Allergic reaction to pine sap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1CallLandscape

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey, this may sound dumb but i always get an allergic reaction to pine sap when i get scratched by a cone or branch . i dont get it if its just on my skin without an abrasion (or on my hands) . the symptoms are: swelling, redness and some real discomforting pain....
usually i wear long sleeves for pines but it is just too dam hot to even wear a t-shirt ( i wear a tanktop & jeans obviously) today i did 2 an im feeling it! is there anyway to either stop this from happening or lessen the effects??? ive been told to use ivyblock but it didnt work.

-mike

I get similiar reaction to London Plane / sycamore, try some benadryl or over the counter anti-histamine. Don't scratch, it only makes it worse.

pine itch

You know.
All the time on here, most will eventually say something like: "you need to bring in a pro", or "shouldn't be giving advice on a tree that dangerous over the internet".

Your quote; "and some real discomforting pain".

I'm a former EMT, and I shouldn't be giving advice over the net. Unless it's go to a Doctor. Seriously, a dermatologist.
One of them allegy guys.

This could end up being very very serious.

All the Best.

i should also mention that my father gets the same reaction...it clears up in a dayor two, so its probably nothing real serious, just a discomfort. its more pain than an itch.

-mike

I get an itchy rash anytime I brush up against Blue Spruce, Scotch Pine, and Austrian Pine. Nothing painfull though. Rash usually goes away within the day.

Pine allergy

If you are sensitized to pine then,you can have a full blown reaction at anytime. Check out what else pine is used for. Scare the ????e out of ya. Ask me how I know. My Dad came down with Beck's Sarcodosis from pine products. It used to be in aerosols. Myself, I can't work work with red cedar. I get flu like symptoms from the dust.

1CallLandscape said:
i should also mention that my father gets the same reaction...it clears up in a dayor two, so its probably nothing real serious, just a discomfort. its more pain than an itch. -mike

Well then get a helmet and quit yer b!tchin!:hmm3grin2orange:

Would need a bubble suit.

Don't like red cedar that much. even my skin gets the itches. Plenty of other wood to use. :D

My best advice is to simply refuse to climb pine trees. That's what I do. Pick your battles. I too am allergic pine sap gives me terrets.

Back