Adventures in chainsaw collecting - week ending 20 November, 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was driving across IA, IL, IN, and parts of OH early in the week, up into MI on Thurs/Fri and never had a chance to stop for a look anywhere.

On the way home Friday (after a small problem with my truck) I decided to stop by and see a guy in Wisconsin. He'd called me some weeks back about stopping in a small shop in Nothern IL for a variety of saws, he'd mentioned 47's, D-30, 250's, etc. He called again last weekend and said they'd gone ahead and picked up most of it and he wanted to get some out of his workshop.

I arrived about 6:30 on Friday evening and started in the back of the shop where he had a heated area, right away found a couple of long bars, several NOS parts in bags, three flats of small parts in envelopes, and sorting through a few more boxes. They pulled out one NIB 795 cylinder, two more good used ones, and one unidentified piston (62879). They kept finding more NOS and good used parts for the bigger, older saws and soon we had a good pile going.

I wanted to look through some saws as well as I'd noticed a CP55 on top of a pile when I walked through the first time. They also had several Super 33's but none with the front handlebars. There were a couple of Wright GS5020's and two NOS blades. I found one that looked to be a Super 250 (turned out to be a 1-51 with the S250 top cover.

Finally, while digging around I saw a very particular looking handle under the pile and came up with the best find of the day.

First up, the parts I brought home on this trip. The blue hued flywheel covers in the back are from a Target cut off saw based on the 795.

attachment.php

I also picked up this bar display rack and the two longer bars, the big solid nose in 34/36" and the black & yellow one is 32". I already had the 28", 24" solid nose, and 18" bars on hand.

attachment.php

Here are the Wright saws and two new blades. I already have a runner so I will likely keep the best parts from these and may pass one (made up of leftover parts) to my older brother for his collection.

attachment.php

The Super 33's are pretty good looking, I can fit them with left over handle bars from several 35 part saws I have on hand but I would really like to find the original "full wrap" style for at least one of these.

attachment.php

The CP55 just needed fuel & oil and a couple of shots of prime to get it going. Seems to run very well, revs up nicely and idles well. I sharpened the chain and need to find a piece of wood to cut with this one.

attachment.php

The best is yet to come...

Mark

Last edited:
I already mentioned the 1-51 with the Super 250 top cover

attachment.php

And finally, McCulloch BP-1 from the bottom of the pile. Turns over with compression but will need a lot of cleaning & lubrication (starter). I didn't have time to check compression or spark today but all that will come in due course. I think this one will be a runner...I'll post a few more photo's over in the McCulloch thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

well dang it! where's the best? dont keep us waiting:chainsawguy:

procarb m- there were more of that type of rack, I will try to get in touch with them and ask if they will hold another. There were several McCulloch signs as well, maybe I will get one or two of those as well.

Another saw I looked at but didn't pick up since it really doesn't fit my collection, a one man Titan saw. Look at the tag in the second to the last photo - "had it running" dated 2-'95.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

They also have at least one two man McCulloch, and a Wasp among a whole lot of other saws still in the piles. If I get a chance to get back I will try to pay a little more attention to the other saws they have.

Mark

Mark, I don't bleed yellow, but gol damn if I don't always read your posts any time I see them. You have a finely tuned nose. :cheers: :cheers:

procarb m- there were more of that type of rack, I will try to get in touch with them and ask if they will hold another. There were several McCulloch signs as well, maybe I will get one or two of those as well.

Another saw I looked at but didn't pick up since it really doesn't fit my collection, a one man Titan saw. Look at the tag in the second to the last photo - "had it running" dated 2-'95.

They also have at least one two man McCulloch, and a Wasp among a whole lot of other saws still in the piles. If I get a chance to get back I will try to pay a little more attention to the other saws they have.

Mark

Sounds like a plan Mark! Thanks for sharing either way, but would like to have one of those racks, too cool!

I'd thought the Ranger would have had the problem on the way home hauling all the gold back to IA... Sweet saws Mark, good luck making them go. If anybody can, its you.

I can't wait to hear more on the BP-1. I figured that was what you might be leading up to in your 1st post.
Did you already have one or is this your first ?

I can't wait to hear more on the BP-1. I figured that was what you might be leading up to in your 1st post.
Did you already have one or is this your first ?

First one Brian.

Aaron, I'm home this week, want me to send the 550 on it's way?

Thanks guys, I will keep everyone posted on the progress (I hope there is progress to report).

Mark

First one Brian.

Aaron, I'm home this week, want me to send the 550 on it's way?

Thanks guys, I will keep everyone posted on the progress (I hope there is progress to report).

Mark

That'd be great Mark!

I'll get the 77 boxed up this week. Will get it sent out by next Monday.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back