Aluminum axe scabbards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone use these? My cutting partner got one about a month back from Madsen's and now raves about it. He would also say good things about a skunk in a shoe box if he paid money to get it. So I'm not sure. I have always just put the handle down the back of the belt when working. No, he won't let me try it out either, thats another thing that has me giving him the stink eye. When he don't like it he thinks everyone should have the same pain.

Looks like it maybe handy, but I would like some more real working thought before I spend anything on one of these. How do you like the handle strait up your back, weight difference with handle up or down, hanging on low brush. That type of thing. If you have one would you buy again?

Thaks for your ideas

Owl

I've been using one for 20 year's, and I love them. I finally wore the bottom out of the first one, and didn't know anyone still sold them so I built a new one out of roof flashing.
When I wore out my first one I tried sticking the handle through my belt for a couple of day's before I built the new one.
If you're using a 36" handle it would probably suck. I cut my handles to about 28", it ping's the back of my mac-T once in a while, but you get used to that.
Ballance is good, and you don't have the handle banging the back of your leg.
What does Madsen's get for one?

Andy

how's about a pic of your home made one?

got a keen kutter axe that sure needs an aluminum cover.

I've been using one for 20 year's, and I love them. I finally wore the bottom out of the first one, and didn't know anyone still sold them so I built a new one out of roof flashing.
When I wore out my first one I tried sticking the handle through my belt for a couple of day's before I built the new one.
If you're using a 36" handle it would probably suck. I cut my handles to about 28", it ping's the back of my mac-T once in a while, but you get used to that.

Andy

Andy

20 years says alot and wearing it out says more. Madsens get 20 to 25 bucks for theirs depending on what size you are looking for. If you cut the handle down short enough to still use well and still be short the head will rock it over and the handle will not beat the back of your knees. Handles longer than that are a pain to pull out of the belt too.

Owl

Does anyone use these? My cutting partner got one about a month back from Madsen's and now raves about it. He would also say good things about a skunk in a shoe box if he paid money to get it. So I'm not sure. I have always just put the handle down the back of the belt when working. No, he won't let me try it out either, thats another thing that has me giving him the stink eye. When he don't like it he thinks everyone should have the same pain.

Looks like it maybe handy, but I would like some more real working thought before I spend anything on one of these. How do you like the handle strait up your back, weight difference with handle up or down, hanging on low brush. That type of thing. If you have one would you buy again?

Thaks for your ideas

Owl

I usually wear one. They're handy and you don't have to worry about gouging yourself with an axe if you fall down. A lot of guys I work with use them but a lot of guys don't, too. Red has the right idea about shortening up your handle...no point in whacking yourself on the back of the head all day. I wear it with the handle up, dead astern.

Tell you what. Mine is pretty thrashed. It's worn through in a couple of spots and it's been run over a couple of times. Go ahead and get yourself a new one. If you don't like it I'll give you what you paid for it (after negotiating over beer and BBQ :) ) at the next GTG.

Last edited:
from the looks of em online and in the catalogs they can't weigh more than a pound or two

i may get one before march

Last edited:
Tell you what. Mine is pretty thrashed. It's worn through in a couple of spots and it's been run over a couple of times. Go ahead and get yourself a new one. If you don't like it I'll give you what you paid for it (after negotiating over beer and BBQ :) ) at the next GTG.

Done and done. Can we still negotiate even if there is nothing to negotaite:cheers:

Owl

I have used one for 4 to 5 years. 20" handle and a three pound head. They are great if you have to move around a lot. The twenty inch handle is just right for me here. I thought I might be under gunned/ axed but it is more than enough. I don't think the scabbard itself would even weigh a pound.

Fellas i cut with these days have them, and I'll order one as soon as I get to it. Holds it perfectly, stable, secure, out of the way, seems better than the ice axe loop I use on my chaps.

i've used one for four years now. I use the full harness with the leather shoulder pads and aluminum wedge pouch. You cant beat them on real steep ground. It also distributes the weight on your shoulders and not so much on your waist. it holds my 5 pound axe and 24" handle just fine, but the axe holder is taking it's toll on the leather belt. Just my 2 cents.

i've used one for four years now. I use the full harness with the leather shoulder pads and aluminum wedge pouch. You cant beat them on real steep ground. It also distributes the weight on your shoulders and not so much on your waist. it holds my 5 pound axe and 24" handle just fine, but the axe holder is taking it's toll on the leather belt. Just my 2 cents.

Harness? You mean like the fire crews use? Or something different? Where can I find one? Sounds like a good idea.

it is a comfortable way to carry an axe and another great benefit to me is I don't lose axes. I need to paint my axe electric blue!

Latest posts

Back