Again it starts------------:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabulous data, BUT remakable that

B) Bemidji, MN
A) Embarrass, MN

are not included on the first list. Perhaps because the researcher figured these populations were insignificant? That's not uncommon. I have a feeling that residents in these two smaller towns would think that Duluth is rather warm.

Also, Oswego, NY is not included on the snowy list. Seems like an oversight. Folks in Buffalo, NY might also be surprised. I am. :dizzy:

Like I said, I pirated the info... I was surprised that Copper Harbor, MI was not listed. Here is another article I found while looking...
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/2003-10-01-snowiest-cities_x.htm

And just for giggles, top 10 snowiest...

1 Blue Canyon California 240.8
2 Marquette Michigan 128.6
3 Sault Ste. Marie Michigan 116.7
4 Syracuse New York 111.6
5 Caribou Maine 110.4
6 Mount Shata California 104.9
7 Lander Wyoming 102.5
8 Flagstaff Arizona 99.9
9 Sexton Summit Oregon 97.8
10 Muskegon Michigan 97.0

The reason North Dakota isn't on this list is because the wind NEVER stops blowing in the winter. Any snow that hits the ground is immediately blown to South Dakota and therefore can't be measured. Grand Forks is were I learned that it's never too cold to snow, snow snakes don't bite, and "snirt" is a real pain to clean up. ND is also were we'd run around in shorts and t-shirts when the temps hit the mid 30's in the Spring because it was so warm!

Sorry to see that winter has already arrived in Minot ("why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!")

Alright !! What do I win? :clap:
Nothing. Flawed and/or distorted data. Take a look at the top 3 coldest cities in January avg. temps according to CNN:

1 Fargo, ND -2.3°F
2 St. Cloud, MN -1.2°F
3 Bismarck, ND -0.6°F

These are average January temperatures. See how easy it is to lie with statistics? I wager that International Falls (your selection), Embarrass, and Bemidji are colder than all three of the above. Who are we supposed to believe? :dizzy:

Who are we supposed to believe? :dizzy:
We may never know the actual answer, but through an average of different sources we can come up with a decent conclusion. While it may no be conclusive, it will suffice for this discussion.

I believe about half of the statistics I find on the internet. For this type of info though, I figure if a few agree or are at least close to each other it is good enough.

Hey ND....we took a nice ride in the '72 ragtop yeaterday, was 75 deg., went to a fall festival across the mountain in W.Va...picked a few tomatoes, peas, and scored some fennel seed for a buddy...but, it won't be long 'til we see snow here in The Valley.

The reason North Dakota isn't on this list is because the wind NEVER stops blowing in the winter. Any snow that hits the ground is immediately blown to South Dakota and therefore can't be measured. Grand Forks is were I learned that it's never too cold to snow, snow snakes don't bite, and "snirt" is a real pain to clean up. ND is also were we'd run around in shorts and t-shirts when the temps hit the mid 30's in the Spring because it was so warm!

Sorry to see that winter has already arrived in Minot ("why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!")

I'm guessing you were in the USAF.

I'm guessing you were in the USAF.

Absolutely correct! Three winters ('83-'86) on the flightline at Grand Forks as a KC-135A crewchief. In retrospect it was a great time...I worked with some great guys, learned that -10 degrees really isn't that bad, and went on some great trips (TDY). The local folks were very nice and I got an understanding of just how tough it is to be a farmer. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Latest posts

Back