Alder, Alder, Alder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's a darned good thing we had and alder job earlier in the year. Cause we're burning it right now. Holy carp suckers, it's 47 and raining and in the middle of Aug we have a fire going int he stove. My stars what is going on.

Steep, I'm 4 feet from the edge, and the boy is almost 6'4"
View attachment 250267

Lining up.
View attachment 250268

Giving a helping hand in the hole.
View attachment 250269

Checking the lay on this one and hearing what he is thinking.
View attachment 250270

Some times teaching involves huge amounts of trust, I would not do this for anyone but this kids right here.
View attachment 250271

If it works, more in the next post.

Owl

Congrats on taking out those pesky Alders! Looks like some good firewood you got your self too.

Looks like a fun time!

Owl, with that mustache ya got, you could pass yourself off as an unsavory character from that "Deadwood" tv show :laugh:

Yep,
What's with the weather? Fire in the stove today and yesterday. I'm burning hemlock though.
Good soaker of a rain last night but clear and cool today.

Yep,
What's with the weather? Fire in the stove today and yesterday. I'm burning hemlock though.
Good soaker of a rain last night but clear and cool today.

Weird yesterday looked like rain 3/4 of the day; woke up this morning and we had a marine layer (here in Stanwood) right now beautiful sun shine :msp_smile:

Looks like a fun time!

Owl, with that mustache ya got, you could pass yourself off as an unsavory character from that "Deadwood" tv show :laugh:

It was a good day, Turned into a real fun firewood day for us. Bull didn't want to pick up all the stragglers that he "marked out". Not a production day so we didn't have all our gear on and dragging with us. Probably should have had our lids on though, but we could take our time and watch everything as close as possible. I should have had my glasses on too.

No TV here so I don't know what Deadwood is, but.... I have among other things been referred to as unsavory in the past, at time or two, not to much though.

Crumpler, how is your educating going? Are you done yet?

Get done and get out here Mr. rumor has it something big is going to happen, just not sure when. Some kinda swap and new company has their plan ready to implement. So it be told the the new company on the block out here is going to run, get this. For a loss, for a write off for the rest of whatever they do. Oh well, whatever so long as guys are working and food gets put on the table, I don't give two itches what where or why they do what they do.

Oh ya I'm working on some more photos, ya I'll be right back. Huh sure.

Owl

It was a good day, Turned into a real fun firewood day for us. Bull didn't want to pick up all the stragglers that he "marked out". Not a production day so we didn't have all our gear on and dragging with us. Probably should have had our lids on though, but we could take our time and watch everything as close as possible. I should have had my glasses on too.

No TV here so I don't know what Deadwood is, but.... I have among other things been referred to as unsavory in the past, at time or two, not to much though.

Crumpler, how is your educating going? Are you done yet?

Get done and get out here Mr. rumor has it something big is going to happen, just not sure when. Some kinda swap and new company has their plan ready to implement. So it be told the the new company on the block out here is going to run, get this. For a loss, for a write off for the rest of whatever they do. Oh well, whatever so long as guys are working and food gets put on the table, I don't give two itches what where or why they do what they do.

Oh ya I'm working on some more photos, ya I'll be right back. Huh sure.

Owl
that wouldnot be a certain investment co. that starts with an "h"?

Yup, so I've been hearing a lot about. Ends with a "K". I think it was Stimpson that the either bought from or swapped/traded a pile of ground a couple years ago.

You home? Might give a call here in the next little bit, soon as I find out what the boy is up too.

Owl

Yup...more pictures.

Holy smoke smokes, I now realize why I don't know how to do pictures. Cause they are a pain in the but and take forever.

But, for you and Ms. P, I'll see what I can come up with.

That's sure one thing I wish I had done more of, is take pictures, especially when the boy is out with me.

This is clearing the road for getting the machines in. Bull found and blue paint can, and boy did he think he was somebody. Could have gone to the mill easy but we took it for the wood shed. Got some BIG alder coming up. The big'uns taped out at at real close to 30", but there isn't many of those. This is gonna be a bugger of a job, some of these brittle son of a guns are coming strait out of the side and then shooting up. Everyone has a buddy on this job, 2 guys per tree no exceptions, Bulls orders. At least there's no big push on this job. The owner just wants things cleared out and doesn't like alder at all. Ha the boy has never cut before when he has to be tied off, he really gave me the stink eye when he saw me put the eye on his belt.

Alder is quite possibly my favorite to cut. Man does that stuff keep you on your toes, lofing and lolly gagging not allowed. I think big punkin fir, the stuff that's bar width or better, beats it out though.

One of my favorites.
View attachment 250352

What happens when Dad doesn't think you're fast enough.
View attachment 250354

Oops.
View attachment 250358

Destroy the evidence, he didn't want this hanging around.
View attachment 250359

Sentimental time for me, he was 10 here. The day after his first full day dragging my jugs around. I think he was asleep before he closed the door that afternoon. This is the next day, he wanted to go sturgeon fish'in. So we went, we got him his first sturgeon that day and that was all he could take, this is about 20 min after the fish and about 5 min after lunch.
View attachment 250361

Owl

I like alder Home owners never realize how much the mills pay for it, it usually not to limby and it makes great fire wood, Kinda fun to cut too except that whole wanting to chair on ya thing, Nice sharp chain with a hot running saw oh yeah thems good times.:tongue2:

We've had 8 or 9 good frosts so far this month. It was 28 degree. F this morning.
IMG_20120828_153728.jpg

Owl, all ya need is one of these Smarty pants phone. Pics are easy peasy. Not as good for turning the pics right side up.
Leaves are turning.

Last edited:
Owl, all ya need is one of these Smarty pants phone. Pics are easy peasy. Not as good for turning the pics right side up.
Leaves are turning.

No sir, No thank you. I just got my first cell about 2 months ago. The kids laugh at me cause it's what ever they call a flip phone. I had the boy block all but a handful of numbers. That way if, IF, I hear it, IF I even remember to turn it on. I know that it's someone that needs to talk to me(kids/home).

No phone, no thanks, I'm still good with the pony express or the real land line they call it, phone, two shorts and a ring please.

I'm perfectly happy where I am, that is, not even close to crossing the digital divide yet.

Them trees are starting to look familiar for our little hole here. Even the grapes are already turning. Winter maybe bad, the old timers are pulling their pumps this year, complete pull up into the barn, not just drain and cover type pull. These are the 80+ old timers.

Owl

No sir, No thank you. I just got my first cell about 2 months ago. The kids laugh at me cause it's what ever they call a flip phone. I had the boy block all but a handful of numbers. That way if, IF, I hear it, IF I even remember to turn it on. I know that it's someone that needs to talk to me(kids/home).

No phone, no thanks, I'm still good with the pony express or the real land line they call it, phone, two shorts and a ring please.

I'm perfectly happy where I am, that is, not even close to crossing the digital divide yet.

Owl

YAY! I'm not alone. I have had a cell phone for 3 years now. I've never come close to using up the minutes. The camera goes off frequently taking pictures of the inside of my pocket. Turning it on is hard to remember.

More pictures of your alder killing please.

Hmmm. I have heard rumors of El Nino which means warmer, dryer for here, I think. But I believe in winterizing no matter what the rumor/prediction is.

Latest posts

Back