All u Loggers Post your Pics here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Pleasant day in the woods.

Summer fashions have given way to winter fashions. This hooktender invited me to help pack line up the hill but I declined. Rock is in demand once again. The curve at the bottom (not shown) has a very steep grade and trucks were having to be pulled by the shovel to get up to the landing. We pickup drivers got a run at it and just floored it to get up (barely), even when we had dry weather. They rocked it this week.

Dead center TN. There are a few hand crews contracted by the mill on the tract. It's 5000 acres, and has been open for 4 years. We were brought in to finish it before the contract runs out. We don't use any chain saws. There isn't anything I can't do with the 1270.

Well, what? Yes there are a few trees that are bigger than 30". But the mill that we are with doesn't want that big. I max out the size and pull more volume off per acre than you can argue. I'm not trying to be defensive, but I've done the competition, and have won in every situation. You have your place in the woods. There are some trees that cannot be done with the harvester, but a simple statement of<del> "oh yes there is" doesn't cut it</del>. And if thats what you have to say, with out any other statement, this isn't the thread for you. All I was doing was showing what it is I DO! I HAVE RESPECT FOR HAND CUTTERS! IT IS HARD WORK! I wasn't bragging. The guy asked "do you do any cutting with a chainsaw?" My response was NO! There is nothing on the jobs that I do, That I can't Do.

And further more, I have worked side by side with cutters for 5+ years. They complement my work as well as I do theirs. I have trees that would be better for them to do, then I clean up. It's a win win situation.

Last edited:
And further more, I have worked side by side with cutters for 5+ years. They complement my work as well as I do theirs. I have trees that would be better for them to do, then I clean up. It's a win win situation.

Yeah, hand falling small trees all day is mind numbing boredom, low production, hard work, and imo more dangerous than cutting bigger trees.
Back east I would much rather have a buncher or processor go through and cut all the smaller stuff first. It makes falling the bigger trees much faster and easier if you don't have to cut a dozen little trees first, so that the bigger one will hit the ground.

Redwood operation in coastal N. California second growth.

617884989_a3807fa958.jpg

618255169_ba0edc12e9.jpg

617884849_72e8e2a204.jpg

Latest posts

Back