all of you axemen out there

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recieved an old axe from my grandfather the other day and it had been his dads axe. It is actually a really nice axe. I just need to change out the handle. it is good strong steele axe. i have two questions. I use first a file then a wet stone then a diamond file to sharpen my axes. Is this a good way to sharpen my axe. and then my grandfather was telling me when i put a new handle on the axe to put the handle on then boil water and put the axe head of the water then put my wedge in the head. Is this the way to do things .

thanks
Vince

Vince I'm not quite sure what a diamond file is but I've never went past using a stone on my axes. I try to avoid using files unless the edge is dinged up. Is it a double bitted axe?

Vince
Getting the best wood to steel fit you can before the wedge is key, I would think that the water would swell the wood, and as it dryed the wood would loosen,,,, but old school cool is sometime the best,,,,,, maybe the boiling water gets a better wedge fit?

no it was to expand the wood but when it dried and coooled it would never leave the axe head and therefore expanded when it dried and could not loosen it

a diamond file is suopposed to be very fine and actually it works quite well but what techniqes do the pros use i am kind of wondering please let me know so far this is unbelievably sharp and i hold an edge

Fit

Vince , if you were to put just the axe head in boiling water to expand the opening then drive in the handle before it cooled it might allow a tighter handle to head fit . A method that I've read about was to heat the handle over a campfire to drive out the moisture then fit the handle . When the wood reabsorbs the moisture in the air it will get real tight .

Axe handles

Boiling water might expand an axe head a couple thousandth, (.002) as a bearing can get a few thousandths (.006) oven heated to 350 deg, to allow an interference fit. Putting any wood in water temporally expands it, that would make it looser as it dried.

I like the idea of the campfire, as hot wood is also is more pliable and would accept a weadge better! I wonder if the old school idea boiling water was to heat the handle with the steam, as that would be very pliable also?
Kevin

I dont' know about the boiling water, but I've been watching this thread to see what everyone else out there does.

I've always laid the handle and head next to a wood stove or fireplace for a few hours, fit them together, throw a wooden wedge in and drop the complete axe in a bucket of water for a day or two. I always start with a snug handle and I've never had any problems.

If you're trying to keep the axe head tight, soak it in water and antifreeze. Don't leave your water and antifreeze laying around because it will kill your dogs if they drink it.

Latest posts

Back