Alternative wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wrist rockets

That's funny. I've never seen you complain about any chain sharpening, or modded work saw threads...

Back to the topic at hand, I have been a hand saw and hatchet man for the last 3 weeks thanks to a broken hand.

Never thought of that, cutting with one hand with a chainsaw, outside of a small tophandle. Hmmm....

Ever use a wrist rocket slingshot? Maybe some sort of brace like that, even all the way with like velcro straps or something, a little extension that bolted onto the saw then to your forearm to hold a top handle REALLY securely with just one hand. It would take the strain and weight off your wrist a lot, make it loads easier to handle the saw safely, or safer, put it that way.

Couple weeks ago I was pharting around with using my fiskars one handed, switching from left to right. As long as I choked up on it a little, I was splitting OK with it that way, on moderate wood (stronghand anyway, off hand was like girly man whacks...). I don't have an "in betweener" in size axe, just a small light trimming hatchet, then on to full size axes, but the fiskars x25 is light enough to be used one handed for that.

So, what are you using for a handsaw? I cut all my firewood for years with a sandvik 30", but in retrospect now and having used some different ones in the meantime, a 36 would have been a lot better.

attachment.php

That's funny. I've never seen you complain about any chain sharpening, or modded work saw threads...

And your point is?

I think the only times I have voiced my opinion has been after people have claimed they were trying to eliminate clutter by posting more stuff in the chainsaw thread instead of the other forums.

I used a circular saw to cut up some oak flooring for last night bonfire, and the other day I used a coping saw to make my boys a couple of bows and some arrows to shoot squirrels and other rodents around the house. Hope this qualifies...lol

So, what are you using for a handsaw? I cut all my firewood for years with a sandvik 30", but in retrospect now and having used some different ones in the meantime, a 36 would have been a lot better.

It's just an old bow saw I've had since I was a teenager. I just needed to clear out some big, old shrubs so my wife could do some planting.

Haven't tried splitting, but I was shocked at how well I could work a pickaxe with one hand.

Never thought about using the sawzall...I could rest it on my forearm.

And your point is?

I think the only times I have voiced my opinion has been after people have claimed they were trying to eliminate clutter by posting more stuff in the chainsaw thread instead of the other forums.

If you are that concerned with clutter, set an example by deleting your posts in this thread.

This is a thread for alternative cutting, anything except a conventional gas powered normal chainsaw.

Electric saws, hydraulic saws, hand saws, bucksaws, crosscuts, battery saws, pole saws, brushcutters, axes, recips...whatever you might have.

We all cut a lot of wood, but sometimes not with a regular saw! So post 'em up!

I ask a beaver to do my log... :d

Hey Count. Ya gonna dress as Van Helsing for halloween?

I think a handsaw forum is a good idea, just not in the middle of the existing chainsaw forum.

no my friend; Halloween is the only time I can go out as myself.
:)
chainsaw, handsaw, seesaw, jigsaw...whatever.

It's not in the middle

Hey Count. Ya gonna dress as Van Helsing for halloween?

I think a handsaw forum is a good idea, just not in the middle of the existing chainsaw forum.

It is at the top of the page, not the middle, and should sometime be moved by a moderator up to that single sticky link. I have no control over when that happens or it would be done already. This thread is a sub forum, like the other stickies, that was the plan anyway.

Way cool!

Rototiller model E.

That is pretty snazzy! Have you cut with it? What size chain did it come with?

It cuts your wood, plants your spuds, lays your cable, walks the dog and washes the car..it's...ROTOTILLER!!

Man, that's cool, how old is it? Looks a beast but I bet it's got some serious torque-age to it.

I've been looking at crosscuts for SHTF. Crosscut Saw Company has some nice ones.

That is pretty snazzy! Have you cut with it? What size chain did it come with?

It cuts your wood, plants your spuds, lays your cable, walks the dog and washes the car..it's...ROTOTILLER!!

Man, that's cool, how old is it? Looks a beast but I bet it's got some serious torque-age to it.

1960's, I think has 404 or 7/16 on it, I can't get to it right now to check it.

I've been looking at crosscuts for SHTF. Crosscut Saw Company has some nice ones.

I don't have a nice one yet. I used to own a couple, but not now. Locally to me all I have found used for crosscuts people want "antique" prices for them..they can keep 'em. Ya, proly have to bite the bullet and buy one new, a cross cut and a bucksaw. I have a few cheapie bowsaws..but..I got the battery saw! I figured I had around nine years of cutting almost every day with the batteries, way more than enough to keep us in firewood, and charge it with my solar panels rig. Right now that is my SHTF saw. More likely around 18 years worth, as I could theoretically cut about two year's worth per year at one battery charge cycle a day. I have a few extra chains and stones, just need some more, plus bar oil and..that's it. I can swap bars and run my regular chain on it as well. So I am set already, but still would like a crosscut and appropriate files and a "set"

And for bar oil for the battery saw,if push comes to shove, I mean in a dire emergency, there's some barrels of old drain oil here, run it through a filter, use that, like a funnel stuffed with rags and windowscreen scrap, plus hit the stuff with a magnet (busted speaker magnet, I scrounge them), swirl it around in the bucket of already filtered oil to pull those smaller steel particles out, if I *really* had to. Magnet won't pull out aluminum or copper, but I am not to concerned with that for bar oil. Steel yes, softer metals, not so much.

That and deadfalls from the woods, don't need much more than an axe and a sledgehammer to harvest wood that way. Or just the old reliable maul. Whomp! Pickaxe comes in handy too to get small standing dead out of the ground easy. Here's a tip for that, real wet wood from deadfall branches busts real easy, but will dry out just fine and be burnable once off the ground and out of the shade into the sunshine and air. Been there, done that, had to, burned that. Could do it again if I had to.

Mall pneumatic saw, model 2 p24.

When I got this saw it was locked up. I took it all apart and cleaned it.
Installed new bearings, they were rusted up. It works now.
I don't have enough air volume to saw with it but it spins the chain good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a thread for alternative cutting, anything except a conventional gas powered normal chainsaw.

Electric saws, hydraulic saws, hand saws, bucksaws, crosscuts, battery saws, pole saws, brushcutters, axes, recips...whatever you might have.

We all cut a lot of wood, but sometimes not with a regular saw! So post 'em up!

Zogger, a few years back I was building a new house and the electric crew arrived to run 1100 feet of electric line. I paid the electric company in August and they showed up in February. The ground was so muddy that I had to set four 45 ft. utility poles with my backhoe. Then the foreman of the crew informs me that they could not string the wire because of an eight inch diameter white oak limb about 25 ft. long that was hanging over the right of way and I would have to call a tree trimmer. There were about 7 linesmen standing there with the foreman with his back to me. I go to my trailer and get my 7mm Browning Automatic Rifle and the crew foreman never saw me coming back with the rifle. I began shooting the limb and the foreman thought I had wacked out and he ran all the way back to one of the trucks. Most of the linesmen were rolling on the ground with laughter. Two of the linesmen convinced the foreman that I was only shooting the limb down. When the foreman returned I asked him if there were any more limbs that needed to come down and he he said no, that was quite sufficient.

Zogger, a few years back I was building a new house and the electric crew arrived to run 1100 feet of electric line. I paid the electric company in August and they showed up in February. The ground was so muddy that I had to set four 45 ft. utility poles with my backhoe. Then the foreman of the crew informs me that they could not string the wire because of an eight inch diameter white oak limb about 25 ft. long that was hanging over the right of way and I would have to call a tree trimmer. There were about 7 linesmen standing there with the foreman with his back to me. I go to my trailer and get my 7mm Browning Automatic Rifle and the crew foreman never saw me coming back with the rifle. I began shooting the limb and the foreman thought I had wacked out and he ran all the way back to one of the trucks. Most of the linesmen were rolling on the ground with laughter. Two of the linesmen convinced the foreman that I was only shooting the limb down. When the foreman returned I asked him if there were any more limbs that needed to come down and he he said no, that was quite sufficient.

How many shots did it take? :clap: :hmm3grin2orange:

Howdy ric5141, The limb was up about 45 ft. to 50 ft. and would have been just above the primary wire. It took 7 rounds using a 7mm Remmington Magnum 175 grain bullet which punches out a pretty good size hole on the exit side. It was sure cheaper and faster than calling a tree trimmer.

Last edited:
Back