Advice, for ISA tests..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondackhick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Wanted to do this before, but didn't work enough, now I do. I want to be prof. about things and am looking into the ISA Cert. Arb test, as well as the worker/climber test. The pract. app's won't be a problem, just wondering on the study guides etc. I get nervous on prepping for tests.. Does the ISA cert arb study guide, climber/worker guide prepare you for the test ( I hope they do at the price..), or do I need to spend a fortune on other material?
My working knowledge (hands on) is enough to pass pract app for sure, but the scientific part (scienctific names, soils, insects etc, I'm a bit behind.) So, do the guides work?
Thanks in advance.. Probably be a bit before I get back on, so if I don't answer right away, I'm not ignorin' ya.
Adirondackhick

get the ID list for your area

Hey all,
Wanted to do this before, but didn't work enough, now I do. I want to be prof. about things and am looking into the ISA Cert. Arb test, as well as the worker/climber test. The pract. app's won't be a problem, just wondering on the study guides etc. I get nervous on prepping for tests.. Does the ISA cert arb study guide, climber/worker guide prepare you for the test ( I hope they do at the price..), or do I need to spend a fortune on other material?
My working knowledge (hands on) is enough to pass pract app for sure, but the scientific part (scienctific names, soils, insects etc, I'm a bit behind.) So, do the guides work?
Thanks in advance.. Probably be a bit before I get back on, so if I don't answer right away, I'm not ignorin' ya.
Adirondackhick

You're going to have to ID some trees that grow in your area, so get the list they are using and get your identification down pat if its not already.

thanks

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I am actually planning on contacting some people today for a regional/area list. I am assuming that it would be a new england / east coast type deal. Most trees I can ID by name i.e. hickory, oak red/white/pin.. or red/white pine etc. But, ashamed to admit, no clue on the science names. Hopefully the regional list will have the "smart" names :yoyo:.
Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. I'll shoot another line when the materails come in. Probably end up a christmas gift from the wife..
Adirondackhick

you should get Dirr's

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I am actually planning on contacting some people today for a regional/area list. I am assuming that it would be a new england / east coast type deal. Most trees I can ID by name i.e. hickory, oak red/white/pin.. or red/white pine etc. But, ashamed to admit, no clue on the science names. Hopefully the regional list will have the "smart" names :yoyo:.
Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. I'll shoot another line when the materails come in. Probably end up a christmas gift from the wife..
Adirondackhick

Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants -- $70 on amazon is the max you should pay, maybe you'll get it for less -- anyway, it has all the Latin names (botanical nomenclature) drawings of the leaves, bud shape & size, leaf characteristics, flower types, landscape value, mature height and spread, major disease and pest problems etc etc etc. Great resource for ID and pretty much everything else.

Is the tree ID part of the test only on trees in your region?

I thought it was on "all trees"...

#2 tip:

Wear an expensive wristwatch. Nothing cheaper than a Breitling Navitimer.

LMAO on the checkbook comment.
If that was true, I would be truly screwed, as my daughter and son have more cash flow than I do!!:dizzy:
I think the trees on the test to answer the other question are from your region. But, I'm not sure. When I take it in 12' if I don't do well, you'll have ringing ears and hear me cussing from way off.
Later

Thanks for the replies.
Adirondackhick

Don't sweat the scientific names. I beat myself up memorizing them all only to realize it wasn't necessary. I'm glad I did in the long run, but I didn't need to know them for the test. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back