Aftermarket Hop Ups for Log Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a few questions for you guys. If you have a regular 27 ton lowes splitter with a honda, briggs, etc. engine on it. Can you increase the cycle time on it with a different pump? Say from a 16 sec. cycle time to 6-8sec. cycle time. If so how? Who has the parts and how much?

My thoughts are to buy a regular used vert-horizontal splitter and take it completely apart and build something like the timber devil log splitter. With a table and verticle split. I would also put a log lift on the left side of it.. I can use the frame from the splitter and build off of it. Getting material, fabricating, and welding are a non issue for me as metal working is my job.

TIA

Like the Commercial single vertical #2 listed on this web page: http://www.timberdevil.com/products.html

Last edited:
You "could" do it but I don't think there'll much left of the orginal splitter left. Might just as well start from scratch.

Here a link to set of calulators that will tell you all you need to know about the hydraulic requirements. Just plug in numbers til you get where you want to go, then start pricing components...probably cheaper to by the Timber Devil if that what you want...

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

Good Luck

You "could" do it but I don't think there'll much left of the orginal splitter left. Might just as well start from scratch.

Here a link to set of calulators that will tell you all you need to know about the hydraulic requirements. Just plug in numbers til you get where you want to go, then start pricing components...probably cheaper to by the Timber Devil if that what you want...

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

Good Luck

UGH. Have you priced that model? $7000+ to your door from the NY distributor! I think I can build roughly 3 of them for that price. LOL

No I haven't priced them. Just went to there web site. Not sure how their getting the tonnage and cycle time out of that small a HP engine. Don't know what a drive multiplier producer is ?? According to calulator I linked it should require lots more GPM the their indicated motor could support.

Maybe some of the more knowing can chime in here...

No I haven't priced them. Just went to there web site. Not sure how their getting the tonnage and cycle time out of that small a HP engine. Don't know what a drive multiplier producer is ?? According to calulator I linked it should require lots more GPM the their indicated motor could support.

Maybe some of the more knowing can chime in here...

Dunno??? Have you seen the videos of them working? Very fast! And I like that you can keep the log on the table. Never have to let the other half of the log fall on the ground. You can split and keep rotating the wood, when it's all split you can toss the wood on a conveyor or trailer.

Dunno??? Have you seen the videos of them working? Very fast! And I like that you can keep the log on the table. Never have to let the other half of the log fall on the ground. You can split and keep rotating the wood, when it's all split you can toss the wood on a conveyor or trailer.

===

unless you have a crew of 3 or 4 I can't see how that speed would be of any great advantage.

Course your probably a LOT younger the I am...you young guys are all way in a rush...with luck you'll out grow that...

Have a link to video's

Last edited:
The cylinders shown in the pictures look awful small to be generating the kind of tonnage that they advertise,although im no hydralic expert.

Upgrade pump if you have enough hp, or same pump but increase line size to 3/4" which also means replacing the valve with one having 3/4" ports. Cylinder should be modified to 3/4" also, cost is a factor here v/s pump replacement. Either way accomplishes more flow hence more speed. just some random thoughts

I have built versions of the TmberDevil/Powersplit and have found the biggest advantage is that you can build a splitter with all the bells and whistles ; log lift ,log table ,and comfort height ; for the same price or less than the price of the same tonnage as average consumer splitter without the b + w's.

I have looked at a Powersplit 2-station self propelled with conveyor splitter at a local firewood dealer to try and figure out the power multiplier but I had no success. It is covered by a sort of bell housing and the fellow I talked to did not know how it worked.

The next design I'm going try is a version of the Superaxe WS 150.

http://www.superaxe.com.au/whitlands-ws-150.html

Sorry. That website doesn't have vids of them working. But this website does. It's a different brand, but same technology:
http://www.powersplit.com/video/vid.html

Nice unit but its the same old splitter infomercials showing ideal conditions with more then ideal wood. And those appear to be 3" cylinders that will work fine in the "hollywood" wood the they are splitting.

I have the Huskee 35 ton from TSC that works pretty awesome as is. However, when doing a very unscientific sideways wood splitting experiment, I bent the foot pretty far. TSC was kind enough to replace the beam for free, and even let me keep the old one. 2 huge chains welded to the foot and a oxyacetylene torch to heat the bend allowed us to pull it back with the cylinder. It probably isnt as strong, but I also came across another 24" x 3.5" cylinder.
Over my Christmas break from college I'm going to get another beam set up so I can have sub 10, and possibly sub 8 second cycle times. Calculations show I drop to 18 tons of force, but that's fine by me. I'll start a new thread with some more pics when I get things going...

Here's an excel file I made for my splitter - it's not that intuitive, but basic equations from my engineering classes aren't that hard to understand.
http://timothykamp.com/arborist/splittertimes.xlsx
**Note this will prompt you to download an excel file. No viruses, I promise**

Back