Afraid of Heights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look at the bright side if you do slip and fall you have time to call your love ones and say good bye on the way down.
ya your mom your dad your wife each of your kids, your friends from highschool your highschool girlfriend, and your local radio station to make a request lol, highway to hell maybe lol

My wife overheard me commenting as I watched the video. I told her what was going on, so she says " Oh; I want to see it!" So, I start if for her. A minute or so into the show she says: "I'm sweating." Then she says he's got 60 more feet to go, I can't watch any more.
Wonder how many times a guy goes up there before he quits, and they have to hire another?

My wife overheard me commenting as I watched the video. I told her what was going on, so she says " Oh; I want to see it!" So, I start if for her. A minute or so into the show she says: "I'm sweating." Then she says he's got 60 more feet to go, I can't watch any more.
Wonder how many times a guy goes up there before he quits, and they have to hire another?

I've heard the pay is on a graduating scale, the higher you climb the higher the pay. Anybody have an idea?

ive allways worked in high places and have always been scared of heights. lots of guys have made fun of me for it but alot of them same guys wouldnt go work where ive worked so...

Wow...not for a million dollars. He's just the tech, imagine the poor buggers building that thing! Made my stomach flip and my screen is only 2x4 inches.

For a million bucks I'd be tempted.

I'd be hooked into a couple of ladder hooks though, clip clip, step step step, clip clip, step step step....

ive allways worked in high places and have always been scared of heights. lots of guys have made fun of me for it but alot of them same guys wouldnt go work where ive worked so...

Takes more##lls to be scared and still do it then not scared and do it! Imo

I don't understand why the would not incorporate a pole with a special progress capture device. All it would take is something slightly larger than the pole used so that if you fell it would angle and catch on the pole. Climbing would not be slowed at all.

I don't understand why the would not incorporate a pole with a special progress capture device. All it would take is something slightly larger than the pole used so that if you fell it would angle and catch on the pole. Climbing would not be slowed at all.

Yep, a cable would work real well.

It must be a Verizon tower.

My dad was trying to get our cat out of a tree when I was little and the cat got scared and jumped and he fell off the ladder! Haha I've been scared of ladders ever since

I always say.

Everyone is afraid of heights

Those who say the arent are either
Liars
Insane
or havent met the right type of heights yet.
:agree2:

I do some high angle rescue instructing. We have a 50' indoor training tower and it's interesting to see the look in some newbies eyes the first time they go over the top edge. Eventually they get comfortable with it once they trust the system/gear and have done it numerous times. Some even start to get cocky but take them to the edge of a 300' building and you see that same look again.:laugh:

I posted this pic earlier. Even this rappel gave me that "look" in MY eyes.
1000'
Each catwalk is 100' apart.

No Fear? Fear is what keeps me safe.

137932d1274475632-tower-jpg

Last edited:
yep ive had to work in places like that. i dont care for heights. but i do my job and get gone quikly and carfully,

Think I would have a prrachute if I was climbing those towers, better yet I won't climb those, there is a 1100 ft uhf tower out west of town and my ex father inlaw is the out put engeineer for cox and he said a guy changing the lights out slipped in the simi circle inclosed ladder and fell hitting rungs for over 600ft he was dead when they lowered him down, not for me, I got quizze just looking up from base of that, thing moves around 8-10 feet and the guys slapping, my comfort level is maxed at 120ft and less if over concrete, would probably get used to higher but here a tall tree is 80 and most are 45-60 ft.
Paul

2000ft Antenna BASE jump - YouTube

Think I would have a prrachute if I was climbing those towers, better yet I won't climb those, there is a 1100 ft uhf tower out west of town and my ex father inlaw is the out put engeineer for cox and he said a guy changing the lights out slipped in the simi circle inclosed ladder and fell hitting rungs for over 600ft he was dead when they lowered him down, not for me, I got quizze just looking up from base of that, thing moves around 8-10 feet and the guys slapping, my comfort level is maxed at 120ft and less if over concrete, would probably get used to higher but here a tall tree is 80 and most are 45-60 ft.
Paul

2000ft Antenna BASE jump - YouTube

That would definitely qualify as a B.A.S.E. jump. I guess the only reason those guys don't wear a parachute is the fact that B.A.S.E. jumping is illegal.

I always thought those enclosed ladders were designed to stop you from falling. Maybe they're just designed to stop you from falling too far from the job site.

All the same I guess, 15' can kill you just as dead as 1500'.

There you go again Clueless. BASE jumping itself is NOT illegal in the US. It is done every year from a bridge in WV.
Are you ever going to check your facts before typing ?
Rick

Last edited:
FYI: BASE is an acronym! stands for Building, Antenna, Span (Bridge), and Earth (Cliff) and the successful completion of a parachute jump from each.

Technically, BASE jumping is not illegal. Usually a trespass charge, if caught, is laid.

BASE jumping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A friend that does some climbing for me used to BASE jump. His BASE # in Canada is quite low (one of first to attain all four). In his younger years he did some work as a professional parachuter. Interesting guy to talk to. Goes down to the New River Gorge for bridge day every year to rappel. Got wiser in his years.... Doesn't base jump anymore.

Official Bridge Day 2012 Information | Bridge Day October 20th 2012

There you go again Clueless. BASE jumping itself is NOT illegal in the US. It is done every year from a bridge in WV.
Are you ever going to check your facts before typing ?
Rick

O.K. Mr. KnowItAll, let's see you go jump off the Empire State building without getting arrested.

I've been to Bridge Day, yeah they jump off of the New River Gorge Bridge, but you have to get a permit to do it, and sign a waiver. :blob2:

O.K. Mr. KnowItAll, let's see you go jump off the Empire State building without getting arrested.

I've been to Bridge Day, yeah they jump off of the New River Gorge Bridge, but you have to get a permit to do it, and sign a waiver. :blob2:

me and my wife are going to try the zip line there this summer, shes from WV originaly. ive ziped before didnt do much for me, spending my days much higher than the lines we were on. the only time i get skiddish in trees is when im ascending way out from the trunk and i get up 30 40 feet i start questioning my rope and the crotch im in and everything else, its just a mind thing if i were near the trunk or around branches i wouldnt even think about it

Back