Age and Health

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 54 and climbing has never been more fun than now. All the new shiny gizmos like Bulldog Bone, Rope Runner, ascenders mounted on the spikes.... Heck, I've never been in better shape than now. We'll, it feels like it anyhow...... :surprised3:

Powerscender02.JPG

This is the Powerscender set (from Mike Powers) for Climb Right climbers. CT foot ascender mounted to plate that mounts between the spur and shank. For left climber, plate has hole for attaching the bungee of a SAKA or HAAS knee ascender.

Video of this in action please.

I didn't actually plan on climbing any trees for the next few day... we've got 8 to 10 inches of snow coming!
But I believe I can find a link to the system in use...

HERE we go... this is the SAKA with a foot ascender. This is what I use when climbing spurless. With the Powerscender/climber it is identical, except that you're wearing gaffs, so you have to be a bit more careful not to spike yourself, so a piece of garden hose over the spurs is a good idea until you get up to your destination.

I have climbed with a foot ascender also but if I have spikes on, I just spike up the tree. Boys and their toys. How much does that set up cost?
I like my toys! Shoot, those makes climbing both more fun and productive. :dancing:
Here's Mikes Powerscender mounted on my Distel Carbon Geckos....
DSC_0001.JPG

The SAKA, made by Richard Mumford, was $125 (much of that is the cost of the Petzl BASIC that it uses for the ascender) and the Powerscender is made by Mike Powers and I sent him the CT foot ascender (about $70) used for it, and I believe the cost for the set was $55 but you would have to check with him. My memory isn't what it used to be. For the ascender to point toward the rear (your heel) on the spike setup, you need to send him a LEFT foot ascender for use on your RIGHT climber.

The SAKA, of course, can be used with this setup or any spikeless ropewalker system, as well. You only need one of those for both techniques.

How beneficial a ropewalker system is to you will depend on a number of things... your age, the trees you're climbing, etc. but for most folks, walking up a flight of stairs is easier than climbing a tree with spurs. A ropewalker setup is pretty much like walking up stairs. You're using your large leg muscles. You don't have to pull yourself up with your arms at all. You just need to stay in close to the rope, so you're really just using your arms for that.

In all fairness, there other makers than the ones mentioned above.
I use a HAAS knee ascender. But the SAKA is probably just as good.
Kiwi Klimbers also has a ascender to be mounted on the spikes. A bit different but all good. I just prefer the CT Quickstep that Mike uses on the Powerscender.

I maybe an old basterd but I climb new school. I try out a system or style and if its an improvement I keep it, if not I get rid of it. I know guys half my age still using a monkeys fist tyed with the end of there safety line. Others who are stuck on SRT. It's a closed mind that makes a person old. I use all kinds of equipment, technics and a slew of tricks to make up for any slowing down that I maybe might be having because of age.
I've had offers to get into management position, and I would be Good at it, but the trees call me, Not to mention I can be a real a-hole and don't suffer stupid people very well. I like to call the shots and in charge of my own destiny.
But on the flip side I have no savings, no retirement, no pentions, I have to keep climbing.

Latest posts

Back