Altec Upper Fiber Optic Control

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbinbc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We are having troubles with the upper controler, Lower controls work fine. Can I bypass the fiber optic? There looks to be 24 wires on each side. The upper fiber optic unit was replaced but still doesn't work. Is there a common problem with these set up I may be over looking? This is a early 90's 55 footer

We are having troubles with the upper controler, Lower controls work fine. Can I bypass the fiber optic? There looks to be 24 wires on each side. The upper fiber optic unit was replaced but still doesn't work. Is there a common problem with these set up I may be over looking? This is a early 90's 55 footer

ewwww, fiber optic.....

Last edited:
Hows your battery? Fully charged? Is the charger working properly?

You can remove the f/o line from the lower box and see if you are getting a red signal light from the uppers. Have one person operate the upper controls while someone looks at the f/o line.

If there is no light remove the line from the upper controls and shine a flash light into it. You should be able to see this light at the other end. This will tell you if the line is good.

They can be converted but it will be expensive. Last one we did was about $11k, but that had a material handler.

In general I recommend people to stay as far away from these systems as possible.

This also has the jib on it, Why couldn't I just bypass the lower boom controls and run the wires to the top? I dont work around high voltage line. I will mess with it some more.

Latest posts

Back