Advertise topping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't but seems like everyone else in the phone book does!
Thing is most of these guys are bringing home the bacon too!
I don't even like heavy reductions but had to do one recently.

When a company advertises topping it's a pretty sure bet they are doing a lot of tree abuse on a day to day basis.

In some cases this is true!! However....many in my area dont know the proper terms/health aspects or right & wrongs.

"topping" has been sold & advertised for many years, I use to advertise "topping" but would inform the people/customer that a crown reduction & pull the ends to laterals 1/3 would be better!!

Try advertising that!! crown reduction....who/what? noone is familiar with this term, I try to talk folks outta doing any reduction work & focus on healthier remedies, Its a hard market to change!! I know many who "top"..I dont & when I advertised it I used it as a bait & switch....worked good & I informed many people of the rights & wrongs!!

LXT...............

I don't advertise it but people ask me to do it once in a while. I did three maples here a couple months ago because if they fell he didn't want them to hit the house. They were 60' trees 20' from his house:monkey: . I talked him out of going that drastic but it's what he wanted and was happy.

They were 60' trees 20' from his house:monkey: . I talked him out of going that drastic but it's what he wanted and was happy.
So you cut them back to 19'?:clap:

Hey in some markets that baitandswitch strategy sounds effective.

i advertise "alternatives" to topping. Have not topped one tree since i started my own biz, and will keep it that way.

everyone else advertises it tho.... i have tons of material in my portfolio/bidbook that i use to persuade HOs not to top. im sure ive probably lost a job or two for not topping, but so be it.

im also going to start advertising that i dont spike a tree unless its coming down.

i believe that i am one of only two companies here in town that do neither.

Why advertise a bad practice? Don't say anything at all. People will call tree companies and ask "can you top this" or "do you top" ....To which my response is "No, we do not, and here is why" I go into why it is bad practice and offer the alternatives. 9 times out of 10 I can convince them with a few concise sentences. Stop the Madness! Advertise proper pruning! Sell the RIGHT thing.

EEEERRRRRRRRR Topping

I am trying to run my own buss. and alot of people don't know topping is a bad practice, I do not top unless the tree is coming down. Trying to teach the costumer is sometimes hard.

Why advertise a bad practice? Don't say anything at all. People will call tree companies and ask "can you top this" or "do you top" ....To which my response is "No, we do not, and here is why" I go into why it is bad practice and offer the alternatives. 9 times out of 10 I can convince them with a few concise sentences. Stop the Madness! Advertise proper pruning! Sell the RIGHT thing.

WHY? Depending on the geographical area one lives in...some people think "topping", "roundovers", "pollarding"..or what ever one calls it is the same thing.............its all topping according to customers!!

when I advertised topping I got twice the call volume as compared to when I stopped advertising such........therefore I got to meet more people & once in front of em I can show & tell them the right way to do their tree(s)..the personal approach in my area works best...Rather than telling them over the phone..........NO! I dont do that!! first rule of salesmanship is to never say NO!! let them know I can come out & look at it, we can discuss options that might be more suitable for your circumstance!

This method worked for me!! & being extremely thankful....work right now is very good!! Thank God!!!!

LXT..........

I have never had anyone turn down my offer to come and look at the job, even if I get into the subject of why not to top. I come out, offer an opinion on the right thing to do for their tree(S), and explain, sometimes demonstrate, with material to back it up, why not to top. It seems to work for me. I'm not saying NO to a sale, just to a practice. I believe in being very forward and to the point.

Topping is an orchard technique that found its way into urban arborculture.

There are so many things wrong with this practice and in my opinion, shoule NOT be practiced!!!

Most folks call us up and tell us what they want done. I try to find out what the customers concerns are and given the condition of the tree, offer options.

We (most of us) know what a tree requires by looking at it. A customer dosn't so its up to us to educate them so they can make an informed decission for the proper health of their tree(s).

My .02 .

HC

advertising topping is like a car mechanic advertising pouring sugar in your gas tank or a plumber pouring wet cement down your drain. Let's move out of the stone age already.

Around me there is Top and Chop Tree Service, as well as Monkey Men. Both outfits are pros at flush cuts and horrid pruning.

Latest posts

Back