Advice on Stihl MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedy304

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to a larger saw. Currently have two Stihls an 024, 026, Homelite Big Red Super XL. Prefer to stay with Stihl as the dealer support in my area is strong and others are few & far between. I'm looking at the Stihl MS361. The local dealer has one where a customer purchased it from him and customer used it to cut one tree trunk and stated it wasnt large enough and was taking too long to cut what he wanted & returned the next day to exchange it for an MS460. Saw has been used a few minutes. Looks brand new; dealer had'nt even cleaned it up yet. It has a 20" Rollomatic E bar. Dealer stated he would clean it up and resale it for $489 with a factory one year warranty. Is this a good deal, maybe have him throw in some extras?

Lawn Masters said:
For that price, with warranty, grab it before someone else does.

If it suits you're needs, that X2, can't hardley get an ms390 for that price!!!
Andy

Interestingly enough, I did the opposite. I traded in my 460 for a 361 two days ago. As a 5-6 cord a year firewood guy, the 460 was more than I needed. And after trying out a 361, I pulled the trigger on a new one with a 24" bar and several loops of RSC. I've yet to take it to the woods.

litefoot said:
Interestingly enough, I did the opposite. I traded in my 460 for a 361 two days ago. As a 5-6 cord a year firewood guy, the 460 was more than I needed. And after trying out a 361, I pulled the trigger on a new one with a 24" bar and several loops of RSC. I've yet to take it to the woods.

Welcome, you are going to like the 361....:rock:

Tell the dealer that you will take the MS 361 dirty if he throws in a spare RSC chain :chainsaw: BUY IT! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

compression ratio

does anyone know if you can do a compression test on a rotary kms4 chainsaw, please let me know soon thanks.

racers71 said:
does anyone know if you can do a compression test on a rotary kms4 chainsaw, please let me know soon thanks.
Your in the wrong thread dude :deadhorse: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Talon

pitkas said:
Can you really trade in your old Stihl for a new one? I have a 036 that I would like to trade in for a 361.

Depends on the dealer, some yes, some no, most of the time now you have better luck on evilbay.
Andy

pitkas said:
Can you really trade in your old Stihl for a new one? I have a 036 that I would like to trade in for a 361.
Sure :rockn: Or you can sell it on Ebay and then take your money to your nearest Stihl dealer and buy this higher quality MS 361 saw :popcorn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

pitkas said:
In my case I traded the 460 with about 2 hours on it straight across for a 361. But I only paid 699.00 for the 460 (which included 25" bar, 3 chains, a saw case, a six-pack of 2-stroke oil and a gallon of bar oil). So I really didn't lose much, but I would have been better off selling the 460.

BTW, it's probably for sale at Western Implement, Grand Junction, CO if anyone is interested. I'm guessing $600-700 range.

pitkas said:

Depends on the dealer. I don't see why any dealer would not horse trade.
Mine did when I asked if he was alright with the deal. He Said. " I will still be open for the winter".

Back