Aluminum axe scabbards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for pic's....

my favorite axe (keen kutter) weights right at 5lbs with a 32in handle.
how's that compare to what you guys in the bush carry?

I did not give any explanation along with my pics and I should have. I use this harness when I carry a fire shelter or for long hike ins. Normally I just carry a wedge belt and sometimes a small water bottle in a pouch. I agree with you in that too much weight and stuff to snag is a hazard. Sometimes I dump the harness or even the wedge belt and stuff the wedges in my back pockets. Prison Blues or Key jeans for me. I have not tried Big Bills.

At 56 I am not too agile so I like to keep the weight to a minimum when working a hazard tree. The axe stays against the tree, the wedges are in reach or in my back pocket, chaps are with the gas can, not even a Spencer tape to slow me down. But that aluminum axe scabbard is sure nice to have when there is a long walk to the trees.

There's no doubt that the pack in and out is the worst part of the gear we need. I'm like you 2Dogs, I got my P u s s y pad up on the strap of my pack.

I don't do it much, but when I pack The Barbie Saw in to do trail work, I have the bar padded instead of the shoulder. Being wimpy, and a not full time at thiser, my shoulder gets tired of carrying it so I switch to the other. Then, it can turn into a little bit of insulation to sit on, to kneel on either to pray that the tree will buck out in a not so scary way :) , or to do a quick chain filing. It is held together with duck tape of course.

anyone carry one of those new Fiskar axes with hollow handles?

weights much less... anytime I'm packing in... weight is at a premium.

I use a 4lbs. Collins. I like wood handles, they feel better to me. I usually leave my saw in the bush 3-4 nights a week, covered in Fir boughs between a couple of logs or some cover. That will make your trips signficantly lighter.

I use a 4lbs. Collins. I like wood handles, they feel better to me. I usually leave my saw in the bush 3-4 nights a week, covered in Fir boughs between a couple of logs or some cover. That will make your trips signficantly lighter.

do you ever forget where it is?

There is risk in leaving axes and gear overnight. Last week there were some hard feelings. One of the fallers had left his axe that he'd had for 18 years out. The yoder operator buried it while bunching logs. It turned out ok, they found the axe and it was not harmed. But I think they had a verbal confrontation.

There is risk in leaving axes and gear overnight. Last week there were some hard feelings. One of the fallers had left his axe that he'd had for 18 years out. The yoder operator buried it while bunching logs. It turned out ok, they found the axe and it was not harmed. But I think they had a verbal confrontation.

must be a well built axe

I have had oil jugs get worked over pretty hard by a black bear in the spring time. Used to have an 066 that had tooth marks in the handle. I think he had trouble starting it because it was thrown about a hundred feet down the hill. Its nice to work where you only have to worry about protecting your saw from the elements if you leave it in the brush. Too many two legged varmits around here.

I have had oil jugs get worked over pretty hard by a black bear in the spring time. Used to have an 066 that had tooth marks in the handle. I think he had trouble starting it because it was thrown about a hundred feet down the hill. Its nice to work where you only have to worry about protecting your saw from the elements if you leave it in the brush. Too many two legged varmits around here.

Hahaha. Yep, black bear love bar oil. I had a couple of 288's that carried scars from black bear.

Andy

anyone carry one of those new Fiskar axes with hollow handles?

weights much less... anytime I'm packing in... weight is at a premium.

I bought one a few years ago, I prefer a wooden handle though. They say the handle is unbreakable but I proved that to be wrong. They did send me another free with no questions asked. The back of the head is rather small and it wasn't flat so I had to file it down.
I know one fire crew that has been using them for a few years and seem to like them.

2DOGS,

Are you peeing on your christmas tree in post 22? Is that a California thing? Does is keep the deer out of the house? That is a real problem here in CT, our deer are so accustomed to us that they just walk in the front door and spread Lyme disease just by sneezing.

Looks like a great deterent. I'm gonna go pee on my tree right now.

Jason:)

nope, human wizz is known to attract deer because they smell an unfamiliar scent on their territory and they can tell whether its male or female. I know I'm proberly just a little bit late to join the party here haha

Well, since this thread has been dredged up from the depths of the forestry and logging forum.....Has anyone that said they were going to try one of the aluminum scabbards tryed it? If so how do you like em?

Andy

I still haven't gone back to one, that mean anything?

I looked back and saw I was about to start using one, I did buy one probably 3, i used them for about a year, but it was just another gadget (to me) that cost money and broke, and I was as happy or more without it.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm not falling as much as I was in 08, but I've still got mine and use it. I'm still using the one I made from roof flashing. It will not wear out.
I've been using one so long, that I feel neckid without it.

Andy

Latest posts

Back