Almost firewood-=burned dead Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just couldn't cut it up without seeing what it looked like on the inside. Ended up wit an 8x8x8' mantle for the future stove in the future log house...:cheers:
RD

woodbug112.jpg

woodbug114.jpg

woodbug120.jpg

Last edited:
... beautiful chunk of wood, nice save from the firewood pile. It looks a little to reddish for walnut though in the pic, might be the colors not translating correctly on the web or my monitor etc. It almost looks as red as madrone or some of the tropical hardwoods. How did you determine it was walnut?

Beautiful.

Last edited:
It's definatly walnut, the other side of the fork was still alive and it is the traditional walnut brown. I don't know what gave it this tint, but it has a reddish hue....not to be confused with a pinkish hue(Seinfeld):D . This tree was next to the "original" comercial sawmill that was on the property before i bought it. It burned down...several times...winkwink.
RD

Talk about a silk purse from a sows ear

That thing really turned out nice...hard to believe

Nice wood. Good to see the Woodbug being put to good use. You are right - That is going to make a dandy mantle. :clap:

Nice looking wood. Like the action shot.

I used the 'ole car commercial trick...watered everything down....made the grain stand out. This log was tough & dry, had to break out the file & guide, because it really let me know that the chain was not perfect. The other fork looked way worse, so i bucked it up......man that was a mistake, it was even prettier:mad: Anyway, everytime i am in the woods i find myself staring/studying just about every good sized tree.....i think i need therapy....:help:

BTW, were these pic's too big? Since i got the sat, i kinda forget about those striken with dial-up. If so i can make them smaller next time(i think).

RD

Anyway, everytime i am in the woods i find myself staring/studying just about every good sized tree.....i think i need therapy....:help:

RD

Sawing IS therapy....

Stickering sucks tho'...

The first black walnut I sawed years ago was so green inside it looked like locust - The small gives it away though, there's no mistaking it - As the air got to it, it slowly turned that chocolate brown walnut color. Nice job RD

Scott, the other fork was the "normal" walnut brown. I agree the heat may have had something to to with the color change. Also, like Mike V said, it may change color now that the air can get to it. The cedar seems to change from brilliant red to a washed out brownish red before your eyes as soon as it is cut.
RD

Latest posts

Back