these saws every week or when they slow down or poot cross ways. They go to the truck for retuning. I don't know what else to say it just works for us. I'm done The End.

I would bet that possums pistons and cylinders are clean as a new plate.:givebeer:

You are right my friend folks don't believe it but it's true. Sometimes it creeps me out to look in there with a light, cause I see my ugly mug in there LOL !!!! Ya'll saw safe.

Around here we have sign on the pump saying up to 10% ethanol and that seems to be fine in all cars. The E85 which is only 5% more you have to have a special car that is designed to run on the stuff. I think because of the fuel lines are different. How does that 5% make that much difference or does it? Thanks.

Around here we have sign on the pump saying up to 10% ethanol and that seems to be fine in all cars. The E85 which is only 5% more you have to have a special car that is designed to run on the stuff. I think because of the fuel lines are different. How does that 5% make that much difference or does it? Thanks.

No E85 is 75% more thats why you need a car designed to run it

Look at post 19

That's just the way we've always mixed. We have an 028wb that's 34 years old and this summer I tore it down to look around. It Stihl looked new inside, I went ahead and put a $12 pair of rings in it and it runs like new again. When you get that kind of service out of it why change the mix. It came from my sawmillng Gran paw.

I don't know if it is the 100Av fuel or the diesel or the combination of it all but like I said it's worked for us so far. We run the crap out of these saws they don't sit in the shed like alot of um do, so go figure. This is all that we run in all of the saws we have right now. We run 18 work saws and have a back up stable so if one by chance goes down. The only thing we've had to happen in a long time, we had four oilers to go out in one week. This was not from the mix we run, it's the time we run um. Okay I'm done I'll shut up and move on. The End

Hey if it works, run it, and you obviously have. Thanks for the answer!

blitz, have you tested it or that's just what is advertised on the pumps?

Thats whats advertised. I have not tested it. It could certainly be BS I am sure. I would just assume that anything involving the government is BS.

Also: I should have done my homework on the E85, but thats not really the issue anyway.

well diesel dosnt really have a lower octain rating, but that is because it is not mesured, diesel is measured with a cetain rating scale, wich is mostly inverse of a octain rating, but the difference is that they are rating fuel on how well it will ignite under compression, not spark, essentiall it would have the effect of lowering the octain rating of the fuel. there is a substantial lubricative quality to diesel that might do some good, but i would guess some of the newer saws with higher compression would ping on it, that said if it was mixed into a fuel with a higher octain to begin with you might be ok. if your saw is building enough carbon to become an issue than you need to learn to tune your saw, or better mix your gas.

All clear in my head now!

Go back and reread that post I fixed it I think. I do know to put in the mix oil. It works for me.

Thanks. SP. it's all clear now, like your engines!

I may just have to buy some AV100LL.. I do work at an airport, should be easy.

I put 1 liter of diesel+1liter of DextronIII every second or third tank in my toyota truck and it ran til 473000km. I need to replace a head gasket and she'll run another 127000km for sure!

I've read that lots of injector cleaners are diesel and ATF. seems the detergents and lubes in them are great for engines.

Presumably if there is indeed 40% ethanol in the gas then the diesel serves the purpose of reducing the octane of the gas, in a beneficial sense. Ethanol has higher octane than normal gasoline (I believe greater than 100 in almost all cases), so a significant portionof ethanol in gasoline would lead to a very high octane. it would also lead to a lower heat content, as ethanol has less heat content per volume than standard gasoline. Ethanol actually serves to increase the octane rating of the blend that you're buying. The gas in and of itself may very well be less than the posted rating. However, given the relatively small quantity of ethanol in the pump gas it is not clear that refiners/blenders can depend very closely on its contribution.

I find it VERY hard to believe that there's 40% at any pump. 40% would cause operating problems in many, if not all, automobiles (except E85 flex fuel of course).

I have read that the ethanol is splash blended onto the trucks and thus is not thoroughly mixed with the gasoline sometimes. This results in different concentrations of ethanol. Mathmateically there should be 10% ethanol, say, but it is possible with uneven mixing to have 20% in half the gas and say 5% or whatever in the other portion.

I would certainly like to see the service bulletin.

Part of me actually hopes that the lobby will push for 15 or 20% ethanol blends (and succeed) because they're saying that if that does happen there will also have to be separate pumps available with much lower contents for older cars and engines which cannot tolerate it. I will run this in all of my cars/engines,etc.

Quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of worrying about fuel separation and expiration. I'd be willing to pay $6 or $8/gallon for a bottled premix that would last without worry. Idling saws out of gas, worry about mix dates, worrying about octane, etc, etc, is a just a huge PITA at the end of the day. If you're a logger and you mix 5 gallons and get through it in a week, fine, it's not a concern for you, but for an end user, this really sucks.

I run 100LL from the self serve pump at the local airport. It works great. I won't use anything else, because sometimes a pole saw or chainsaw will sit for months and not get used and I don't want to have to mess with the carberator or fuel lines that get cracked and screwed up.

I never drain them and they all start super easy.

Sam

The EPA has really ruined diesels in this country.
I know why someone would put diesel fuel in with there 2cycle mix?

and for no benefit but poorer fuel economy and more engine and pump and injector overhauls.

funking up my mix with pump-grade diesel--no zero NO way. (although on second thought and edit-it's probably much less destructive on the crudely simple 2-stroke system than it is in compression ignition applications.)

now, if i started with high-octane aviation gas and had some 100% bio to blend in...and it was summertime.

or not.

Last edited:
These days the only difference in off road and highway diesel is red dye. Only ultra-low sulfur diesel is available. The sulfur has lubricating properties, which is why injector pump problems occur more frequently now.

Diesel should raise the octane level of gas. Think about it, gas usually has a compression ratio around 9:1 and diesels around 50:1. Octane rating refers to carbon chains of 8 molecules, thus being more stable under compression. Diesel molecules run from 8 to 21 carbon atoms in chains. Octane is not a measure of power, it is a stability rating. Power is measured in btu's. Diesel has a higher btu, but is more difficult to ignite, so that could be the cause of pinging.

That said, mixing diesel in gas and running in modern clean exhaust engines (cars) is bad news for the emission systems. Putting some gas in diesel engines generally isn't a problem.

Last edited:
no sorry you are wrong, diesel is a fuel with what would be a low octain rating, really it is a high cetain rating but that is the gist of it, diesel is designed to ignite due to compression, there fore it is much less resistant to detonation than gasoline is. please dont give people here incorrect info even if you are trying to help.

Back