Almost New Stihl 070!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleMist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About 2 months ago I purchased a used Stihl 070 from a pawn shop here in Belize. It is non-AV but is in almost new condition. I would like to know when it was made if someone here has access to the information. It is serial #163 411 568. I know it has sat on the floor of the pawn shop since early this year.

The shop is right on the street and all the dust goes right through the open windows and doors and covers everything. I took the covers off and cleaned under the carb, around the starter, etc. The previous owner has used waste motor oil for bar oil so I had to flush it all out with diesel and put new bar oil in. I replaced the oil cap as well due to damaged threads.

I got a set of dogs from the local Stihl dealer, and a rim and drum kit from Bailey's. The Stihl .404 chain loop on the saw had the rakers filed to .095".:blob2: It now has a loop of Oregon 3/8" pitch .063" square chisel on it.

The saw will see most of its use on my Granberg 48" mill. Down here in the jungle the 070 is probably the most common large saw. Parts are stocked at the local dealer and the prices for genuine parts are comparable to Bailey's aftermarket ones.

View attachment 207713View attachment 207715View attachment 207719View attachment 207721View attachment 207725

Get it for a good price? I'm no expert here, but did you pull the muffler and check piston score?

The Stihl dealer here has listed the 070 AV (and non-AV) new for $2,250 - $2,500 USD. Recently they had an older really abused 070 for $900 USD. The same pawn shop I got mine from had an old 070 (with the log badge) for $700 USD a while back.

I had seen this saw there for some time and I decided to make the owner an offer, and he took it. I got mine for way less than half of new price, so I am very happy.:chainsaw:

Very nice sawand at a good price ! I served out there for around 7 months in the 80's I can almost feel the humidity as I sit here typing !!

Very nice sawand at a good price ! I served out there for around 7 months in the 80's I can almost feel the humidity as I sit here typing !!

You get used to the humidity after a while. We are coming to the end of the rainy season here now. It is 83 degrees and around 70% humidity. It is cooler but of course more humid back in the jungle.

Made in Germany. Most likely around the 2005 mark.

Thanks.

From other serial numbers and manufacturing dates I knew of I figured it was somewhere around then.

The chainsaw certainly saw very little use. The saw has probably spent most of its life sitting at a dealer and then in the pawn shop. Dealers here don't sell very many of them.

He was probably asking about shipping because alot of us here (me included) would be delighted for someone (you) to find used ones and ship them to us. :D

Theres alot of models we consider to be history, still being made around the world. And we WANT THEM! :heart:

And I've worked in Belize numerous time. In fact the wife and I'll be volunteer managers of a scientific research island, on the reef, near South Water Caye April-May. Looking forward to it. Wont' be doing any chainsaw shopping though. :msp_biggrin:

Back