Alternative wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story!

Howdy ric5141, The limb was up about 45 ft. to 50 ft. and would have been just above the primary wire. It took 7 rounds using a 7mm Remmington Magnum 175 grain bullet which punches out a pretty good size hole on the exist side. It was sure cheaper and faster than calling a tree trimmer.

That's funny as heck! And if the 7mm rounds didn't do it, the shock waves would have taken it down eventually!

Just got my first double bit axe at an auction last weekend - looking forward to pitting it against the 372 once I down a few jugs of coffee :)

I worked a contract in the 90's where they wanted leaf samples from the top of the crown. As bid, we were to climb for our samples. That turned out to be impractical, as we needed 1200 samples in about 2 weeks and had only 2 harnesses. First day we collected a dozen or so samples. Second day we brought .22 rifles, and for the rest of the contract, each of us went through a brick or two per day. It got to where any of us on the crew could spot a branch that had a clear falling path to the ground, lay down pointing the rifle at the branch, sight by silhouetting it against the sky, and in a few moments have a sample in hand, usually after less than three shots. As I recall, the study had something to do with radiocarbon-labeled broadcast fertilizer application and landscape-level bioaccumulation over a year's time. Never saw the results of the study, though, so I don't know if we found anything interesting.

David Bradley

saw976.jpg

saw975.jpg

saw974.jpg

Homelite pruner EP-1 Small ring saw

saw982.jpg

saw980.jpg

saw981.jpg

saw984.jpg

More cool stuff!

Here is a Video of the Homelite pruner.

Homelite pruner - YouTube

You just have *tons* of old cool saws! bwahahaha, cutting cookies in the house, hehehehehe I haven't done that, but I remember up in maine using my stool -a stump- to split kindling on, and to make normal splits smaller to get more heat, so I wouldn't have to go outside at 25 below....not that it was all much warmer inside, but it at least was above zee-ro a little. Little cabin, no insulation at all, walls or ceiling... more than five feet or so from the heater you could see your breath a lot of the real cold days... I used to always heat up bricks on the stove, wrap them in a towel, then stick them down under the blankets at the foot area of my bed. Changed them out once a night so my durn feet wouldn't freeze off.

Ha! I bet you know the answer to this one. I have seen one wright recip saw before (the owner, a big logging guy, didn't like it much), but I always wondered, did anyone make an attachment to motorize a normal (wood frame, tensioner on top, that kind) bucksaw?

You just have *tons* of old cool saws! bwahahaha, cutting cookies in the house, hehehehehe I haven't done that, but I remember up in maine using my stool -a stump- to split kindling on, and to make normal splits smaller to get more heat, so I wouldn't have to go outside at 25 below....not that it was all much warmer inside, but it at least was above zee-ro a little. Little cabin, no insulation at all, walls or ceiling... more than five feet or so from the heater you could see your breath a lot of the real cold days... I used to always heat up bricks on the stove, wrap them in a towel, then stick them down under the blankets at the foot area of my bed. Changed them out once a night so my durn feet wouldn't freeze off.

Ha! I bet you know the answer to this one. I have seen one wright recip saw before (the owner, a big logging guy, didn't like it much), but I always wondered, did anyone make an attachment to motorize a normal (wood frame, tensioner on top, that kind) bucksaw?

No, I don't think a wood frame buck saw would hold up hooked to a engine.
I have never seen anyone try to do that.
They did make those big Drag saws.

Now that is practical

Craftsman circular saw with a chainsaw attachment.

---now that is practical. They should resurrect that idea.

--drag saw. Seems to me I saw the Count post a pic of one he has.

edit: how does that chain oil?

Last edited:
Zogger, that saw would make a good beam cutter.

I bet it pulls. I looked at a coupla electrics today actually at a pawn shop, all too high I think, I passed. Their gassers were ridiculous high as well. wicked used for near new prices. ain't gonna..heck, wouldn't cut me a deal on a 36 inch bowsaw either.

I have a little remington plug in, but...it's little...the chain actually goes round and round, that's about it. It does need a better chain though.

Well, it doesn't cut much, but...

..it tastes good! hahahaha! LadyZ made me an official "sixtieth anniversary model" saw..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just inherited my great-great- grandpa's crosscut saw with the passing of my Uncle Mack! its an old 5 footer, no handles and surface rust, but at least nobody has done some stupid painting on it! Pics when I get a chance.

neat

I just inherited my great-great- grandpa's crosscut saw with the passing of my Uncle Mack! its an old 5 footer, no handles and surface rust, but at least nobody has done some stupid painting on it! Pics when I get a chance.

Yes, like to see some pics of it restored and in some wood! Of course you'll have to find a masochistic helper for the other side. I used to have a big two man crosscut, you could get someone to help one time with the appropriate bribe..then you had to go find another helper victim. The previous guys would all say stuff like "oh man, love to come over and help you cut some more, but geez, I am scheduled to polish my yo yo collection that day" and etc....

...little bump to see if you ever got those pics and the saw working and into some wood!

This is a thread for alternative cutting, anything except a conventional gas powered normal chainsaw.

Electric saws, hydraulic saws, hand saws, bucksaws, crosscuts, battery saws, pole saws, brushcutters, axes, recips...whatever you might have.

We all cut a lot of wood, but sometimes not with a regular saw! So post 'em up!

Ya know, I figured this thread would settle down when someone started to post pics of electric and/or battery powered chainsaws. Heck, they are chainsaws after all. ;)

Wow! Where did this come from!
Neat thread!
I have a few old cross cuts and a few Ice saws that I'd like to run.
I can't find anyone who know's how to sharpin and set the rakers on them. Even the Amish I sometimes work w/ don't know.(they burn slab wood from the mills) I was looking into getting a new one, but the price scared me away.
ATTN; op You seem like the type of guy that would like a buddy of mine's set up. He heats w/ wood and his home made Windmill supplys all the electricty he needs and some. Lets just say he gets the check at the end of the month.

Back