Advice On a Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I purchased my first chainsaw 2 years ago, a Shindaiwa 352s, 35 cc model. I've enjoyed the saw a lot but found it a bit underpowered. So, I would like to move up to something a bit bigger. The models I'm looking at and their prices in Canadian dollars are:

1. Husqvarna 445 ($428)
2. Husqvarna 450e ($499)
3. Husqvarna 351 ($589)
4. Stihl MS261 ($599)
5. Husqvarna 55 rancher ($449).

The higher end models (261 and 351) might be overkill for me as I don't cut that much but on the other hand, they're not that much more expensive than a higher end homeowner model.

Any advice as to what would be alright for me?

Thanks, in advance, for all responses.

I can't help you with the Husky's but I've cut quite a bit of wood with the Shindaiwa 500 and
488. I know you didn't ask, but a Shindaiwa 490 might work for you. Personally, whatever I decided on, I would try to hold on to the 352 for trimming and such.

I bought some smaller saws thinking I'd probably never use them, but they sure are lighter and real handy on things they can handle.

Good luck with your purchase, the Husky and Stihl boys should be along shortly.:msp_thumbup:

Alderman

if it were me i would go the 351 route. i have a 350 and it is an awesome saw! or a 353. the 450 is a nice saw as well.

They still make the Husky 351 for Canada???? I don't think so, but I could be wrong...

Stopped here like 8-10 years ago.

I just bought a nice used one for $160. Basically the same saw as the 353.

The 261 would be the most powerful. The 55 rancher is a good saw no longer available in the US, but price wise it looks like a good choice. The 450, 351,and 55 would be close in power. The 351 and 55 are built similar to the better husky saws. If you like your shindaiwa saw, you would probably like the 490 shindaiwa or cs500 echo which is based on a shindaiwa I believe. Good luck with your choice.

MS261 is a damn nice saw. I considered both that and the 346 XP, and finally decided to go with a used ported 346 which is still cheaper than a new 261. But I've no doubt I'd be satisfied with a 261.

Since you've already got a smaller saw, I'd go with the 261. It's got superior air filtration and antivibe, great power, and it's built like a tank. I really like the feel of it in my hands, although that of course depends on the user.

I have a Husqvarna 445, and personally I'd stay away from the 445/450 unless you're cutting softwood or hardwood 12" or less. They're nice saws, great saws for the money, at least in the US, but they're not designed for heavy firewood duty.

Last edited:
If you can actually get the Stihl MS 261 for $599 Canadian...($560 U.S. dollars)
That's the one I would buy...
Pro grade saw...and holds value super well...cuz it's a Stihl..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I can't help you with the Husky's but I've cut quite a bit of wood with the Shindaiwa 500 and
488. I know you didn't ask, but a Shindaiwa 490 might work for you. Personally, whatever I decided on, I would try to hold on to the 352 for trimming and such.

I bought some smaller saws thinking I'd probably never use them, but they sure are lighter and real handy on things they can handle.

Good luck with your purchase, the Husky and Stihl boys should be along shortly.:msp_thumbup:

Alderman

Thanks for the advice. I did make an error in my original post. It should have been the Husky 353 saw not the 351. My bad.

Anyhow, I never thought of looking for a higher powered Shindaiwa saw. I've really loved my 352. What's the 490 like? Is it the next one in their lineup?

Thanks for the advice. I did make an error in my original post. It should have been the Husky 353 saw not the 351. My bad.

Anyhow, I never thought of looking for a higher powered Shindaiwa saw. I've really loved my 352. What's the 490 like? Is it the next one in their lineup?

Not sure if anyone else suggested this, I didn't see it in the few replies I read, but would you consider a used saw?

For similar money you could get a pro level used saw, if you're not in any hurry to buy and check places like Craigslist regularly.

I found a 357xp this way a few years ago, and its served me well. That or a 372xp would get you more power than any of the saws you listed. Also look for a Stihl 360/361.

From the prices I see, I would go with the Stihl MS261. Thats a pro saw, and a damn nice one at that......

If you have found a dealer that has a New 55 Rancher for $449..........buy it..............me thinks your thinging of the 455. Its a great saw, just not set up the way it should be in our market (go with .325 on anything more than 16"). Its a great saw and great value for the money. The 445 is a hard sell as the 435 is so much cheaper and is only 5cc different. The 450 is not very popular as its price point in way out in left field and for a lil mor or a lil less one get more saw.

Although the 353 or 2152 is my favourite saw, you'd be much better off with a 455.

I've really loved my 352. What's the 490 like? Is it the next one in their lineup?

The 490 is basically a 488 with a different cover. On my 488's I prefer an 18" .325 set up, although I'll run 20" on occasion. Also if you can find a good running used 500 you might consider that. I've been getting them for $100-$150 and enjoy using them. Just an older version of Shindaiwa saw but they are built like a tank, and very simple to work on.

OK, I will give the obligatory Husky 346xp plug since only one person has mentioned it as a used option so far. I have one and love it, lots more power and speed than my previous saw in the 50cc class (J-red 2050). I haven't had as much experience as other guys here so I can't give a first hand comparison to many other saws but I am really impressed with my 346. I got mine for $480 USD last spring which seems in your budget if it's about the same up your way.

I do think a good used saw is an excellent option or a Dolmar 510 or 5100, 5105 depending on what is available in your area and what the prices look like. I have heard that the Husky 353 is very similar to the 346xp but a little less performance built and not quite the screamer the 346 is but quite a bit cheaper and still a fine saw for the money. It's on your list but at $589? I thought the exchange rate was about even right now. Is a 353 really that much up there? If so I would think the 346 is going to be way out of line and the MS261 would be the best saw for the money. The 261 is $560 USD or so around here.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to take a look at the Shindaiwa saws this week and Husqvarna.

I got a chance to look at the Stihl MS261 today. It looks great but it felt heavier than the Husqvarna 445 I felt at Lowes.

I got a chance to look at the Stihl MS261 today. It looks great but it felt heavier than the Husqvarna 445 I felt at Lowes.

There's a good reason for that -- the 445 is a lighter-duty homeowner saw, smaller, and about 1HP less power. The Stihl 250 would be a more direct comparison to the Husky 445. Though, I wouldn't recommend either saw in your case.

A more direct competitor to the 261 would be the Husky 346. Or look at the Echo CS-500P, which is a Shindaiwa saw.

If weight is an issue for you, forget the MS261, the 346 XP is only a few ounces more than the 445. I didn't say "better" because I haven't run an MS261, and based on reviews here it is slightly better for bucking than the 346 XP.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to take a look at the Shindaiwa saws this week and Husqvarna.

I know price is an issue for most of us but try to go to a good dealer instead of Lowes or Home Depot, etc. even if it means paying a few extra bucks. You will get a saw that is set up for you and tested, not one in a box with no prep. You will also get support should something go wrong, not some zit-faced teenager who will look at you like you have 12 heads if you try and get help from them, plus you will be helping a small local business instead of a corporate giant who couldn't care less about you. I shop at the box stores too sometimes, it can't be helped but I avoid it if I can.

Husqy 351 isn't available, check it on the official Husqvarnas site...there is only 353 and 353G. 353 i quite good saw, so you can buy one :)
But better saw will be 346xp such small devil :D In my opinion the best of all this saws will be MS261, think about this Stihl.

Latest posts

Back