age of a 272xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstyear50

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
yesterday was just like christmas for me, a good friend of mine gave me two saws he had had in storage for the past 5 years or so. a Stihl 034av, and a husky 272xp. my question is the husky doesnt have any date on the tag. Some things i noticed about it is it doesn't have the full wrap handle on it, and its missing the felling dogs. are these signs of age, or are they just parts the original owner replaced?

In NY, 99% of the time a saw would not have a wrap handle. I have them with and without dogs, they dissapear sometimes.

In NY, 99% of the time a saw would not have a wrap handle. I have them with and without dogs, they dissapear sometimes.

ohh gotcha, i was just searching online and every single one i found had the full wrap. should have known we do it different in NY haha thanks for the reply

interested in parting with either??! :)

well after sitting for that amount of time, he assured me they didn't run. i took the 272 apart this morning, cleaned all the years of dirt and oil away, put a new plug in it, wet the cylinder a little, and after about 10-12 pulls she was purring like a... lion? long story short i haven't gotten to the 034 yet, and havent really cut with the 272, so i'd like to spend a little time with both first. but i'll definitely let you know.

ohh gotcha, i was just searching online and every single one i found had the full wrap. should have known we do it different in NY haha thanks for the reply

It is not a NY thing. It is more of an east coast thing from what I have seen. I've never come across a saw with one.

yesterday was just like christmas for me, a good friend of mine gave me two saws he had had in storage for the past 5 years or so. a Stihl 034av, and a husky 272xp. my question is the husky doesnt have any date on the tag. Some things i noticed about it is it doesn't have the full wrap handle on it, and its missing the felling dogs. are these signs of age, or are they just parts the original owner replaced?

You can tell the date of mfg by the serial number. If you tell me what it is, and I'll teach ya how to decipher them...:msp_smile:

In the northeast we cut lower on the standing trees than most other places to the wrap gt in the way.

Very different felling techniques

I figure it's cause we are cheap yankees and hate to waste wood. :msp_biggrin:

In the northeast we cut lower on the standing trees than most other places to the wrap gt in the way.

Very different felling techniques

I figure it's cause we are cheap yankees and hate to waste wood. :msp_biggrin:

Yep we do....our trees are pretty close together and not as big as WC trees...high stumps were a problem for the horses...then a problem for the homemade tractors..then a problem for the skidders.....and we are usualy not cutting on steep hillsides so there is litttle need for full wrap...though I have a couple..they do protect the clutch side from the usual abuse...kinda like a rollbar for your saw!!!

Yep we do....our trees are pretty close together and not as big as WC trees...high stumps were a problem for the horses...then a problem for the homemade tractors..then a problem for the skidders.....and we are usualy not cutting on steep hillsides so there is litttle need for full wrap...though I have a couple..they do protect the clutch side from the usual abuse...kinda like a rollbar for your saw!!!

You haven't seen my back acreage

I will take some shots when I am up doing some thinning marking.

Heck I will send a pic of the white pine that needs to come out in the front by the river.:msp_scared:

You haven't seen my back acreage

I will take some shots when I am up doing some thinning marking.

Heck I will send a pic of the white pine that needs to come out in the front by the river.:msp_scared:

LOL!! I'm not saying we don't cut the hillsides just that we generally use hoved, wheeled, or tracked stuff to haul the logs out..rather than setting up donkey winches and drag lines because the hillsides are to steep and to long to use anything else. I know about big white pine a bit but it truely doesn't measure up to the big doug fir and redwoods of the PNW.....sizewise. You know when you start just above dirt on the uphill side and a level line through the trunk brings you out 8-10' above ground on the downhill side..that's where a full wrap is good....there are very few trees in any the east coast woods that meet those specs....LOL..even in the "Pine Tree State"...

Back