Advice on saw for TSI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like your new saw. Nice to see the update. Don't know anything about the muffler on those, but Any modifications Might void your warranty, depending on the Dealer.

Update. I completed 20 acres of TSI with the echo 361p. Cutting everything from 1" saplings to 6" beech trees. The saw is fantastic. It took a lot of abuse and cuts great. The only negative is that the chain gets thrown easily. I have to keep it real tight to reduce it from coming off. Why is that?

Been there, done that. I use a clearing saw/brush cutter. Sitting in the harness it is no problem because the weight is balanced across your body. You Will also appreciate a small chainsaw.

Update. I completed 20 acres of TSI with the echo 361p. Cutting everything from 1" saplings to 6" beech trees. The saw is fantastic. It took a lot of abuse and cuts great. The only negative is that the chain gets thrown easily. I have to keep it real tight to reduce it from coming off. Why is that?
If you are cutting small trees/brush/limbs often you need to keep a closer eye on chain tension. Maybe stop every half tank to tighten the chain instead of every tank.

If you are cutting small trees/brush/limbs often you need to keep a closer eye on chain tension. Maybe stop every half tank to tighten the chain instead of every tank.
Also it is so easy to hit/ use the side of the chain Get off an odd angle. This can derail a chain pretty fast as well.

Every time you throw a chain you can do damage to the drive links which will make it happen more frequently.

I recently got an Echo 352 that I am using for brush clearing. I've thrown the stock chain twice and there's now a couple tight links in it. I replaced it with an Oregon chain that's staying much sharper. The 352 is nice for brush work- light, powerful enough, starts easy. The only drawback is that the air box sucks in dirt and the filter lets fine dust into the carb. I'm going to make a foam outer filter for it. The 361p looks like a really nice saw and probably has a better airbox design.

Back in the '80s I worked for the USFS as a firefighter and spent a good part of each season on TSI. We used bow bars with guards on the top and bottom runs and a stinger bolted on where the bottom run curved up. The stinger kept the bar from kicking back as you cut with the nose. The bar was good for cutting a lot of small trees in a day as you didn't have to bend over.

I recently got an Echo 352 that I am using for brush clearing. I've thrown the stock chain twice and there's now a couple tight links in it. I replaced it with an Oregon chain that's staying much sharper. The 352 is nice for brush work- light, powerful enough, starts easy. The only drawback is that the air box sucks in dirt and the filter lets fine dust into the carb. I'm going to make a foam outer filter for it. The 361p looks like a really nice saw and probably has a better airbox design.

Back in the '80s I worked for the USFS as a firefighter and spent a good part of each season on TSI. We used bow bars with guards on the top and bottom runs and a stinger bolted on where the bottom run curved up. The stinger kept the bar from kicking back as you cut with the nose. The bar was good for cutting a lot of small trees in a day as you didn't have to bend over.
That 352 will cut much better if you open the muffler and remove the cat along with a proper tune.

That was it. I inspected the drive links and quite a few were damaged causing the chain to throw more frequently. I put on a new chain and will ensure it will stay tight.
Careful about over tightening, be sure to back it off when done for the day, the chain can shrink when it cools possibly over loading the clutch side bearing.:cool:

Back