adivce on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phendyr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks,
new to the forum, I guess there's a forum for everything under the sun huh? :)

anyway, I'm looking for some feedback on a new chainsaw. my experience with saws is just from using my dad's old stihl that has been to hell and back but is still going strong. I never used it much, so by no means an expert, but have handled it some 'in the field'.

I recently purchased a lot of land, just 2 acres, and plan on clearing out a lot of the junk trees, and cleaning up the lot. I'd say some of the trees that will be taken down are up to 18" but nothing bigger than that. after the lot work is done, it'll be used for occasional firewood.

thanks for your time to reply with your feedback, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, Phendyr.

Try this link - http://www.stihlusa.com/productselector/saw_selector.html - it may help with your decision provided you plan on buying a Stihl.

You may also want to do a search here, we've argued about what saw somebody needs a lot of times. :)

If you only plan on cleaning off 2 acres, and then the saw will go up on a shelf somewhere, you might just want to use your dad's saw for a while.

BTW, you mentioned 18 inch trees. I've learned they are usually bigger than I thought they were before I walked up to cut one down. Spend some time reading about proper (and safe) felling techniques, and at least get some basic PPE (hard hat, chaps, gloves, and steel toe boots).

Be safe, and let us know what you decide to do.

Welcome to the site, Phendyr.

if you only plan on cleaning off 2 acres, and then the saw will go up on a shelf somewhere, you might just want to use your dad's saw for a while.

BTW, you mentioned 18 inch trees. I've learned they are usually bigger than I thought they were before I walked up to cut one down. Spend some time reading about proper (and safe) felling techniques, and at least get some basic PPE (hard hat, chaps, gloves, and steel toe boots).

Be safe, and let us know what you decide to do.

thanks for the feedback so far everyone....what, you mean I can't cut trees in a t-shirt, kahki shorts & sandals? :laugh: yes, protective gear will be used ;) If I do purchase a saw, it definitely won't be put up on a shelf, there's plenty of work to be done for hunting lanes, and food patches :)

also, what are some ballpark price ranges for all ya'lls recommended saw/accesories?

Last edited:
How much do you have to spend and how big/strong are you? Will you be felling or hiring that out?

thanks for the feedback so far everyone....what, you mean I can't cut trees in a t-shirt, kahki shorts & sandals? :laugh: yes, protective gear will be used ;) If I do purchase a saw, it definitely won't be put up on a shelf, there's plenty of work to be done for hunting lanes, and food patches :)

Ah! You'll be using it for deer hunting as well. Then get a MS 270 or MS 280 (same weight, the 280 is a little stronger and cost more). That will fix you up, but you may find you want a lighter saw for cutting the shooting lanes. The MS 180 will fill that bill, unless you want a pro quality small saw in which case look at the MS 200 rear handle. After that, you'll discover you need a pole saw for the higher up limbs, I'd say go with at least the HT 101 so you will have plenty of shaft length. See what a slippery slope you are on? :) :) :)

Don't worry about it, there are plenty of people here on AS that have the same addiction.

phendyr, how much money are you looking to spend? If you don't mind spending up to $600 look at a Stihl MS360, Husky 357XP or Jonsered 2156. Don't get caught up in the MINISCULE difference in specs between these three saws that some are going to get into. Go handle all three of them and buy the one that feels the best to you and you'll have a saw that will probably last you the rest of your life if you take care of it! ;)

How much do you have to spend and how big/strong are you? Will you be felling or hiring that out?

I'm 6' 185lbs, I'm not Vin Deisel but I'm not screech from saved by the bell either :) I would be doing the work, not hiring it out. as far as budget, I don't really know, I have the means to save up for something of quality, rather than having to get something of less quality, because I can't afford to.

Like Norm Abram says- buying a cheap tool will end up costing you more in the long run, and the same is true with saws. Sounds like the Dolmar P-5100S is one of the most versatile small saws out there, although I've never run one. If I had to go for one saw to do a lot of jobs, for me it would be the Stihl MS-361.

I love my Stihl MS361 and think you would too...

However, even though my signature at the bottom shows orange/white, I really have a lot of respect for most any saw. My dad runs 5 older Homelites and they are pretty mean saws...

It has been said that the 361 and the new 441 are more like Huskies than their predecessors. I won't comment on that, but if the Huskies are anything like my 361 the 357xp might be a great option. Besides imitation is considered the best compliment! I think it is great that a manufacturer no matter what the make can see something good in a competitor and change their own product to make it better.

The 361 has power in a light weight package and I have no problem slinging it all day long. I would highly recommend it to anyone or any saw from the other manufacturers in the same class for doing what you plan.

What's up with the 362xp? Little heavier than the 361, more power, nice price... hmmm

If I had to go for one saw to do a lot of jobs, for me it would be the Stihl MS-361.

+1

They seem to really hold their value too.

In fact, I think one of our AS members might have just bought one off eBay. I'll give you a hint, he really really really hates ebay :jester:

Ooohhh, I just have to be the first to say it. Get a MS361!
:clap: :clap:

It is the perfect allround saw here, large enough for effective felling and bucking, and light enough for limbing.

The 357xp and 2156 are good alternatives, just slightly heavier - and they have an outboard clutch, which bother some people, but not all. :greenchainsaw:

I'm 6' 185lbs, I'm not Vin Deisel but I'm not screech from saved by the bell either :) I would be doing the work, not hiring it out. as far as budget, I don't really know, I have the means to save up for something of quality, rather than having to get something of less quality, because I can't afford to.

Well said,,,,

The sour taste of that cheap cost remains long after you realize you would have been better off with spending a few more bucks and being happy with a quality product especially when it comes to chainsaws,,,,, there are several good saws on the trading post here that would save you some bucks to get started....... just a thought!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are on the right track!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
Considering the upfront usage followed by occasional usage, the 5100s by Dolmar would be easy on your body, and the checkbook, provided there is a dealer that is a reasonable distance for you. Sharp chains will get the most out of the saw you choose.

A Stihl 361 is also a pleasure to use, more money, but properly cared for will last a lifetime.

Whereabouts in cheddarland are you?

Last edited:
Considering the upfront usage followed by occasional usage, the 5100s by Dolmar would be easy on your body, and the checkbook, provided there is a dealer that is a reasonable distance for you. Sharp chains will get the most out of the saw you choose.

A Stihl 361 is also a pleasure to use, more money, but properly cared for will last a lifetime.

Whereabouts in cheddarland are you?

thanks I'll look into the dolmar, I actually saw a chainsaw dealer with a dolmar sign as I was driving back from lunch....currently I live by all the fun lombardi ave reconstruction we have going on in Titletown :)

Last edited:
Back